Any known parasitic draws on 2020 Gladiator?

SeaSharp

I have replaced the factory batteries with the Genesis offroad dual battery system along with Oddessey batteries. Love this setup but now that I can monitor voltage on both batteries with the led screen I'm noticing a pretty huge parasitic draw on *both* batteries. The cranking battery is the absolute worse one. After driving for 5 hours (so I know the battery is fully charged and topped off) it will be down to 12.1 in two days. That's a pretty hefty draw.

My question is simple, does any know of any parasitic draws on a 2020 Gladiator? Instead of checking every possible combination I was hoping to get lucky and someone say "yep, check this and this" and that's probably your problem.

Thank you!

Brute

Hooked
I have replaced the factory batteries with the Genesis offroad dual battery system along with Oddessey batteries. Love this setup but now that I can monitor voltage on both batteries with the led screen I'm noticing a pretty huge parasitic draw on *both* batteries. The cranking battery is the absolute worse one. After driving for 5 hours (so I know the battery is fully charged and topped off) it will be down to 12.1 in two days. That's a pretty hefty draw.

My question is simple, does any know of any parasitic draws on a 2020 Gladiator? Instead of checking every possible combination I was hoping to get lucky and someone say "yep, check this and this" and that's probably your problem.

Thank you!
I’ve had a parasitic draw from the Genesis isolator…I’ve since replaced the Genesis system with a different isolator

kevman65

Hooked
There is a "Smart Link" on both the stock set up and the Genesis set up.

They both will draw power to monitor the condition of each battery. If I let my JT sit for a week or so it is low on juice.

SeaSharp

I've found Genesis to have really good support so I've emailed this thread hoping they have a fix. If I hear back I'll update this thread. Thank you.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I’m yanking the Genesis out of a friend’s Jeep. It’s been non-stop parasitic draw for several years and has ruined multiple sets of batteries.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
There are three mods that I regret ever doing. The s-Pod, a cold air intake, and dual battery system.

With all these low-draw accesses and onboard computers running efficiently, a dual battery system just isn't necessary unless you want to buy batteries two-at-a-time, cause you won't know what's up until they're both dead.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There are three mods that I regret ever doing. The s-Pod, a cold air intake, and dual battery system.

With all these low-draw accesses and onboard computers running efficiently, a dual battery system just isn't necessary unless you want to buy batteries two-at-a-time, cause you won't know what's up until they're both dead.
Couldn't have said it better.

duktrx

I agree with your assessment. Full disclosure I don't have a fridge in the Jeep, so I don't have anything that needs to be powered when the engine is not running.

My second battery works flawlessly and takes up far less space than a dual battery setup. I bought it at Costco, it tells me how much of a charge remains, and it fits next to the lockbox under my driver's seat. If I do something stupid and drain the main battery down, I take it and attach it directly to the main battery and start my Jeep. I believe Eddie did a video once about the setup I have; it was what pushed me over the edge; I was skeptical about such a small backup jump box being able to work.

JimLee

Hooked
Interesting post. Wonder if they every heard back from Genesis. Glad I found this before I purchased the Genesis.
The new Genesis system uses a solid state switch which doesn't require holding a solenoid closed, which is the reason for the draw on the old system. On a JL if you leave a door or tailgate open, or the fob too close to the vehicle sometimes the computer doesn't go to sleep and it can drain quite a bit off your starting battery. I disagree with above statement about the computers being efficient. The same thing happens sometimes when some people tow JLs behind motor homes, the computer doesn't go to sleep and they arrive at their destination with a dead battery. Don't take my word for it, google it. I've had my starting battery get down below 12 volts on 2 different occasions just by leaving a tailgate open (interior lights shut off with dimmer switch), my Jeep is part of my camp. Both times my dual batt system saved my ass, because the batt that wasn't connected to the Jeeps factory electrical system was still full. But I also have a hood solar panel that more than compensates for the small draw that the old Genesis system pulls (in the sun obviously). I also don't let my Jeep sit for days or weeks without running it. I'm not poo pooing on other people's reasons for not wanting a dual batt system, just giving you another perspective. I like my system, but I understood it's negative points and planned for them, and it's paid off. I also periodically recondition my batts, unless you are driving a lot most alternator's can't maintain 2 full size AGMs properly. I am at 4 years on my odyssey batts, and they are still going strong. I'm good with that, some people may not be but I am. Yup, it's a mod like many others that requires some planning and maintenance. Ok, I'm out before the wolf pack descends.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That Gen 3 system looks cool and I sincerely hope it works as advertised. The original system was a bust though…there is no getting around it.

Satsfyd1

What system does the 2023 JT have for a battery set up?

What I really don’t like it is the dash and screen turning on when I just need to open the door to grab something.

trailraider

I personally like having two batteries.
I run all my external accessories off the second battery. The ARB is the main reason I installed the second. (I like ice cream samiches on the trail).
I built my own system rather then buying one already built and the jeep can sit indefinately with out the batteries going dead so long as the fridge is disconected. It's not for everyone and not needed in most cases. I spend days out in the bush and having the option of the fridge over a cooler was the main reason for my choice on the duel.

Top Bottom