ABS went out mid trail, for the third time!

Dethrok

I’ve had issues with the ABS system on my 2020 Rubicon Recon JLU since I purchased it new in 2020.

About a year into ownership, I got my first SERV 4WD warning while starting a trail in Moab. It was super muddy/wet, so they took it in and cleaned them off. Was fine driving around, but a few months later it went out again, this time on another trail, disabling 4WD again. This time the dealer replaced both rear units.

I did a few trips in the late winter, no problems, but this weekend it did it again half way thru a yellow trail in the San Rafael Swell (Eva Conover)

This time, I pulled the two rear and checked/ cleaned them off on trail (since I figured I better know how).

I never got 4WD back - luckily the trail was pretty tame - but having never run the latter before I was afraid I'd be winching over anything challenging. Turned out fine but not without some stress.

I was kinda unhappy that it was happening again after two bouts of SERV 4WD disabling the main reason for the jeep, but as I hosed it off at home I found something new: a dangling piece of the ABS harness that had been severed some how.

Looks like the issue, thought I don’t know what could have ripped it out like that. The trail wasn’t super challenging (as stated) but here we are.

Last picture for my camp mid-trail. Spectacular place.

Attachments

• ACE5C655-EE95-453A-9ED1-DDEA6BD47598.jpeg
    ACE5C655-EE95-453A-9ED1-DDEA6BD47598.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 5E235906-35DB-4043-A94E-7D4672C0B9D0.jpeg
    5E235906-35DB-4043-A94E-7D4672C0B9D0.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 38
  • CE067A41-A837-478B-989A-1A1F76C4DB83.jpeg
    CE067A41-A837-478B-989A-1A1F76C4DB83.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
😂😂 Lol. These were SOOC pictures (straight out of camera). It was wet after hosing it down and it is all kinda dark/black under there.

Last edited:
Looks like the issue, tho I don’t know what could have ripped it out like that. The trail wasn’t super challenging (as stated) but here we are.

Yea the only time I’ve damaged those wires ever was one time I swapped hubs and forgot to clip the ABS wire back into the retaining clip…!

maybe it had come unclipped and snagged just then. Who knows.

looks like I’ll be buying a new ABS sensor wire and I’m back in business. Rather replace than patch. Two little wires and a 60k 4WD vehicle is disabled.

Yea the only time I’ve damaged those wires ever was one time I swapped hubs and forgot to clip the ABS wire back into the retaining clip…!

Last edited:
you should articulate the axle in your driveway to make sure you've got enough slack in that ABS, it either did not have enough slack or it got hooked on something during articulation and got yanked out.

Had similar issue on my JKU, the ABS line was plenty long but during certain articulation, I noticed the line would twist up in the wrong direction and get hung in the coil.

Good idea. Will do.

Turns out the ABS sensors are backordered until end of may (according to dealer). Nice.

If anyone has a line on these, I'd sure hate to be out for over a month (though given this crappy winter hanging on...)

Last edited:
Good idea. Will do.

Turns out the ABS sensors are backordered until end of may (according to dealer). Nice.

If anyone has a line on these, I'd sure hate to be out for over a month (though given this crappy winter hanging on...)
You could order a new hub thats comes with a ABS wire and have a hub as backup. With a 2020 and presumably with large tires, you may be needing one (or two) soon enough anyway.

On a JK pulling the ABS Pump fuse and one other related fuse (forget what it's called) will disable the system and let you drive your Jeep. It also disables cruise control, speedo & odo. Might work on a JL.

you should articulate the axle in your driveway to make sure you've got enough slack in that ABS, it either did not have enough slack or it got hooked on something during articulation and got yanked out.

Had similar issue on my JKU, the ABS line was plenty long but during certain articulation, I noticed the line would twist up in the wrong direction and get hung in the coil.

This is a good point.
I didn’t think to ask, but do you have the ABS line zipped tied to your brake line? Always helps keep it from squirreling around.

This is a good point.
I didn’t think to ask, but do you have the ABS line zipped tied to your brake line? Always helps keep it from squirreling around.
in my case, I did. the extended brake line curve would also twist out in the wrong direction. Disconnecting the brake line and pre-counter twisting it solved any potential issue of either line getting caught in the coils and still easily extend without causing strain on the lines.

in my case, I did. the extended brake line curve would also twist out in the wrong direction. Disconnecting the brake line and pre-counter twisting it solved any potential issue of either line getting caught in the coils and still easily extend without causing strain on the lines.

My bad, I meant for the zip tie suggestion to be for @Dethrok

But I know exactly what you mean. A few years ago, my passenger side was clocked too far outward and my tire was rubbing on the brake line at full turn…Took me a bit to figure it out.

Top Bottom