2017 Wrangler

GCM 2

If I could guess, he may have meant to say 2011. This was the in between JK that got an interior refresh and new computer but still retained the weak 3.8L motor. 2007-2010 should all be the same.

Yes, my mistake. I did mean 2011. I am mostly a dumbass so just ignore me :doh:

JamesWyatt

I am kind of feeling the same way. I am looking at a 1 owner 2010 that has been beautifully taken care of, or ordering a new Rubicon. I would be a little upset if the new one is balls to the wall awesome..

I would order the new one now then trade on an '18 after the kinks get worked out. Either way, go 2012 or newer to get the better engine. Unless the 2010 is a manual Rubi with 4:10 gears, it's going to be - how should I put this - not the best experience in the world. Case in point: stock Rubi auto against a 25 mph headwind for 10 hours = 11.5 mpg on a trip I took. Anyway, I don't want to bash the pre-2012s too much, but just remember they will seem like you can live with the 3.8 power on your test drive, but it will wear you down after months of ownership.

Only other suggestion would be wait for 2016 as Jeep may do something special the last year. Plus, at some point the '16 and '17 will be on the lot at the same time and your choice will be clear.

But back to the basics: if you buy a Wrangler you win. Just keep that perspective!

rescue7

I would order the new one now then trade on an '18 after the kinks get worked out. Either way, go 2012 or newer to get the better engine. Unless the 2010 is a manual Rubi with 4:10 gears, it's going to be - how should I put this - not the best experience in the world. Case in point: stock Rubi auto against a 25 mph headwind for 10 hours = 11.5 mpg on a trip I took. Anyway, I don't want to bash the pre-2012s too much, but just remember they will seem like you can live with the 3.8 power on your test drive, but it will wear you down after months of ownership.

Only other suggestion would be wait for 2016 as Jeep may do something special the last year. Plus, at some point the '16 and '17 will be on the lot at the same time and your choice will be clear.

But back to the basics: if you buy a Wrangler you win. Just keep that perspective!

It will be interesting to see in the months to come what Chrysler reveals about the next model. I'm in anticipation like everyone. I have a feeling some serious aerodynamic changes will be made. Let's hope it doesn't look like that two door concept floating around.

JamesWyatt

It will be interesting to see in the months to come what Chrysler reveals about the next model. I'm in anticipation like everyone. I have a feeling some serious aerodynamic changes will be made. Let's hope it doesn't look like that two door concept floating around.

Agreed. I'm really holding out hope it stays looking like nothing else out there. Right now, seems like the only boxy SUVs left are the Wrangler and out-of-my-price-range G-Wagon. If I had to guess, I'd say the 2017 will look like a bigger, tougher, squared-off version of the Renegade with larger wheel wells and available in:

1.) 2dr/4dr convertible
2.) 4dr solid top with or without pano sunroof
3.) and double cab pickup w/or without rear roll bar cage with tarp

Fingers crossed for best case: keep solid axles - or - next best case: IFS for Sport and Sahara, solid axles for Rubicon - or - H1-style suspension for all.

Would it be too much to hope for diesel and a central tire inflation system?

Ah, well. Looks like I've got the Friday Night Rambles Syndrome. :crazyeyes:

46chevytruck

Also 2011 is the year that can only use a 2011 ECU in. Where as 07-10 you can use any year and the same goes for 2012 and up. Other than that the suspension is the same.

I installed a 2011 engine in my 2007 JKU and have no problems. I left the '07 ECU in place.

Zstairlessone

Maybe they will go in stages, aluminum to reduce weight should increase MPG, locking hubs will give a 1 to 2 MPG increase, rake the window a couple of more degrees for a little fuel efficiency increase then put a more efficient engine with a turbo or supercharger for the needed on demand power would be a good way to hit 2017 running.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I don't worry that the new Wrangler will be less capable than the JK in stock form. Jeep needs the tough rugged model as the base for the brand image, any step backwards would be a hit to the image every other model they make.
What I do worry about is the 2017 will be difficult/ impossible to lift/modify, like the new Cherokee.

Just give me a 2016 rubicon with a diesel as a last hurrah.

Come over to europe and order it......

TINMAN367

I'm really hoping they put a diesel in the JK for at least one model year. Kinda like it's swan song. That is the only thing I'm holding out for.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm going to hope the same.

Top Bottom