4 banger vs 4.0L

Dana 30 jk vs tj is a huge difference. I know plenty of guys running Dana 30s on 37s and will beat the shit out of them and be fine. Upgrade the rubicon spicer u joints and go. They’re obviously not wontons but it’s not an immediate issue or worry like on jk. An 8.8 and a 30 will last you a long time.

The issue with rear body mounts is there’s really no way to get to the damn things. And if there’s evidence they’re going it’s mostly hidden by the armor skins. They normally first bubble the paint out on rear next to tailgate at the bottom of tub then keep rotting until that piece of tub is no longer attached to the body mount. Then the weight of tailgate and spare tire loosen that pass rear quarter panel. It’s a bad design, as I’m sure you’re aware tj’s were engineered by idiots that didn’t understand salt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Jsouder53

Hooked
Dana 30 jk vs tj is a huge difference. I know plenty of guys running Dana 30s on 37s and will beat the shit out of them and be fine. Upgrade the rubicon spicer u joints and go. They’re obviously not wontons but it’s not an immediate issue or worry like on jk. An 8.8 and a 30 will last you a long time.

The issue with rear body mounts is there’s really no way to get to the damn things. And if there’s evidence they’re going it’s mostly hidden by the armor skins. They normally first bubble the paint out on rear next to tailgate at the bottom of tub then keep rotting until that piece of tub is no longer attached to the body mount. Then the weight of tailgate and spare tire loosen that pass rear quarter panel. It’s a bad design, as I’m sure you’re aware tj’s were engineered by idiots that didn’t understand salt.

So the D30 should be good on the TJ then? I’m glad to hear that 🤙 I’ll take and good look at the rear body mounts

I’ve seen what you and others have dealt with about the salt [emoji51]

So the D30 should be good on the TJ then? I’m glad to hear that 🤙 I’ll take and good look at the rear body mounts

I’ve seen what you and others have dealt with about the salt [emoji51]
Oh how I wish that wasn’t my area of expertise 🤣
Let us know how it goes

Jsouder53

Hooked
Oh how I wish that wasn’t my area of expertise 🤣
Let us know how it goes

Lol well it’s certainly helping me [emoji23] I appreciate it.

Will do! It’ll be late July/ early August since our schedules aren’t lining up and it’s 5-6 hours away. He is holding it for me which is cool, he pulled the ad down already.

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
Just found out he sold it... I coulda swore he was holding it for me but guess not. I guess I misunderstood him [emoji35]

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Just found out he sold it... I coulda swore he was holding it for me but guess not. I guess I misunderstood him [emoji35]

Sucks Jason. Hopefully it’s for the best and you find one even better [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Kuboske

That is disappointing. Keep looking. There's one out there waiting for you.
I bought one, the other day, and wasn't even looking. Then a friend just stopped by and told me he knew of another Jeep for sale. I think it's a CJ7, though....

Bear_JT

Hooked
That stinks. You’ll find a good one. Unless you’ll be swapping the motor I’d stay away from a 4 cyl. They really are gutless once you add bigger tires, armor, winch...

Good deals on (decent) v8 swaps don’t last long. I thought it was weird he was holding it for that long. Oh well there are others.

Jsouder53

Hooked
People suck. No one honors commitments anymore :naw:

Absolutely not, words mean nothing

Sucks Jason. Hopefully it’s for the best and you find one even better [emoji106]

I was pretty bummed hearing that, but I’m wondering if it saved me in the long run. Maybe it had issues and needed work, who knows

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

That is disappointing. Keep looking. There's one out there waiting for you.
I bought one, the other day, and wasn't even looking. Then a friend just stopped by and told me he knew of another Jeep for sale. I think it's a CJ7, though....

There will be a perfect one, I know it. Can’t wait to find it [emoji16]

That stinks. You’ll find a good one. Unless you’ll be swapping the motor I’d stay away from a 4 cyl. They really are gutless once you add bigger tires, armor, winch...

I’m definitely going to shoot for a 4.0L. My wife was the one i needed to convince, she said why do we need a bigger engine?

Good deals on (decent) v8 swaps don’t last long. I thought it was weird he was holding it for that long. Oh well there are others.

I was hopeful, but oh well. There will be another, probably not a V8 though

Jsouder53

Hooked
How long will the 4.0L engines last. Just came across one for a decent price but it has 214,000 miles on it. Kinda iffy about it having that many miles on it

How long will the 4.0L engines last. Just came across one for a decent price but it has 214,000 miles on it. Kinda iffy about it having that many miles on it

Taken care of they’re bulletproof and go for ever. Listen for a ticking sound that is lower than the lifters. They tend to break the piston skirt at the bottom and get piston slap. You can rebuild it new pistons, rings, new gaskets, oil pump, lifters, valve seals, rod bearings, wrist pins etc etc. for under $400. They’re stupid easy to work on. Or you can pickup an entire engine for a couple hundred and slap it in.
When they did cash for clunkers they would drain the oil and run til it seized, they found out the 4.0l can run like 10 minutes without oil. Most cars took a minute or two to seize.

Long story short they’re damn good engines. (Except fuel consumption)

J&k_Overland

My steps sons went close to 300k before he screwed up the oil pump swap and dumped all the oil out the back of the motor on the way home from work. 2k will get a fresh rebuilt motor from auto zone pretty easy to do Ran great right up till the oil pump went out.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Taken care of they’re bulletproof and go for ever. Listen for a ticking sound that is lower than the lifters. They tend to break the piston skirt at the bottom and get piston slap. You can rebuild it new pistons, rings, new gaskets, oil pump, lifters, valve seals, rod bearings, wrist pins etc etc. for under $400. They’re stupid easy to work on. Or you can pickup an entire engine for a couple hundred and slap it in.
When they did cash for clunkers they would drain the oil and run til it seized, they found out the 4.0l can run like 10 minutes without oil. Most cars took a minute or two to seize.

Long story short they’re damn good engines. (Except fuel consumption)

My steps sons went close to 300k before he screwed up the oil pump swap and dumped all the oil out the back of the motor on the way home from work. 2k will get a fresh rebuilt motor from auto zone pretty easy to do Ran great right up till the oil pump went out.

Sounds great! Thanks you guys!

Jsouder53

Hooked
I found a Jeep I might go get this coming weekend from Wyoming. He sent me a video of it idling, so I thought I would share and get feedback on it

https://youtu.be/JnL4gxm0DRc

I should note, it’s a 2004 Jeep Wrangler x. He put in a new engine 8,000 miles ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom