68' M715 AKA "Smokey", 8.1 engine on links, coils and 40's

Really nice rear departure angle. Not missing that extra 22" of frame at all :yup:

Departure angle.jpg

And the lower links are so nice and flat. Very little is exposed to hang up on

Departure angle(2).jpg

Forward link mounts. This here is where the belly skid plate will end. I like it

Departure angle(3).jpg

Time to love on the D60 a little bit :D

Dana 60 links.jpg

I like REALLY clean parts for welding....

Dana 60 links(2).jpg

Here’s the GM Bill Of Materials #, comes out to exactly what this had, factory 4:56

Dana 60 links(3).jpg

Burning in all the link brackets...

Dana 60 links(4).jpg

Dana 60 links(5).jpg

Dana 60 links(6).jpg

Wanted to tip the front coils back 10 degrees. Suspension nut is in the way so I ended up notching the bracket

Dana 60 links(7).jpg

Nut welded in place and ran a tap through it

Dana 60 links(8).jpg

Burning in the lower coil mounts

Dana 60 links(9).jpg

Dana 60 links(10).jpg

Got some different cups and gas lenses from WeldMonger, great stuff. Did all this with a gas lens and a #8 Furick, piece of cake

Dana 60 links(11).jpg

Plugging away. Blasted and primed some setup parts. The knuckles are stock, Reid’s are still in the box but I need studs. Idea is to get this rolling soon

Dana 60 spindles.jpg

Dana 60 knuckles.jpg

Welding the front 5 link up also. #10 FUPA cup from WeldMonger and a gas lens.

5 link welds.jpg

Triple pass on the .375” wall lowers then run a tap through them once they’re totally coo

5 link welds(2).jpg

5 link welds(3).jpg

Last edited:
Day project: finish off the tunnel fabrication

Tunnel fab.jpg

Mating the old with the new and getting the flange to contour with the floor. Heat, clamp, heat, hammer....

Tunnel fab(2).jpg

Flange ring is done here

Tunnel fab(3).jpg

Then came a day of contorting myself to weld it. Managed to scorch my armpit and all the pedal work was done with my knee. Welded it out with
1/16” silicon bronze

Tunnel fab(4).jpg

Done. Now it’s time to cut a mess of shifter holes in it

Tunnel fab(5).jpg

Painstaking measurements and cutting holes in the tunnel over 2 days

Tunnel fab(6).jpg

SWAG circle cutter has come in very handy

Tunnel fab(7).jpg

Tunnel fab(8).jpg

Shift plate for the Magnum. Added some more nutserts so a person won’t have to try and back up the but side with a wrench under the tunnel

Tunnel fab(9).jpg

Tunnel fab(10).jpg

The ORD twin sticks for the 205 were the worst and lots of things (465 and Magnum) are all vying for space

Tunnel fab(11).jpg

Tunnel fab(12).jpg

So I thought they were going here. And I was wrong. Cut the hole then realized I didn’t have enough throw to properly engage the 205 shift shafts

Tunnel fab(13).jpg

And...... realized I’d screwed the pooch.

So I had to weld it all back up and cut another one

Tunnel fab(14).jpg

Got it right on the 2nd round. This is where everything will sit. Along with cutting brakes somewhere...

Tunnel fab(15).jpg

Tunnel fab(16).jpg

Transitioning over to working on the steering. The factory steering box mount only has 3 bolt holes for a manual box. I need 4 mounting holes and the mount needs to be considerably reinforced/braced across the whole frame rail.

Steering brace(2).jpg

Start with a fresh fish plate to even out the exterior frame rail...

Steering brace.jpg

Mocking up the next mount in cardboard first. It hangs pretty low but that’s where the box needs to sit. I’ll make a pretty good slide/skid plate for it

Steering brace(3).jpg

Simple things sometimes take a LONG time. This is merely converting a 3 bolt manual box to a 4 bolt power steering box but good grief I’m still at it. Maybe this is common with the FSJ crowd but the 715 frame is quite a bit different is my guess. Anybody want to chime in that has FSJ experience?

Made a plate below....

