40s

David1tontj

#4 post it clearly says building a rubi front. Did you eat paint chips as a kid cause I think its affecting your vision.

I wanted to see how it would hold up so basically this is a test of the axles that everyone thinks will fail I ran 37s for 5,000 miles 4,000 of those miles all wheelin. With a lot of drivers yes it will fail I have gone to a lot of offroad events ( I just drove around in the parking lot climbing over curbs.) and clearly see why people are breaking things on 33s.

And if something breaks I will just fix or upgrade. I have one tons in my garage that will be built some day.

After going one ton, there have been several times I wondered if I could have made 44s work... Main reason is ground clearance!! If you can beef up the 44s you will have nearly as much clearance as a one ton rig on 42" or even 44" tires. I'm sorry if it came off too negative, I just didn't know any of your back story and was worried you just didn't know any better. Now get that 44 under there ASAP! Haha. Happy wheeling! And it looks great!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So you have one tons in your garage but are building rubi 44's. Oh I get it now. It all makes sense. :crazyeyes:

Jiffy05

So you have one tons in your garage but are building rubi 44's. Oh I get it now. It all makes sense. :crazyeyes:

These statements are kind of coming off like you are being a dick. So what if he wants to run 40's on a Dana 44. It is his money and his jeep. If it works then that is great. He and everyone else knows it will fail eventually and in that case he has one tons waiting if that's what he want to do.

Capita

Unless you have unlimited funding and don't really give a shit I'm not sure why people find the need to swap out perfectly good parts. Why not run any tire combo on a dana 30 until it blows up, then upgrade? not really affecting anyone but the owner. I don't see many people running over to the dentist and asking for dentures.

Wittys-JK

Good looking rig and the tires are sweet. My buddy is rolling a gecko on 37's with a long arm and it looks similar to yours minus the trimmed fenders and so far he claims it hasn't rubbed completely tucked. We will be hitting some more challenging terrain this weekend so we will see how it holds up. Enjoy your new set up!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Unless you have unlimited funding and don't really give a shit I'm not sure why people find the need to swap out perfectly good parts. Why not run any tire combo on a dana 30 until it blows up, then upgrade? not really affecting anyone but the owner. I don't see many people running over to the dentist and asking for dentures.

I would rather not snap my axle in two pieces on the trail for multiple reasons. One I go out by myself sometimes and would have no way to get recovered. And two because some of the trails I go on are in the middle of nowhere. Every try and get your broken rig off of the rocks in a remote area? If not ask the guys who went on this years JKX how fun it was.

bl17z90

I would rather not snap my axle in two pieces on the trail for multiple reasons. One I go out by myself sometimes and would have no way to get recovered. And two because some of the trails I go on are in the middle of nowhere. Every try and get your broken rig off of the rocks in a remote area? If not ask the guys who went on this years JKX how fun it was.

Thatswhat would worry me.

Sent from my phone?

David1tontj

Not only this, but have you ever wheeled with a guy that broke?? 99%of the time, everyone is going to stay and help him off the trail.. This happened to me on the second to last trip I went on.. Wasted our whole day trying to get my buddy's rig off of a boulder strewn trail with a broken dana 44 (37" tires). Had he not broken, we would have got to run at least 5 more awesome trails. So.... In a way, if you're wheeling with other guys and you know you have a weak point, it's a little selfish.

My two cents on the subject ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384296805.239968.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384296774.708272.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384296774.708272.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 589

kgw350

Ok but that's not me I am on the east coast. If you act the way you are on this tread I can see why you go out by yourself. Its all fun relax if shit breaks then shit breaks. And to your other smart ass comment I picked up a rubi front for $250 just needs axle shafts and all my outers from my dana 30 so I will be into it for about $1,000 with Chromoly axle shafts, gear job and artec truss. A lot cheaper than building the dana 60 I have. And for the rear I have a truss locker gears and shafts. And when I do upgrade to 60s I can sell my dana 44s.

Thanks to everyone that had nice comments and understands whats going on yes stuff will break but that's the fun of it hangin with some buddies in the trail.
One time sticks in my mind a zj ripped the steering box off the frame so we loaded up in the jku went to another buddies house picked up a new box some pizza and beer went back up the Mountain started a fire and swapped boxes what a awesome night and it started snowing we got of the mountain about 3am. That's the fun part of wheelin anyone else agree.

kgw350

Yes I feel the same way when we go to a offroad park if you have weak links then you should stay home and not hold everyone up. I usually organize the local runs and lead the pack cause I know the trails I have not broken anything yet but there is always that one time especially with these 40s.

Not only this, but have you ever wheeled with a guy that broke?? 99%of the time, everyone is going to stay and help him off the trail.. This happened to me on the second to last trip I went on.. Wasted our whole day trying to get my buddy's rig off of a boulder strewn trail with a broken dana 44 (37" tires). Had he not broken, we would have got to run at least 5 more awesome trails. So.... In a way, if you're wheeling with other guys and you know you have a weak point, it's a little selfish.

My two cents on the subject View attachment 56401

Aeraun

Very nice rig sir. 40s are looking Badass. Like was said, its more about the driver. Doesn't matter what you have there will always be a chance something will break, that's just part of the Wayalife. Yes, we try a build a rig to lessen those chances but I like to see people trying different things, especially to see how it would do. Like the guy who sees how far he can drive with the gas gauge on E lol. I also see value in using something until it breaks, unless you can get a good chunk for it if you sold it. I would also have it in the back of my mind though about the hassle a break can cause, especially since I won't be able to do any major or most minor fixes myself. But if you end up changing a break into a great night like you said, that's also what the Wayalife is about. Not sure why anyone would do any wheeling alone though. If I had a $200k custom rock crawler I still wouldn't wheel by myself.

The Force will be with you.... always

David1tontj

Yes I feel the same way when we go to a offroad park if you have weak links then you should stay home and not hold everyone up. I usually organize the local runs and lead the pack cause I know the trails I have not broken anything yet but there is always that one time especially with these 40s.

Sounds like you know what trails you're hitting.. It would be different if you were going into it blind.. I've been with new groups several times and I never know what to expect until I round the corner and see the boulder patch/ winch hill/ waterfall/etc.. That's why I wouldn't go with that group when I still had my stock axles.. I didn't want to be in a bad situation, feeling like I had to push my rig beyond what I knew it could withstand. Things are a little different over here on the west coast where we get the big rocks! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384299194.918817.jpg

Last edited:

David1tontj

I bet you feel welcomed now!!! Sorry man! We all have our opinions, and the only thing that is certain is that you will never get everyone to agree...

Jiffy05

I just feel how you went about it is just silly and not necessary. You could have went at it a lot better instead of just bashing someone for their setup.

After reading all the enttries on this thread I have come to a conclusion, again this is just my conclusion. Kgw350 left out some very important information on the very beginning, specifically how this was not his daily driver. Second how this is not his first build and knows a thing or two about building Jeeps. Had he started the thread with this information my opinion would not have been, what is this dude thinking running 40's on a stock D30. Maybe he received just what he wanted, the attention.

Either way your Jeep looks cool and wish you the very best of luck when you take it out on the trail for the first time.

R/
Will

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I just feel how you went about it is just silly and not necessary. You could have went at it a lot better instead of just bashing someone for their setup.

Well it wasn't directed at you so not sure why your all butthurt about it anyway.

Top Bottom