44/60 or 60/60s

stainlesself

Hi everyone, I know this topic has probably been beaten to death in the Jeep community but I am reaching out for some different takes and opinions.
I have a 2011 JKU and am at the point where I want to start going up to 37s and will eventually do a V8 swap (LS or Hemi) in the future. I won't be rock crawling every weekend and live in Florida and don't have a heavy foot. I have narrowed it down to either the Dynatrac 44/60 or PR60/60 for terms of axles. Any suggestions on which I should pull the trigger on pros and cons?

Thank you for the advice!!!! 0IIIIIII0 :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There are definitely benefits to running a 44 up front and mainly when it comes to things like clearance and turning circle. However, with a V8, I would still recommend going 60 up front and LOW PINION FULL FLOAT REAR. This isn't for rock crawling and even if you don't have a heavy foot. The amount of power and torque you will have will warrant the extra strength, trust me.

stainlesself

Thanks, guys, for the very informative takes!
Since I am going off to law school next year, and my V8 swap is a project I will be saving for in the next couple of years and one I want to plan out so I can do it all in one efficient sweep
I think for now I am going to get a Pro Rock 44 for the front a wheel my Jeep till the engine kills itself than splurge on the nice 60/60s and Hemi, might even be considering 40's by than too.
Thank you!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since I am going off to law school next year, and my V8 swap is a project I will be saving for in the next couple of years and one I want to plan out so I can do it all in one efficient sweep
I think for now I am going to get a Pro Rock 44 for the front a wheel my Jeep till the engine kills itself than splurge on the nice 60/60s and Hemi, might even be considering 40's by than too.
Thank you!
Being that you live in Florida, don't do anything crazy and are easy on the skinny pedal, I personally would run what you've got now and save your money for the 60/60 and eventual motor swap. But that's just me.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Thank you!
That is exactly what I did. I got a PR44 and enjoyed the hell out of it for a few years.

I really miss those days.

Donut707

I have the 44/60 combo on my 2008 JKU with a hemi and 8 speed on 37's. At the time I purchased the 44/60 combo was $9200 . the price now is just over $12K. I have had some issue with the prorock 60 semi float hi pinion rear axle. I suspect it was not setup correctly from dynatrac and it spun a carrier bearing. Now the front axle has been problem free ( knock on wood) for 20K miles. I am replacing the axle shafts with a set of RCV's just because i want too . looking back , if i have the budget to do the 60/60 combo and add a set of beadlocks in , i would have done that for sure.
good luck with your build
Matt

stainlesself

I have the 44/60 combo on my 2008 JKU with a hemi and 8 speed on 37's. At the time I purchased the 44/60 combo was $9200 . the price now is just over $12K. I have had some issue with the prorock 60 semi float hi pinion rear axle. I suspect it was not setup correctly from dynatrac and it spun a carrier bearing. Now the front axle has been problem free ( knock on wood) for 20K miles. I am replacing the axle shafts with a set of RCV's just because i want too . looking back , if i have the budget to do the 60/60 combo and add a set of beadlocks in , i would have done that for sure.
good luck with your build
Matt
Thanks for the advice, thats a lot of what I am hearing is if you have the budget for the 60/60 go for it or wait until you can swing it but good to know about the 44/60 helps make the decision easier!

stainlesself

That is exactly what I did. I got a PR44 and enjoyed the hell out of it for a few years.

I really miss those days.
Most likely the route I will take buy the PR 44 Enjoy it and in a couple of years when I have the coin for everything, do it in one big sweep

stainlesself

Just out of sincere curiosity, why do you believe you need a PR44?
It isn't so much as believing I need a PR 44 however, when I calculated the math for upgrading my D30
which included
ARB Lockers
RCV Axles shafts
4.56 gears or 4.88 as with 35's on my 3.8 I am sometimes sluggish, plus the labor with adding a 4340 Chrome Molly Shaft to my Rear 44 and a locker I only came off to doing it with a PR 44 at about $900 therefore I figured for $900 why not upgrading to something a bit beefer.
Furthermore I do know I will move up to 37s before I a PR60 and Full float 60 so it is just piece of mind, I do know you can build the Dana 30 up but that was just my thinking process :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It isn't so much as believing I need a PR 44 however, when I calculated the math for upgrading my D30
which included
ARB Lockers
RCV Axles shafts
4.56 gears or 4.88 as with 35's on my 3.8 I am sometimes sluggish, plus the labor with adding a 4340 Chrome Molly Shaft to my Rear 44 and a locker I only came off to doing it with a PR 44 at about $900 therefore I figured for $900 why not upgrading to something a bit beefer.
Furthermore I do know I will move up to 37s before I a PR60 and Full float 60 so it is just piece of mind, I do know you can build the Dana 30 up but that was just my thinking process :)
Okay, I appreciate the response. I was just wondering being that, once again, you said that you "won't be rock crawling every weekend and live in Florida and don't have a heavy foot." Therefore, there is absolutely zero need for lockers or RCV shafts or for building up your 30. Regearing to 4.88 is legit but that would be a fraction of the cost of a PR44. Alos, WHEN you move up to PR60s, you should know that you WILL also need new wheels that are made for 8 lug and the money you'd be throwing away at an axle you don't really need would pay for that AS WELL AS the new 1350 drive shafts that you will need as well.

That said, it sounds like you've got money burning a hole in your pocket and please, don't let me stand in the way of that 😁

stainlesself

Okay, I appreciate the response. I was just wondering being that, once again, you said that you "won't be rock crawling every weekend and live in Florida and don't have a heavy foot." Therefore, there is absolutely zero need for lockers or RCV shafts or for building up your 30. Regearing to 4.88 is legit but that would be a fraction of the cost of a PR44. Alos, WHEN you move up to PR60s, you should know that you WILL also need new wheels that are made for 8 lug and the money you'd be throwing away at an axle you don't really need would pay for that AS WELL AS the new 1350 drive shafts that you will need as well.

That said, it sounds like you've got money burning a hole in your pocket and please, don't let me stand in the way of that 😁
Not a problem I think I should've rephrased that currently I am not rock crawling and hitting off-road parks every weekend however, with my Jeep turning into a Second Vehicle I will start using it more on the trail and pushing it more.
That part definitely gave some confusion :ROFLMAO:

Also for the 60/60 A V8 swap will happen in the future of my Jeep so with the extra power will for sure need the extra grit of the 60

Top Bottom