ARB twin wiring harness fire.

So the other day my 10 year old ARB twin compressor stopped working A few minutes later a fire started in the wiring and luckily we got it out before any real damage. So I ordered a new one and got it a few days later. After rewiring it I found where the wiring harness had melted and caught on fire. Crazy after 10 years it finally stopped working. Luckily my jeep didn’t burn up.

Attachments

• IMG_3710.jpeg
    IMG_3710.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 36

CalSgt

Hooked
So the other day my 10 year old ARB twin compressor stopped working A few minutes later a fire started in the wiring and luckily we got it out before any real damage. So I ordered a new one and got it a few days later. After rewiring it I found where the wiring harness had melted and caught on fire. Crazy after 10 years it finally stopped working. Luckily my jeep didn’t burn up.
Was it fused (or fusable link) near the battery?

CJ has a JK

I am so glad you posted this, I am about to purchase an ARB 12v Twin, and I was trying to decide to have it installed onboard, or get the boxed version w/ alligator clips. I'm now leaning towards the boxed version! Good luck with your new harness, happy jeepin'! :giggle:

Attachments

• boxed 12v.jpg
    boxed 12v.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 4

GP NOIR

Hooked
Ya I always knew it got SUPER hot...
That's called ignoring hits to the head with a clue by four.

I've got a dual mounted under the hood of my JK and so far, the wires don't run hot. The compressor does. All compressors run hot from compressing air.

If the wires are hot, they're carrying too much amperage for the wire diameter. The problem can be as simple as running too small of a gauge for the distance and amps or as complicated as high resistance in the circuit and/or a problem with the appliance(s).

My ARB is used only for airing up tires. While running the trails, the compressor is off- except when I forget to turn it off.

That's called ignoring hits to the head with a clue by four.

I've got a dual mounted under the hood of my JK and so far, the wires don't run hot. The compressor does. All compressors run hot from compressing air.

If the wires are hot, they're carrying too much amperage for the wire diameter. The problem can be as simple as running too small of a gauge for the distance and amps or as complicated as high resistance in the circuit and/or a problem with the appliance(s).

My ARB is used only for airing up tires. While running the trails, the compressor is off- except when I forget to turn it off.
I didn’t extend the lines or anything. All factory wiring harness only.

I am so glad you posted this, I am about to purchase an ARB 12v Twin, and I was trying to decide to have it installed onboard, or get the boxed version w/ alligator clips. I'm now leaning towards the boxed version! Good luck with your new harness, happy jeepin'! :giggle:
It’s so nice having it in the jeep at all times. I have the twin installed in my work truck, my 392, and my JK and haven’t had a problem with them till now. This one is 10 years old and has been used ALOT, from airing up 40’s 100’s of times to running my ARB lockers so it’s always switched on on the trail.

After more digging and taking the ARB apart I found the issue. One of the air compressors came apart and sheared a bolt holding it together so it has probably been working only one side for awhile. You can see in the pics that one side still has the bolt holding it together and one doesn’t. Then the sheared bolt in the next photo.

Attachments

• IMG_3719.jpeg
    IMG_3719.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3720.jpeg
    IMG_3720.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3721.jpeg
    IMG_3721.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 18
After more digging and taking the ARB apart I found the issue. One of the air compressors came apart and sheared a bolt holding it together so it has probably been working only one side for awhile. You can see in the pics that one side still has the bolt holding it together and one doesn’t. Then the sheared bolt in the next photo.

Thanks for following this thru. I knew it had to be something.

Have you seen how big this thing is with the box? Might as well get an ARB fridge.

Yea this thing is clunky. I have it and wish I had on-board. I bought the suitcase one years ago thinking I might use it for air tools but the external tank isn’t really big enough for that, so it’s kind of redundant. The compressor basically runs the whole time I’m filling up my tires.

J. Dub

I'd be worried about heat w/ the boxed version.

jeeeep

Hooked
good to know, I've got mine mounted under the hood and about to check it over since it's been hot AF lately.

May be mind tricks from the heat or the neighbor burning his grill clean, but I swear I smelled burnt wiring a few days ago.

Jackboeker83

I posted this in another thread but I think it fits here as well....

I have a twin ARB and its installed under my front passenger seat. I also have the Kraken inflation system (all 4 tires at once). This past trip to Moab and Colorado I aired up all 4 of my 40s from 8 to 28 plus 2 of my friends 37s from 8 to 29 and never had an issue getting hot. Since its installed under my passenger seat I turn on the AC and put it on the floor vents maxed out. After airing up 6 tires it was still cool to the touch, a little warm but not even close to burning your hand. Pretty happy with the setup.

Top Bottom