2017 Wrangler

JKWrang

For IFS - they have no need to redesign what they already have in place with the Power Wagon (which wins more truck awards than it's competitors) and is really well designed. They cannot possibly go the way of the Xterra. The Xterra is too narrow, too cheaply made mechanically and it's only real plus was the lightweight vs the power in the v6 they used to power that thing.

Seriously, what an overpowered SUV for how light it is and the MPG on that vehicle is dismal.

Im turning this into a hate review of the Xterra... lol ( we drive them for work and I want to gauge my eyes out at the end of a shift. Thank GOD for the Cherokee swap in corporate!)

I think what Wayoflife is saying is completely on point. The MPG and EPA requirements are pushing the direction and evolution of automobiles in all markets and, whether the lassez faire guys among us want to admit it or not, these regulations are really pushing the creativity mill in the automotive industry.

Ford Focus gets upwards of 40 mpg in a straight gasoline powered engine.
Jeeps get 20mpg which is horrible, but the new Cherokee can easily see 32mpg, i've done it in a long distance trip down the east coast.
Chevrolet and Ford have both made relatively fuel efficient v6 ponies that demolish their older v8 counterparts.

There can really only be good things to come from the 2017 Wrangler, and the Off Road enthusiast will find the best way to make due with his new rig, or part out the new oddities and put in what he needs for the performance he expects of his rig.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So what you're saying is the parts will become more affordable for my jk when the new one comes out. If only I could wait that long. I'd be interested in a diesel, but not much else. Then again I wasn't into the jk when it first came out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not exactly. JK parts will still cost the same. Parts for the new Wrangler will just cost more.

foley0416

Not exactly. JK parts will still cost the same. Parts for the new Wrangler will just cost more.

Wishful thinkin lol. I agree that they will push it to accommodate the majority of buyers for better mpg, comfort etc. Funny this thread is going on I just had a guy at work ask me about them saying he was looking into a 4 door one to haul his dj equipment around. Not everyone wants to leave paved roads

JKWrang

Wishful thinkin lol. I agree that they will push it to accommodate the majority of buyers for better mpg, comfort etc. Funny this thread is going on I just had a guy at work ask me about them saying he was looking into a 4 door one to haul his dj equipment around. Not everyone wants to leave paved roads

Right. And for the most part, people are conditioned not to, so they wouldn't even think to. I recommend the JKU to everyone who is looking for a vehicle period and they look at my Jeep and say, WHY WOULD I GET A MONSTER TRUCK!?

I think to myself... my little 4 door? You should see some of the rigs on WAL!!!:rock:

spicoli

No stock IFS/IRS will be able to handle what we want to throw at it. Just like the stock Dana 30 can't handle what we want to do with it. But that is why there are manufacturers out there that build what we want.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I know that the stock suspension will not be designed for my wants and will need upgrading. In no way did I mean to imply that I thought the stock suspension would be good enough. Some of you guys (like Eddie) have suspension systems that are very impressive, but it seems like the majority of the aftermarket wants bolt on performance increases. It comes to a point where you can bolt on parts to meet your needs or do a complete redesign of the suspension, IFS/IRS can make the bolt on approach very limiting. IMO, majority of the aftermarket stuff is bolt ons.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sorry I should have been more clear. I know that the stock suspension will not be designed for my wants and will need upgrading. In no way did I mean to imply that I thought the stock suspension would be good enough. Some of you guys (like Eddie) have suspension systems that are very impressive, but it seems like the majority of the aftermarket wants bolt on performance increases. It comes to a point where you can bolt on parts to meet your needs or do a complete redesign of the suspension, IFS/IRS can make the bolt on approach very limiting. IMO, majority of the aftermarket stuff is bolt ons.

Meh not really. New upper and lower A arms would be bolt on and a set of coilovers would be also bolt on. A DTD setup probably wouldn't be bolt on but also it probably would be nearly as time consuming in the front as the currents deal wrangler.

RockyJk

I would get one just so I could eventually get the dynatrac ifs set up thing looks badass, KOH rigs are setup with ifs/irs so I'm sure it'll still do good

Once my jeep is paid I'll be getting the next gen wrangler gives jeep a couple years to workout any bugs it might have

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

...New upper and lower A arms would be bolt on and a set of coilovers would be also bolt on.

What Adam said, new A-arms would be totally bolt on as would be a set of coil overs.

Well that has to be the most depressing thing I've read all day. :(

Again, just nature of the beast especially if the new Wrangler does get IFS. It just costs more to modify. Of course, you have a JK now and maybe it's something you'll want to hold onto for the long haul. It is after all a proven platform and one that does great.

rescue7

All I know is when I see it, I hope my first reaction makes me want to run to the dealer with fistfuls of cash.

