2017 SEMA Rego 4x4 REX Jeep JK Wrangler

BaddestCross

Because an FJ could never hope to have 20" of vertical travel. Just to put things into perspective, Moby and Rubicat only have 14".
Yeah, I get the travel, but I thought the solid axle was a selling point to the Jeep. If you're out blasting the desert I get it, but it seems to me that the IFS doesn't perform as well on the rocks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Question anyone, I thought the portal axles were not great for highway speeds. If true how is this different than an axle with portals? I’m not knocking it I think it is really badass, just asking

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Ok...it's got my brain thinking...I was actually reviewing my suspension set up on the Brute & bobing the tail for better departure angle...hehe....

If you go to their website www.rego4x4.com it seems to show the video of the military setup... Which by the way seems to be very badass.. I wonder if I could build one in my garage... You know zombie apocalypse and such.... :)

Bacon

I love the idea great design but the bolt on thing would worry me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Why? If you think about it, our current axles are connected to our Jeeps with bolts. Bolts on the suspension ans steering components are all that are holding them in place now. By the looks of the blow up diagram.in the video, likely the same amount of bolts hold that together.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The video I saw of the military version was just a frame without a body but it went off a 2 meter ledge like a trophy truck. They're not saying a JK could do that but they do hope to implement some of the same technology.

If you go to their website it is there. I watched it yesterday and was like dayyyymmmm

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Question anyone, I thought the portal axles were not great for highway speeds. If true how is this different than an axle with portals? I’m not knocking it I think it is really badass, just asking

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Portals on a solid axle at the wheel ends don't do great at higher speeds mainly due to suspension geometry. If u thunk about it both upper and lower control arms are well above the centerline of the wheel. So it puts some weird forces on the arms. Even at slower speeds their are tremendous forces on the control arms that are different than a normal setup. Works fine for crawlers and tons of extra clearance. Now on ifs it's not the same issue. There are thousands of h1s and humvees running around with that setup. In this case it is very innovative how they are using the portals to flatten out the shaft angles and allow longer shafts.

Typically portals flip the direction of rotation unless they are 3 gear portals which they could be. Or since it's based on a Toyota diff that has a 3rd maybe they are just flipped like you do with a rear engine setup to get the correct rotation. Either way I dig it!

F

Fionayeti

It looks cool, but with all the bells and whistles, extra parts and gizmos, it looks like a lot could go wrong. And what about a trail fix? I doubt anybody is going to have spare parts for you, if by chance, you weren't smart enough to bring any. However, not to be a negative Nelly, I do applaud someone pushing the boundaries!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you go to their website it is there. I watched it yesterday and was like dayyyymmmm

LOL! Glad to hear it. I was just asked by them not to post it up.

Portals on a solid axle at the wheel ends don't do great at higher speeds mainly due to suspension geometry. If u thunk about it both upper and lower control arms are well above the centerline of the wheel. So it puts some weird forces on the arms. Even at slower speeds their are tremendous forces on the control arms that are different than a normal setup. Works fine for crawlers and tons of extra clearance. Now on ifs it's not the same issue. There are thousands of h1s and humvees running around with that setup. In this case it is very innovative how they are using the portals to flatten out the shaft angles and allow longer shafts.

Typically portals flip the direction of rotation unless they are 3 gear portals which they could be. Or since it's based on a Toyota diff that has a 3rd maybe they are just flipped like you do with a rear engine setup to get the correct rotation. Either way I dig it!

I totally did it too if only because of how innovative it is. I see a lot of potential with this design. It's funny because they started designing this system for a side-by-side but thought there might be a market for Jeeps too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It looks cool, but with all the bells and whistles, extra parts and gizmos, it looks like a lot could go wrong. And what about a trail fix? I doubt anybody is going to have spare parts for you, if by chance, you weren't smart enough to bring any. However, not to be a negative Nelly, I do applaud someone pushing the boundaries!

Not sure what parts and gizmos you're referring to. Once bolted up or welded on, the brackets aren't going anywhere. The A-arms have joints just like control arms and there are plenty of different ones for them. Assuming they're able to get Dana or a company like that to work with them, the ring and pinion would be the same as any other Dana axle. The portals are new and the shafts would be different but not like anyone would have spares for my XD60 or ProRock 80.

Top Bottom