Atlas tail shaft replacement

Gecko13

Hey everyone, so in a prior thread I had questions about how to get the Speedo working on my tj. Apparently the atlas that was put in from the previous owner was for a jk. Thankfully they make a retrofit kit that changes out the tail shaft so a gear can be installed that will talk to the Speedo. Is this a fairly easy install or should I bring this to a transmission shop to do? I’ve never been inside a t case so I don’t know what to expect. I’ll attach a pic of the retrofit kit

Attachments

• DD2935F2-18C6-4131-AA35-BAC3F493B736.png
    DD2935F2-18C6-4131-AA35-BAC3F493B736.png
    317.6 KB · Views: 11

CalSgt

Hooked
I've never been inside an atlas but have been in a few chain driven cases (NP-208 & 241), if the only parts needed are in the picture I would bet you are capable if you are competent with common hand tools.

Worst case scenario, if you drop the T case and realize you are over your head you could take it to a transmission shop in pieces.

JT@623

Hooked
If you have access to a bearing press and are mechanically inclined it’s not to difficult. Small dab of silicone on the case and cover bolts some go through into the oil and will leak if not sealed. Also removing it and doing it on a bench makes it easier. Pretty good set of instructions on the Atlas page .

CalSgt

Hooked
I watched a time lapse of them building a 2 speed on youtube, looks pretty straight forward to disassemble to that point and reassemble. The one they built in the video shows them installing a plug in the speedo hole on the tail housing & saying "the plug covers the speedometer drive for a TJ or YJ but the JK does not use it so they cap it off so its still there if the owner decides to install in another vehicle..."

JT@623

Hooked
One more tip if you don’t have access to a press put the bearings in the oven at 325 for about 45 minutes they’ll usually slip on then just let them cool down

Top Bottom