Bartact Winch Cover

dchew

Caught the Bug
Installed the Bartact winch cover.
  • It is some sort of nylon pack material. I don't think the material is waterproof, and probably isn't designed to be. I do like it better than the old Warn neoprene covers that just stayed wet until the sun baked it dry. Here in Ohio that happens at least once or twice per year. :rolleyes: This may have the same issue; time will tell.
  • The quality seems really good. Well made, fits great, good zippers and good design.
  • If you have a recessed winch bumper, it is not fun to install. See the pics below. There is really no space between the back and the grill, and very little on the front and sides. I had to pull the cinch cords from under the jeep. My bumper is an Expedition One Core (JK). I can't imagine taking it off to use the winch but you don't have to by design.
  • I like the idea of leaving the cover on all the time, but I might change my mind about that once I experience real scenarios.
  • The front flap is supposed to stay open with a strip of velcro, but the loop part of that strip is in the back of the cover, pinched to the grill. No way to use it to hold the flap open. It does seem to stay open anyway; see the last pic. Maybe I will stick a small piece of loop on the grill if it doesn't stay open during use.
  • If you don't have a recessed winch, I think it is very nice. If you do, its a "leave on all the time" cover, and if that bothers you try something else.
Thanks to @Jsouder53 for the suggestion.
Dave

After finger-jamb install:
winchcover_01.jpg

Driver side access; plenty of room to grab the zipper pulls:
winchcover_02.jpg

Front access; pretty tight:
winchcover_03.jpg

Pass side; very tight:
winchcover_04.jpg

Access flap; the other loop piece of velcro is in back, tight between the cover and grill:
winchcover_05.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
  • It is some sort of nylon pack material. I don't think the material is waterproof, and probably isn't designed to be. I do like it better than the old Warn neoprene covers that just stayed wet until the sun baked it dry. Here in Ohio that happens at least once or twice per year. :rolleyes: This may have the same issue; time will tell.
  • The quality seems really good. Well made, fits great, good zippers and good design.
  • If you have a recessed winch bumper, it is not fun to install. See the pics below. There is really no space between the back and the grill, and very little on the front and sides. I had to pull the cinch cords from under the jeep. My bumper is an Expedition One Core (JK). I can't imagine taking it off to use the winch but you don't have to by design.
  • I like the idea of leaving the cover on all the time, but I might change my mind about that once I experience real scenarios.
  • The front flap is supposed to stay open with a strip of velcro, but the loop part of that strip is in the back of the cover, pinched to the grill. No way to use it to hold the flap open. It does seem to stay open anyway; see the last pic. Maybe I will stick a small piece of loop on the grill if it doesn't stay open during use.
  • If you don't have a recessed winch, I think it is very nice. If you do, its a "leave on all the time" cover, and if that bothers you try something else.
Dave

winchcover_01.jpg

winchcover_02.jpg

winchcover_03.jpg

Pass side; very tight:
winchcover_04.jpg

Access flap; the other loop piece of velcro is in back, tight between the cover and grill:
winchcover_05.jpg
Great post and review! Would love to see how it holds up long term.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, Hope you're okay with me moving this into its own thread. I think it'd be easier for people to find, see and search for in the future.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Dave

winchcover_01.jpg

winchcover_02.jpg

winchcover_03.jpg

Pass side; very tight:
winchcover_04.jpg

winchcover_05.jpg
I hope it holds up for you as well is it has for me! Great write up, that is definitely a tight fit with the recessed bumper. As you have said, it works as a leave on cover. I haven’t taken it off since I put it on even though my winch isn’t recessed.

Top Bottom