Are WJs Any Good?

AileniJones

My cousin has an 01 Grand Cherokee 4.0 with about 180kmi on the clock. She says it has a bad camshaft. She's a 5 hour drive from me, so I haven't looked at it yet to confirm anything. Pictures show it's very clean. She wants $2,000. Are these any good? I know they were problematic with transmissions and some electrical issues.

Good deal or run away?

jamesrw30

I had a 04 Laredo. 4.0L and select trak transfer case. Loved the thing. Had around 204k when I sold it. Had some rust holes in the rockers because it was a TN/VA vehicle when I bought it while living up there but ran like a top. I never had trans or electrical problems with mine. As I recall I had very little problems outside of normal stuff like a starter and brakes, etc. It did leak some oil from around the valve cover and I'm sure other places. Not enough to run low but she marked her territory. Had 3 inch lift and 31s. It was a great vehicle. Radiator finally decided to let go so I sold it on and upgraded to my JK. Did really well off-road to be open diffs.

AileniJones

I had a 04 Laredo. 4.0L and select trak transfer case. Loved the thing. Had around 204k when I sold it. Had some rust holes in the rockers because it was a TN/VA vehicle when I bought it while living up there but ran like a top. I never had trans or electrical problems with mine. As I recall I had very little problems outside of normal stuff like a starter and brakes, etc. It did leak some oil from around the valve cover and I'm sure other places. Not enough to run low but she marked her territory. Had 3 inch lift and 31s. It was a great vehicle. Radiator finally decided to let go so I sold it on and upgraded to my JK. Did really well off-road to be open diffs.
Thanks for the reply; glad to hear it was a 4.0 without any trans or eletrical issues. I heard the 4.0s had the problematic transmissions in comparison to the V8s. I'm hoping for more pictures tomorrow to see if there's any rust. It's a Colorado vehicle, but all mountain life, so it's harsh winters.

Thanks again. Your reply helps.

jamesrw30

Depending on what you're wanting to do with it some rust may not matter. If you're looking for a beater/trail rig just roll with it. Aftermarket parts used to be more expensive and harder to come by than Wrangler parts. I had an IRO lift and trackbar, procomp shocks, factory wheels and hankook dynapro ATM tires. Was a solid combo. I really liked the iro lift bit rode really well and performed well off-road. Threw some Solid diff covers on also and used and abused it.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Not certain about the WJ, but the 4.0 in the XJ was backed up with an AW4 automatic which I think is a Toyota trans. The AW4 is a durable transmission. The WJ has good Jeep bones with solid axles axles front and rear and 4. link suspension front & rear. Our WJ, with a mild lift and 31 or 32 inch tires did great on the trails. Never should have gotten rid of it.

4.0 engine is an anvil. 180,000 miles on the straight 6 is nothing.

Weak points were the factory driveshafts, but when the time comes, a call to Tom Woods can take care of that.

WJs are easy to work on.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not certain about the WJ, but the 4.0 in the XJ was backed up with an AW4 automatic which I think is a Toyota trans. The AW4 is a durable transmission. The WJ has good Jeep bones with solid axles axles front and rear and 4. link suspension front & rear. Our WJ, with a mild lift and 31 or 32 inch tires did great on the trails. Never should have gotten rid of it.

4.0 engine is an anvil. 180,000 miles on the straight 6 is nothing.

Weak points were the factory driveshafts, but when the time comes, a call to Tom Woods can take care of that.

WJs are easy to work on.
Tom woods is trash.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Tom woods is trash.
I disagree. The Tom Woods shafts I've used have all given good service. We've always got good customer service from Tom Woods. Their 1 year warranty covers the drive shaft, the u-joints and any damage to the driveshaft done by the u-joint failing.

WJCO

Meme King
I disagree. The Tom Woods shafts I've used have all given good service. We've always got good customer service from Tom Woods. Their 1 year warranty covers the drive shaft, the u-joints and any damage to the driveshaft done by the u-joint failing.
1) I recall them being major douchebags.
2) Are they still using those cheap ujoints?

Top Bottom