Steering brace(4).jpg

This is the factory mount. Yeah, YUCK. This is looking inwards under the frame. Rear bolt has a sleeve which isn’t centered very well, front got nothing, just a big hole to pass a socket through. Nasty splatter welds all over, looks like it was assembled on a Friday afternoon by someone who had been closet drinking all day :banghead:

Steering brace(5).jpg

Inner factory plate. The lower holes are the 2 lower ones for the box. Upper right is the 3rd hole on the box. There’s no hole for the upper rear mount. Since this piece is stout and places the box right where it should go I’m leaving it. Everything else needs to be reinforced around it

Steering brace(6).jpg

I’m using tube, passed through the mount and frame to make sure nothing crushes. Mounting bolts run through the tube and after mocking this up with low grade cheap tubing, I made the final pieces out of 4130 chromoly. Not going to crush that

Steering brace(7).jpg

I enlarged the factory holes to 5/8” so my sleeves would pass through.

Steering brace(8).jpg

Getting the holes centered and lined up correctly was a challenge. And I really wanted to get it right. Used the sleeves to assist in alignment then I marked the back side of the plate

Steering brace(9).jpg

Transferred to the plate. And of course, one hole just has to be half on the plate. The whole outer frame is getting plated so it’d not a big deal, more annoying than anything else

Steering brace(10).jpg

Drilled to 5/8”

Steering brace(11).jpg

And after checking the alignment about 3 more times, I marked and drilled through the outer frame rail. Used a high speed carbide to smooth them out

Steering brace(12).jpg

This. This is factory janky. Apparently the Kaiser Corporation wants you to fish your tiny hand AND a bolt down in this void where I’m pointing with the awl. It’s for the upper, forward bolt. I think I’ll pass on that plan since this whole area is going to get sealed up

Steering brace(13).jpg

Now the tube sleeve goes through that goofy little void

Steering brace(14).jpg

And out the other side on the outer frame rail

Steering brace(15).jpg

After many more measurements, black arrow shows where the 4th hole needs to go. Please also take the time to admire those factory welds. I don't think that MIG had been around for TOO long in 68' and nearly the whole truck has welds that are inconsistent, way too hot or full of porosity.

Steering brace(16).jpg

And here’s the outer plate with the sleeves mocked up. Getting much closer. It’s a bit goofy since the bolts and sleeves pass through at an angle. Plus the sleeves have to pass through both the inner and outer frame rails. I’ve got some round bar on order so I can make some wedges for the bolts to evenly snug against

Steering brace(17).jpg

Fish plate is on...

Steering brace(18).jpg

And verified by bolting up a donor box that the sleeves and holes are correct..

Steering brace(19).jpg

Boxing around the front frame rail.....

Steering brace(20).jpg

And starting to plate and box the entire factory mount so it ties into the exterior plate

Steering brace(21).jpg

Steering brace(22).jpg

Just using .25” cold roll scraps to do this. I'm guessing that when Jeep did their Concept M715 build they weren't picking through shop scraps trying to save a few pennies :icon_crazy:

Steering brace(23).jpg

Finish the boxing.....then weld it. Which took a LONG time :sFun_hot:

Steering brace(24).jpg

Steering brace(25).jpg

Steering brace(26).jpg

This was extra fun since so much of it was overhead or really hard to get to. All done though. Again, not sure if this is the way to go about this but I'll be damned if it rips off the frame or tweaks

Steering brace(27).jpg

Steering box stuff is just about done.

I upgraded the internal sleeves to 4130 chromo then welded in both sides. Also used some 1018 round bar to make the appropriate “wedges” so the bolts are pulling straight against the box. The bolts passing through the frame need to be set at the same mounting angle that the box is at. That ensures the bolts pull totally STRAIGHT and not off the side which would be much weaker. Ignore the bolts with the stacked washers, that’s mock-up

Steering brace(28).jpg

The upper bolt here also needs the correct spacer. 20 degree wedge with the same 1018 round bar drilled to 15/16”

Steering brace(29).jpg

Steering brace(30).jpg

Last edited:
Moving forward on the frame now....

After quite a bit of debate, decided to incorporate some steering box armor/skid into the front frame. It’ll provide a nice ramp for obstacles and I'll eventually tie it all in with the bumper

Steering brace(31).jpg

Steering brace(32).jpg

It’s “Kaiser" approved ;)

Steering brace(33).jpg

Steering brace(34).jpg

Steering brace(35).jpg

Top Bottom