Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

This sooo doesn't matter. Although it makes for great talking points for the scary news media, there are so many ways around this that the practical application of the Act to vehicles is meaningless.

Can't mess with the OEM computer? Fine, just run a parallel system for the motor (or a new motor for that matter). The automaker doesn't own your vehicle. They can't prevent you from changing parts out, but they may have the right to prevent you from hacking their computer software. So, just run a different computer for what you need. Certainly, the automaker can void your warranty but that is another issue.

If you ask me they are just making it legal for stealerships to strong arm people into having to take their cars back to the stealership to be worked on.

Idk why people call dealerships stealerships. It's one of only a few industries where the customers fucks us over more times a day than you get an oil change in a year. And the best part is that you guys need us much more than you think.

Idk why people call dealerships stealerships. It's one of only a few industries where the customers fucks us over more times a day than you get an oil change in a year. And the best part is that you guys need us much more than you think.

I get a strong feeling you work at a dealership.

I own one a jeep dealerships and it just upsets me when you guys say this because in the future the customer will be buying a car online. You won't be able to see your car, just an example of it and then the problems will really start. It wouldn't be that big of a deal for some of us Jeepers because we will know what we want. I have been sued many times because people work on their cars and didn't know. But I know the costs are high. And it sucks but costs are high for us too. I'm not saying that you guys shouldn't be able to work on your cars. I work on mine all the time and much rather do it in my garage then my shop. This will take a bigger toll on dealerships than customers.

I own one a jeep dealerships and it just upsets me when you guys say this because in the future the customer will be buying a car online. You won't be able to see your car, just an example of it and then the problems will really start. It wouldn't be that big of a deal for some of us Jeepers because we will know what we want. I have been sued many times because people work on their cars and didn't know. But I know the costs are high. And it sucks but costs are high for us too. I'm not saying that you guys shouldn't be able to work on your cars. I work on mine all the time and much rather do it in my garage then my shop. This will take a bigger toll on dealerships than customers.

First of all, calm down and wipe the foam from your mouth. I haven't even posted on this thread or said anything about stealerships. So calm down with the "you guys" stuff.
Secondly, calm down. I don't care what you own. Sorry the internet hurts your bottom line.

First of all, calm down and wipe the foam from your mouth. I haven't even posted on this thread or said anything about stealerships. So calm down with the "you guys" stuff.
Secondly, calm down. I don't care what you own. Sorry the internet hurts your bottom line.

I was saying you guys as a whole. Not singling you out. And the Internet doesn't hurt me. Sorry if I came off as a spaz but it's what I'm passionate about.

I was saying you guys as a whole. Not singling you out. And the Internet doesn't hurt me. Sorry if I came off as a spaz but it's what I'm passionate about.

No need to castigate forum members or jeepers because you own 10% of a dealership.

No need to castigate forum members or jeepers because you own 10% of a dealership.

Yeah only 10 percent. I need to start somewhere. And 10 percent wasn't cheap for me. I gambled everything I had for it. It is my favorite job I've had. I don't mean to cause problems. You have your feelings and I have mine. Agree to disagree?

Perhaps you should be more passionate about individual liberties, property rights, and the Constitution of the United States rather than standing by proposed legislation that reeks of big government fascism that helps your selfish bottom line.

I own one a jeep dealerships and it just upsets me when you guys say this because in the future the customer will be buying a car online. You won't be able to see your car, just an example of it and then the problems will really start.

When I was a kid, most people ordered their vehicles. Dealerships were relatively small and only stocked a few of each different model for test drives and impulse purchasers. The dealerships had lower inventory costs, property costs, insurance costs, and payroll costs. People actually bought the vehicle exactly as they wanted it, not the vehicle with the combination of features the dealer thought would sell best or provide the most margin. (I actually remember the excitement and anticipation related to waiting for the brand new Suburban my dad ordered to get delivered.) It is the difference between a dealer helping you get the vehicle you wanted versus a dealer trying to make you want the vehicle the dealer already has.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I would welcome a change back to the old days. Most, not all but most, dealerships have earned the title "stealership".

When I was a kid, most people ordered their vehicles. Dealerships were relatively small and only stocked a few of each different model for test drives and impulse purchasers. The dealerships had lower inventory costs, property costs, insurance costs, and payroll costs. People actually bought the vehicle exactly as they wanted it, not the vehicle with the combination of features the dealer thought would sell best or provide the most margin. (I actually remember the excitement and anticipation related to waiting for the brand new Suburban my dad ordered to get delivered.) It is the difference between a dealer helping you get the vehicle you wanted versus a dealer trying to make you want the vehicle the dealer already has.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I would welcome a change back to the old days. Most, not all but most, dealerships have earned the title "stealership".

I hate going to look at vehicles. It never fails, most places seem like if they don't have what you want on their lot they do their best to sell you what they do have on their lot instead of getting what you want.

One can hope. But if Tesla is an example the dealership owners will protest the government to make it illegal. :rolleyes2:

That's true. I think tesla will definitely make an impact but I hope manufactures can move to direct selling just with different tweaks. Let dealerships control financing as well as delivery. Customers get what they want, we get what we want. I would love that. Low new inventory costs, used car market, and service. Instead of dealerships costing 4-6 it's only 2-4.

That's true. I think tesla will definitely make an impact but I hope manufactures can move to direct selling just with different tweaks. Let dealerships control financing as well as delivery. Customers get what they want, we get what we want. I would love that. Low new inventory costs, used car market, and service. Instead of dealerships costing 4-6 it's only 2-4.

Sorry, but I will never use a dealerships financing. If they end up controlling that I'm done with the new car market.

Going to a dealership in my area is a joke. Every vehicle they all have are the higher end models with every option on them, driving the cost way up. Not to mention all the dealer fees and crap. My brother just received his 2015 mustang gt after ordering it and waiting two months. All the dealerships around here had fully loaded gt's and wanted $40k+ for them. All he wanted was a basic gt with the track pack. Took him 4 months to finally find a dealership that would let him order the car he wanted. Too many people around here just do what they're told, and they are the ones that make it difficult for everyone else.

Yea
My fiancé worked at dealerships and I can say they are full of the scum of the earth and not one but multiple dealerships she worked at and seeing these people and how they conduct business is mind blowing ... I told her IDE prefer she work at a strip club because at least there she would be getting paid for guys to openly eye rApe her lol not trying to attack u but there is a reason they are called stealers hips because they try to screw everyone over and no respect for anyone or anything ... I went to 4 jeep dealerships before I bought my latest Rubi ...

Of course dealers are going to try and sell you what they have in stock. They're paying floor plan interest on a bunch of overpriced, over-optioned Econo boxes. They want to get rid of them. OEM's have allotments of vehicles they ship to dealers. They don't give dealers a lot of options when they drop off the cars. Between regional sales numbers and forecasting they get what they get. I've worked in the auto industry for over 15 years and it's getting worse with corporate sales pressure. Dealerships earned the terrible reputation they have. Most are trying to be transparent with pricing and recommendations but 50 years of bad service takes a while to change.

Top Bottom