A Long Cut Across Nevada

jcruse64

Nice! 4 years ago, we spent a week or so around Tahoe, and came back home with HWY 50, because I wanted to stop at Great Basin National Park to see the Bristlecone Pines. Very different drive than our trip out, mostly in I80, and I loved it. Really want to hit Great Basin again some day. We only had a 1/2 day, and time for 1 hike up to a small stand of the trees, but it was very cool. Lots of nice stuff to see in rural Nevada.

What a rad trip. I don’t think many people realize just how beautiful the west is. Nevada is most certainly underrated and in a way… I think it’s a good thing. Probably helps keep it somewhat preserved.
As I recall, Nevada is perhaps the most mountainous state. But most people are unaware of that. There are only a few National Forests there, and most of them require driving 60+ miles on a dirt road to get to anything. Sounds good to me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What a rad trip. I don’t think many people realize just how beautiful the west is. Nevada is most certainly underrated and in a way… I think it’s a good thing. Probably helps keep it somewhat preserved.
Definitely a good thing and I hope that it stays that way.
nice to get out like that.
Texas has some cool side roads but you're quickly met with a fence and usually not enough space to actually pull off the road (y) (sarcastic thumbs up)
It really is unfortunate just how much of Texas is owned and fenced up.
Very nice pics! It’s fun to mix it up when traveling to the same area all the time. Thanks for sharing yet another awesome area I need to explore someday. 👍
Hope you can get out there with us sometime :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! 4 years ago, we spent a week or so around Tahoe, and came back home with HWY 50, because I wanted to stop at Great Basin National Park to see the Bristlecone Pines. Very different drive than our trip out, mostly in I80, and I loved it. Really want to hit Great Basin again some day. We only had a 1/2 day, and time for 1 hike up to a small stand of the trees, but it was very cool. Lots of nice stuff to see in rural Nevada.
Oh yeah, driving along 50 is very different than I80. Great Basin is super nice too.
That canyon looks really cool, thanks for sharing!
The canyon is way cool and even the site of some movies for obvious reasons :)
Look like an aweome day! Look like a fun trip.
Thanks and yes, it was just what the doctor ordered!
Nice little trip. Middlegate looks familiar. 😉🥃🥃
LOL - tons of good times there for sure.

It's always fun to take the route less traveled. We're in northern AZ right now and will probably take old route 66 for much of our return home.
It took me a while to find an independent Route 66 through Kingman. But it seems that Route 66 is mostly IH-40 now (through Williams).

jesse3638

Hooked
It took me a while to find an independent Route 66 through Kingman. But it seems that Route 66 is mostly IH-40 now (through Williams).
Yeah route 66 runs through Wiliiams and kind of criss crosses the I-40 to the East. Heading west Route 66 is I-40 until just past Ash Fork. Then you can take pick it up and head through Seligman and on to Peach Springs down to Kingman. Then it turns back into the I-40 to the Oatman highway all the way to Topok (actually county road 10). Then you can pick up National Trails Highway and Old National Trails Rd and I believe Highway 95 to Needles. Then get back on I-40 to Highway 95 to Goffs rd all the way to Fenner. The road is closed from Essex to Kelbaker Rd but there are bypasses where the road and bridges have been washed out. You can continue on through Amboy to Ludlow and onto Newberry Springs. You head through Dagget and then it runs right down the center of MCLB Barstow and into Mainstreet in Barstow.

Yeah route 66 runs through Wiliiams and kind of criss crosses the I-40 to the East. Heading west Route 66 is I-40 until just past Ash Fork. Then you can take pick it up and head through Seligman and on to Peach Springs down to Kingman. Then it turns back into the I-40 to the Oatman highway all the way to Topok (actually county road 10). Then you can pick up National Trails Highway and Old National Trails Rd and I believe Highway 95 to Needles. Then get back on I-40 to Highway 95 to Goffs rd all the way to Fenner. The road is closed from Essex to Kelbaker Rd but there are bypasses where the road and bridges have been washed out. You can continue on through Amboy to Ludlow and onto Newberry Springs. You head through Dagget and then it runs right down the center of MCLB Barstow and into Mainstreet in Barstow.
After I noticed that it is the road which goes through Peach Springs, I knew it was already on my "must visit" list. I learned about it due to watching a movie about an indigenous fry bread competition (which was pretty entertaining) called "More Than Fry bread".

Top Bottom