Another Vibration issue

Trigg

I'll start from the beginning. I bought the jeep 5 years ago its a 02 TJ 4.0 Auto RC 3 inch lift with t-case drop everything else stock. Ran smooth as butter. A few weeks after buying I got stuck and went to put in 4low and got some grinding action . The next day I was getting a vibration from my rear end at around 35 and up. Did the google searching and found out that a SYE might be the ticket.

I bought a tom woods driveshaft, sye kit, rear trackbar, transmission mount "the bar on one end was broken off and tilted up", and rear upper control arms. That fixed the 40-45mph clunky shaking feeling. But produced a harmonic vibration and possibly still a little angle issue. I've adjusted the pinion angle dozens of times, balanced the tires more times then I care to count.

Which brings me to these last to years, I have replaced the front track bar, installed anti-rock, replaced rear sway bar bushings, removed the front shaft and still had harmonic vibration.

Things I know, the control arm bushings are cracked and i can not move them around. The rear uppers and track bar bushings still look new. The rear pinion angle is set 2 degrees below " this gave me the best results", The transfer case has a small leak maybe a drop or two a day from a bolt on the tail housing. rear gear teeth look great for 106k miles. Trans shifts fine and the engine runs great. There is fair amount of grim build up on the back side of my driver rear drum.

To date I get a harmonic vibration at 55+ and every so often the shaky vibration like the rear angle is off. Since this winter I have noticed that when I drive in the morning when its really cold that the harmonic vibration is way less still there but not as pronounced.

I'm not sure if I messed up the transfer case 5 years ago and this is a bi-product "the transfer case shifts fine to this date" and when I installed the SYE there was nothing out of the ordinary going on inside the transfer case.

Thing I'm going to try: remove rear shaft and drive, have it balanced, and replace rear lower control arms.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, I love this jeep but this vibration is starting to get annoying.

WJCO

Meme King
I'll start from the beginning. I bought the jeep 5 years ago its a 02 TJ 4.0 Auto RC 3 inch lift with t-case drop everything else stock. Ran smooth as butter. A few weeks after buying I got stuck and went to put in 4low and got some grinding action . The next day I was getting a vibration from my rear end at around 35 and up. Did the google searching and found out that a SYE might be the ticket.

I bought a tom woods driveshaft, sye kit, rear trackbar, transmission mount "the bar on one end was broken off and tilted up", and rear upper control arms. That fixed the 40-45mph clunky shaking feeling. But produced a harmonic vibration and possibly still a little angle issue. I've adjusted the pinion angle dozens of times, balanced the tires more times then I care to count.

Which brings me to these last to years, I have replaced the front track bar, installed anti-rock, replaced rear sway bar bushings, removed the front shaft and still had harmonic vibration.

Things I know, the control arm bushings are cracked and i can not move them around. The rear uppers and track bar bushings still look new. The rear pinion angle is set 2 degrees below " this gave me the best results", The transfer case has a small leak maybe a drop or two a day from a bolt on the tail housing. rear gear teeth look great for 106k miles. Trans shifts fine and the engine runs great. There is fair amount of grim build up on the back side of my driver rear drum.

To date I get a harmonic vibration at 55+ and every so often the shaky vibration like the rear angle is off. Since this winter I have noticed that when I drive in the morning when its really cold that the harmonic vibration is way less still there but not as pronounced.

I'm not sure if I messed up the transfer case 5 years ago and this is a bi-product "the transfer case shifts fine to this date" and when I installed the SYE there was nothing out of the ordinary going on inside the transfer case.

Thing I'm going to try: remove rear shaft and drive, have it balanced, and replace rear lower control arms.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, I love this jeep but this vibration is starting to get annoying.

I would suggest the rebalance first. Then recheck.

Top Bottom