I am kind of feeling the same way. I am looking at a 1 owner 2010 that has been beautifully taken care of, or ordering a new Rubicon. I would be a little upset if the new one is balls to the wall awesome..

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Again, just nature of the beast especially if the new Wrangler does get IFS. It just costs more to modify. Of course, you have a JK now and maybe it's something you'll want to hold onto for the long haul. It is after all a proven platform and one that does great.

Lol I was referring to the fact that JK parts will stay the same price. I was quietly hoping that they would drop. :greyno:

Loading please wait....

shadow21

So one thing the Wrangler has always had going for it was the fact that it was easy and cheap to modify. While wheelers make up less than 5% of the people who go Off-Road, I'd say at least 80-90% of people who buy a Wrangler wants a lift wheels and tires. When it come to the fact that it will undoubtedly cost double to do that the group they want to buy the Wrangler wont. Nobody even the pavement pounders buy a Wrangler they still want the "look".

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So one thing the Wrangler has always had going for it was the fact that it was easy and cheap to modify. While wheelers make up less than 5% of the people who go Off-Road, I'd say at least 80-90% of people who buy a Wrangler wants a lift wheels and tires. When it come to the fact that it will undoubtedly cost double to do that the group they want to buy the Wrangler wont. Nobody even the pavement pounders buy a Wrangler they still want the "look".

I can't say that I agree with that at all. There are tons of Wrangler (YJ's, TJ's and JK's) where I live and a vast majority of them are bone stock. Most of these folks just want a good 4WD for the farm or when it snows but couldn't care less to go wheeling let alone lifting it and running big tires. I have done a lot of traveling all across the U.S. can say the same is true most anywhere except for when you're in the big cities. When I was living in SoCal, everyone there wanted a lifted Jeep look but even at that, they still are the minority.

When the TJ came out, it was by far a better Wrangler than the YJ right out of the box. By the time it was retired, they were even available with 31" tires from the factory. Same is true of the JK, right out of the box, it's way better than the TJ and started off with 32" tires and the 10th Anniversary Rubicon comes with 33" tires. When the new Wrangler comes out, I have little doubt that it will be again, better than the JK right out of the box and for most people, this it'll be all they need to have a great time.

Fact of the matter is, we all already own Wranglers and some of us have more than one. For better or for worse, we are NOT who Jeep needs to target in order to sustain future growth. First and foremost, they need to find ways to satisfy federal standards, then look for ways to win over new customers and then attempt to keep the rest of us happy if they can. In the end, they are in the business of making and selling vehicles and historically speaking, most owners of Jeeps (especially Wrangler owners) do not ditch what they have for a newer model. Most of the guys that I knew who ran TJ's still run TJ's and the guys who ran YJ's and CJ's still run them as well. The CJ and YJ guys hated the TJ for it's coils and all the plastic it had and the TJ's guys hated the JK for it having 4-doors and being too luxurious. In spite of that, the TJ out sold the YJ and the JK is way out selling the TJ. I have little doubt that the new Wrangler will do just as well if not better.

Of course, that's just me. :D

GCM 2

I am kind of feeling the same way. I am looking at a 1 owner 2010 that has been beautifully taken care of, or ordering a new Rubicon. I would be a little upset if the new one is balls to the wall awesome..

Out of all the year model JK's the 2010 is the least desirable one to want. It's kind of a "between significant" upgrades to the model. I would go up a year or two, as in newer, if you are looking at buying a lightly used JK.

rescue7

Out of all the year model JK's the 2010 is the least desirable one to want. It's kind of a "between significant" upgrades to the model. I would go up a year or two, as in newer, if you are looking at buying a lightly used JK.

Greg,

What is least desirable about it? It's the same one as a lot of people have, correct? The body style you have, or is yours newer?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Greg,

What is least desirable about it? It's the same one as a lot of people have, correct? The body style you have, or is yours newer?

If I could guess, he may have meant to say 2011. This was the in between JK that got an interior refresh and new computer but still retained the weak 3.8L motor. 2007-2010 should all be the same.

The interior of the 2011 and 2012 are different as well with minor things like the seats. I just found this out looking for seat covers. 07-10 is one set, 11-12 is another and 13-15 is a third. Not sure why.

Also 2011 is the year that can only use a 2011 ECU in. Where as 07-10 you can use any year and the same goes for 2012 and up. Other than that the suspension is the same.

Top Bottom