Air Compressors - On Board or Not

Glenn

Just want some insight on a reliable source of air for airing back up after a trail run. Been using a conventional car compressor and I'm now in search of something reputable and reliable for off road use - mounted on board or not. What compressors you guys running and why?
I have the ARB twin setup under the front passenger seat. Keeps everything nice and clean. It is also useful to give the wife a stir when things get to quiet.😁

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
Warn PowerPlant 9.5
Bought the rig with it installed and I'm happy to have it. Not the fastest but location and integration are a perfect fit. Of course they are no longer made but second hand one come up on rare occasion.

GP NOIR

Hooked
It’s become obvious the ARB compressor mounted under the hood gets REALLY hot. I mean hot enough to burn your fingers through leather gloves hot. That’s before the compressor is started! The under hood heat from running off-roading gets the compressor cases and air fittings painfully hot. The temperature gets worse when airing up. Something has to be done.

Ideas I’m toying with include designing cooling ducts and a fan and moving the intakes to where they pull in cold air. Ha! Won’t that be a hoot to add “cold air intakes for ARB compressor “ to my list of modifications!

It’s become obvious the ARB compressor mounted under the hood gets REALLY hot. I mean hot enough to burn your fingers through leather gloves hot. That’s before the compressor is started! The under hood heat from running off-roading gets the compressor cases and air fittings painfully hot. The temperature gets worse when airing up. Something has to be done.

Ideas I’m toying with include designing cooling ducts and a fan and moving the intakes to where they pull in cold air. Ha! Won’t that be a hoot to add “cold air intakes for ARB compressor “ to my list of modifications!
Cool air is more dense so if the air is cooler going into the compressor, the tires will inflate faster. Maybe you can get cold air from the air conditioning system.

TrailHunter

Hooked

I just open the hood and deal with it. Let it cool for a few minutes before, during and after airing up. Hasn’t been an issue in 5 years of using the ARB twin.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I had a dual on my JK after upgrading my Small compressor that only charged the lockers. It took like 20 seconds to charge both which is an insufferable wait when you are at the bottom of an obstacle and jeeps are waiting behind you. On my JT I'm running a single with Eddie's ACM since it's a rubicon and no longer need air for the lockers. just to air up.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
Good info here. I will be running 42/13.5r20s. I am still on the fence between power tank and the ARB twin. Anyone have an idea of airup time for the twin? Or how many 42s I can airup on a 20lb tank? PT claims 24 but I here they tend to be on the wishfull side with their estimates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom