Beadlock Bolt Maintenance

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
When checking my beadlock bolts on the beadlock ring on my ATX Slabs should they be retorqued while the weight of the Jeep is on them, or do they need to be checked and torqued with the wheel removed? Not sure?

:thinking::beer:

StrizzyChris

When checking my beadlock bolts on the beadlock ring on my ATX Slabs should they be retorqued while the weight of the Jeep is on them, or do they need to be checked and torqued with the wheel removed?

not sure what the manufacturor recomendations are, but I would do it with that tire off the ground. Not sure it matters that much though. Hell, do them both and give it some overkill. Just dont "little more for safe measure" them each time!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I always torque them with the jeep on the ground. Never had any issues with loose bolts.

i check them with the jeep sitting on the tires too and, assuming they were installed right, should for the most part be all be okay. in fact, i typically only do a sampling of bolts and will only go through the entire wheel if i find a few loose.

not sure what the manufacturor recomendations are, but I would do it with that tire off the ground. Not sure it matters that much though. Hell, do them both and give it some overkill. Just dont "little more for safe measure" them each time!

you only want to tighten the bolts to about 20-25 ft lbs of torque. i would NOT recommend giving them more than is recommended as that can break the sleeves in the wheel free and that would make future removal and installation more difficult.

StrizzyChris

i would NOT recommend giving them more than is recommended as that can break the sleeves in the wheel free and that would make future removal and installation more difficult.

That's what I was saying when I said to not "a little more for safe measure them"....but the way I wrote it kinda sounds weird lol

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
wayoflife said:
i check them with the jeep sitting on the tires too and, assuming they were installed right, should for the most part be all be okay. in fact, i typically only do a sampling of bolts and will only go through the entire wheel if i find a few loose.

you only want to tighten the bolts to about 20-25 ft lbs of torque. i would NOT recommend giving them more than is recommended as that can break the sleeves in the wheel free and that would make future removal and installation more difficult.

Not to mention it can strip aluminum wheel or snap the bolt heads off in the wheel

Reminds me, I broke two on swamp lake that I need to fix

Hightower

Good advice, I personally have a penchant to leave wheel maintenance until either you need to borrow someone else spare or tow trucks are your only option!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good advice, I personally have a penchant to leave wheel maintenance until either you need to borrow someone else spare or tow trucks are your only option!

:cheesy: man, i feel your pain and love that you can laugh about it :thumb:

DManuel

That was a long drive back from Moab for you. Hope to see you at the show next weekend. We will be there on Saturday. :standing wave:

Hightower

wayoflife said:
:cheesy: man, i feel your pain and love that you can laugh about it :thumb:

Live and learn! :)

DManuel said:
That was a long drive back from Moab for you. Hope to see you at the show next weekend. We will be there on Saturday. :standing wave:

Dave I'll be at the show until lunch than I have to pick up the family at LAX, I hope to see you guys there.

DManuel

Live and learn! :)

Dave I'll be at the show until lunch than I have to pick up the family at LAX, I hope to see you guys there.

OK. We have something in the morning but will try to reschedule and hit the show earlier. Would love to say hello in person. We will try to make it happen. Probably find you somewhere near the EVO booth? Just thinking. ;)

Hightower

DManuel said:
OK. We have something in the morning but will try to reschedule and hit the show earlier. Would love to say hello in person. We will try to make it happen. Probably find you somewhere near the EVO booth? Just thinking. ;)

Lol I'll PM you guys my cell # would be great to see you guys again.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking a quick run somewhere between LV and LA the week of the 7th is in order? :thinking:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Jkzinger said:
No problem! Did you see my Rubicon run post over on the Jk-Forum for the weekend of October 12-14?

No. Missed it. Let me check it out and my calendar.

Top Bottom