Afton Canyon puddle conditions?

davantalus

I was thinking about heading down Afton Canyon, following roughly the same route as the "2014 Kickoff"

Anyone done the Afton canyon "gatekeeper" water crossing since it rained out in the desert two weeks ago?

Or have an idea whether it might be impassible for a stock jkur?

Thanks in advance!

I was thinking about heading down Afton Canyon, following roughly the same route as the "2014 Kickoff"

Anyone done the Afton canyon "gatekeeper" water crossing since it rained out in the desert two weeks ago?

Or have an idea whether it might be impassible for a stock jkur?

Thanks in advance!

Haven't been out there since the kick off but my assumption is we did not get enough rain to make it impassable. Even if the rains did raise the water level is would probably have subsided by now. If it impassable is you can always go back out to I-15 and head North to the next off ramp (Basin Rd.) and exit there and access the canyon from the Eastern end. That's where we took the big group photo by the bridge. Also just a fun fact. The two water crossings have names. The First one (Near the post and cable fence) is the Betty Ford. The second one (near the railroad bridge) is the Gerald Ford. They get their names because they are water crossings...haha

Betty Ford.jpg
Betty Ford

Gerald Ford.jpg
Gerald Ford

Last edited:
Top Bottom