37" Nitto Trail Grapplers vs Cooper STT Pro's

jdofmemi

I was in your same boat several months ago and ultimately decided on the Coopers because of the discussions about the radial pull on the TG’s. Eddie made a comment awhile back about the 35” and 37” TG’s being a totally different tire than the 40” and quite a few other posts here and other forums talk about the left pull. This was enough to push me towards the slightly cheaper 37x12.5 Coopers. One complaint I was worried about was the premature chunking of the Cooper tread. A few of the guys here can chime in on their newer Coopers having this problem. I bought the Discount tire certificates for the piece of mind and have been happy so far!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I got an eBay deal a little over a year ago on Cooper's. 37-13.50-17, 4 for $989, free shipping. I then called the customer service number and they sent me a fifth at the same price, plus certs for $25 each.

I've had mine on since then, for a little over 16,000 miles. That includes the Rubicon, 8 trails in Moab, countless Big Bear trails, Cougar Buttes, Panamints, High Desert Roundup, snow runs, mud holes near home, and others.

The only time me I had one chunk a but was the rock garden on Gold Mountain. The rocks there are razor sharp, and of course I got hung for a bit and had to churn my way off of a rock.

I lost a couple of thumbnail sized chunks there, and that's it. I've hit rocks just like the one that tore the sidewall on one of my MTRs, without a mark to be seen.

The only damage was a large screw right through the tread when they were less than a month old. I plugged it and it's been fine since.

I'm very pleased with my set, and I also know many guys on here with just as many good things to say about their Nittos.

Now that it is still clear as mud, I say but the ones that look the best to you.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Never had Nittos but I’ve had the Coopers in 37x12.5 on for 15k . I’ve had 1 sidewalk puncture that was so small I didn’t see it at the time but left the tire flat by the next morning : plugged it and it has been through 3 tire rotations with no issue since . Have liked the tires otherwise .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I had 37x12.50 trail grapplers that I liked a lot. Never had a flat or other problem, even through some pretty tough trails. I wore them out from use. Would have replaced them with another set but they were back ordered at the time so I went with Toyos which also have been great. I did feel a little pull to the left with the Nittos, but it was slight and not a deal breaker for me. I will say that the Coopers look cool. The extra inch of width contributes to that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

kyle521

Anyone else with longer term experience? Looking at 12.5 wide in either tire as I run a 2.5 inch lift. I will be ordering within a month

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I have run the Coopers in a 12.5 and 13.5 width and loved them until my last set I owned which had some pretty serious chunking issues as well as balance issues. Prior to that my others lasted me a good 40k or so without problem. I switched to the Nittos now but have zero trail time or real wear experience with them yet. I will say they mounted up a 100 times easier and requires zero balancing so far and have them up to 70-72 mph.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
I’ve run the Nittos in both 37 and 40. I have been very happy with them on and off road. I have wheeled in Moab and on East coast trails and they performed well.

Both 37’s and 40’s were mounted on KMC Machetes and they required no weight to balance. I have driven my Jeep from east coast to west coast and back. Great highway ride and rock steady at 70-75 mph. When the current set wears out I plan to buy Nittos again.

gaius92

I have experience using a set of Nitto tires. In fact, I still have it installed. It's a set of ridge grappler instead of trail grappler like yours. I am satisfied with using it because of its versatile handling for all-terrain. It can handle long drive smoothly. I was initially planning to get either Toyo tires or BF Goodrich but my dad insisted on it so I gave in. Installing it wasn't much of a problem but I'm planning to have a rim upgrade so I have to make sure that my next rims will complement and handle a set of Nitto tires.

jdofmemi

Coopers are loud and balance issues.. Going back to Nitto's

The balance is hit and miss.

The noise complaint tells me you didn't rotate them often enough.

My STTs are some of the quietest mud tires I have ran, until I let them go too far before rotating them. They got a little loud, but are getting quieter since I have some miles since I rotated them.
I need to be sure not to let them go again.

buenavides1

I ran the Cooper STT Pro in 37's for over a year and loved them. They held up on the rocks and had great traction in the snow and ice. I got them on 4wheelonline alongside with the other auto accessories that I have installed on my jeep.

Last edited:

MericaMade

Good thread. I got to see the coopers in action this week in Moab and was very impressed. For those of you running the Coopers are you happy enough with them to buy them again once they wear out?

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JJ151

Good thread. I got to see the coopers in action this week in Moab and was very impressed. For those of you running the Coopers are you happy enough with them to buy them again once they wear out?

Just got back from Fordyce and Rubicon and I can say my 37x12.5x17 STT Pros did great. Drove down from Oregon, ran the trails and drove home nicely. One of my tires did get some minor sidwall damage. Not sure why. Also, a JK in our group was running Nittos and those did good as well. If both Nittos and STT Pros were the same price I might try the Nittos but with all the wet driving and snow I drive in I’m not sure I would switch. Fortunately my STT Pros were only $265 per tire which was way cheaper than Nittos.

Ddays

Hooked

Yes, absolutely! I was tempted to try the Trail Graps when I bought these but in the end I'm glad I went with the STTs.
Nothing agaist the TGs, because I've never run them, but I've been so happy with the STTs., unless they fuck the rubber formula up, I'm a lifer.

Foley

Hi,

if you take the Treps as sticky, there is no comparison. Because of the soft rubber you have grip nearly anywhere. Also the massive side lugs are helping in ditches, in mud an when you press your sidewall against a rock.

Also you cant compare those tires because the sticky wear down very fast. Mine last 10.000km - then 60% of the profile was gone. If you use it as a daily driver you will also have a "flat" spot when you start driving. It needs 10 to 15 minutes before the flat spot is gone. My tires have up to 600g weights needed to balance.

So, you choose if all the cons are worth it? If you buy them you will have a tire that perform offroad like nearly no other tire.

22339036_187066309297fyk4x.jpg

I have uploaded a very short clip. But you will see how amazing those side lugs ... and the whole tire perform.

I sold my Trepadors after a few months ago and sold a set of Toyos Open Country M/Ts in 40". I'm so far very impressed. Soft rubber, neary now weights needed for balancing.
Quietly Onroad. I can't tell much about offroad performance yet. But I played around a little bit with my new tires and so far I'm very happy.

My Girlfrind have the STT Pro an her Cherokee XJ. The tire is way more "civilized". No flats spots after parking a few hour. After 2-3 Parking you will have a very small flat spot - but after the first 30 seconds driving its gone. Also you can balance the tire very well. Onroad it noisy but totally fine for daily driving and talking. Offroad the STT Pro outperform the most normal M/T tires on the market. With low air the tire flex well, so its generate a good grip when driving over rocks. The side wall is very tough. The profil is also very good in mud.

If I have to choose for daily driving I would pick the STT Pro over the Treps every day. For a trial rig I would always choose the sticky treps.

Greetings from Germany
Lg

Last edited:

PokerStogey

Ran the STT Pros in 35s and didn't hesitate buying another set when I went to 37s... been very happy with them

Top Bottom