Aloha From NORCAL, Old Toyota Guy Going to Make the switch, need your help :)

Wizzard005

Aloha Everyone,

I have been wheeling in 10+ years, I sold my SASd 4Runner when I moved to Hawaii back in 2005/06 Here is a pic of her:

DSC00611.jpg

I did all of the work myself, but know nothing about jeeps. Only thing I know is I wanted a Unlimited, but not sure if i should go Rubicon or whatnot. My old ride had ARB's Front and back, I really liked that, I would like to do that to the jeep also.

So anyways, i will be reading around the forum and gathering my info for the Buy / Build.

Welcome to the forum!!! If you know nothing about jeeps,, it looks like you have a ton of research to do,, but fun research. My only advise if you dont want a performance dog, would be to buy a 12 or newer for the new motor! Good luck!!:beer:

Good to know, only thing that i need to figure out, I will end up prob replacing the axels etc, so i wonder if i should get a stock whatever 12+ jeep and then just build on the goodies... The rubicon is rear locker and better suspension right? But I wont be keeping that stuff, so ya :)

This is going to be so much fun, I will be buying something in the next few months

Good to know, only thing that i need to figure out, I will end up prob replacing the axels etc, so i wonder if i should get a stock whatever 12+ jeep and then just build on the goodies... The rubicon is rear locker and better suspension right? But I wont be keeping that stuff, so ya :)

This is going to be so much fun, I will be buying something in the next few months

Welcome! Where about in Norcal? I'm down in Dublin.

The Rubicon also gets you the 4:1 transfer case, electronic sway bar disconnect, electronic front and rear lockers. The e-lockers may not matter if you change out the axles, however, the front components can be swapped into a ProRock44 if so desired.

Looking forward to the build!
-ERAU

Sacramento, Antelope... are stock axles good enough for 37's? Not sure what the going size for tires are these days lol...

If you want better axles sooner then I would go sport/sahara. If you wanna wheel the stock axles for a while, then probably rubi. Kinda depends on your end state goals and how you want to get there.

Sacramento, Antelope... are stock axles good enough for 37's? Not sure what the going size for tires are these days lol...

Good question! I'm in that pickle right now. The rear Dana 44 is adequate for 37s (may consider upgrading the shafts). However, the front is a different story. Rather than the 3" tubes, the front Dana 44 has 2.5" tubes which are the same as the Dana 30.

Lots of folks add gussets to the front Cs and change out the shafts for full circle chomoly shafts. They'll run that until something breaks and then upgrade to a ProRock 44 or 60 from Dynatrac.

FWIW, my plan is to gusset the front axle along with chomoly shafts. Thinking that if I am light on the skinny pedal, it should last a long time. :)

Good luck!
ERAU

Welcome to WOL! Great looking 4Runner. As others have said, the cheaper option is the sport. however, you can always sell the 44s from the Rubi to help recoup funds.

Good question! I'm in that pickle right now. The rear Dana 44 is adequate for 37s (may consider upgrading the shafts). However, the front is a different story. Rather than the 3" tubes, the front Dana 44 has 2.5" tubes which are the same as the Dana 30.

Lots of folks add gussets to the front Cs and change out the shafts for full circle chomoly shafts. They'll run that until something breaks and then upgrade to a ProRock 44 or 60 from Dynatrac.

FWIW, my plan is to gusset the front axle along with chomoly shafts. Thinking that if I am light on the skinny pedal, it should last a long time. :)

Good luck!
ERAU

I will prob end up doing what your going to do, seems like the best choice. I like the Idea of swtching them out for the Dynatrac 60, but not sure if i want to go that extreme..

I also want to consider supercharger I think... I so getting so happy with going to be able to be a part of something like this, I feel like I am cheating on my Toyota, but I considered 2012 tacoma, and then SAS is mad money VS just building a jeep, I like how they make stuff for jeeps vs having to custom everything for the toyota....

So Sport vs Rubicon same engine , same transfer etc? I think that may be a good choice knowing i am going to get rid of the stock stuff ASAP.

I will prob end up doing what your going to do, seems like the best choice. I like the Idea of swtching them out for the Dynatrac 60, but not sure if i want to go that extreme..

I also want to consider supercharger I think... I so getting so happy with going to be able to be a part of something like this, I feel like I am cheating on my Toyota, but I considered 2012 tacoma, and then SAS is mad money VS just building a jeep, I like how they make stuff for jeeps vs having to custom everything for the toyota....

So Sport vs Rubicon same engine , same transfer etc? I think that may be a good choice knowing i am going to get rid of the stock stuff ASAP.

Same engine but sport transfer case is 2.72-1 rubi case is 4-1

Different transfer cases between the the two, different low range.

I went through this delima but knew axles would be a long way off. I also had wanted a rubi for 10 years, since it came out on the TJ. So I went Rubi, twice now. Second one for the new motor and auto tranny which I love. For the money I spent to step up to the new one I could have done an LS3 swap on the old one. Sometimes I wish I had, but then axles would still been a problem (more power).

Enjoy the frustration of the search and research your decisions well. There are tons of opinions out there.

Oh and welcome.

so far thanks for the info! I Start looking for something in a few months, hoping to have it built in the wiinter or before next summer. I am planing on doing it all at once, and then I gotta find myself a norcal jeep club :) ..

I simply can not wait to get out there again.....

Top Bottom