2017 Aluminum Jeep JL Wrangler - Pick-Up Being Shelved

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Heck, I am completely worn down now from whoring myself out for my current EVO gear. I don't even know how to "whore" at the levels needed for aluminum bodies and IFS/IRS mods :thinking: Eddie this could hurt.......

It already hurts trying to catch up to you and Eddie now:cheesy:, If they do this for the new Jeeps I will never catch up to you two.!:yup::doh:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'd be fine with IFS and solid in the rear. You can still get big travel with and it it would be badass. I was really hoping for a truck but I guess Ill just have to buy an old one.

GCM 2

There are other ways...., Barstow, Holiday Inn Express, room 226, 8:35pm, Saturday, May 10th. four knocks on the door (the first two soft, second two hard) a person will ask "who is there", you will respond with "I'm here to talk with my Uncle Larry about his 1970 El Camino"

As someone once said "there is a scary amount of detail in this" :icon_crazy:

Last edited:

daveroberts

There are other ways...., Barstow, Holiday Inn Express, room 226, 8:35pm, Saturday, May 10th. four knocks on the door (the first two soft, second two hard) a person will ask "who is there", you will respond with "I'm here to talk with my Uncle Larry about his 1970 El Camino"

Obviously this is not your first time giving these detailed instructions out, but hopefully it is the first time to be giving them to a grown man!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Jeeps always been a fair price, it'll be sad if they become out of reach for the real jeeper

This^^. I have always believed that there is a market ceiling for what most people will be willing to pay for a Wrangler. Part of the appeal of Wranglers, at least in my opinion, has always been that they are obtainable for a younger buyer who can then spend a little bit of money at a time to make it something special and unique to the buyer. The lower price point gets them in, and gets them to look past some of the Wrangler's quirks (e.g. minimal interior, slow, leaky, squeaky, etc.)

Once the purchase price climbs above $50k, I believe the market as a whole expects a completely different level of finish and road performance from their "SUV". I'm sorry, but the Wrangler just isn't there in terms of performance and comfort. We may not care as Wayalifers, but there might be a huge segment of the population who takes a pass on the idea of spending $50k+ on a box with removable doors and drain plugs.

TheDuff

Obviously this is not your first time giving these detailed instructions out, but hopefully it is the first time to be giving them to a grown man!

That depends on if you consider overlander a grown man:p:p:p

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris

On an article published in Jalopnik, there is even suggestion that the aluminum Wrangler may even depart from a body on frame construction and move to a more weight savings unibody design....

This bothers me more than the than the thought of an IFS/IRS. :grayno:

I'd be fine with IFS and solid in the rear. You can still get big travel with and it it would be badass. I was really hoping for a truck but I guess Ill just have to buy an old one.

X2! I never ruled it out, but have no plans to buy the next gen wrangler. The truck was a certainty for me, if it were anything like the J12 we were discussing in the other thread.

:cheesy:

BlueCopper

Actually, you can still improve the ride with just an IFS and a solid rear axle. A lot of vehicles are made like this including the FJ Cruiser. But, if you REALLY want to improve the ride and save on weight, the addition of IRS would make big difference.

I see nothing wrong with the way they ride now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I'm surprised how many people are receptive to IFS in a Wrangler. I had to dig a bit, but I posted this up mid last year and it seemed not many would want IFS, with one commenting it was a waste of a Jeep.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?8701-Ifs-jk!!&highlight=bajakits

As for me, I think it would be great. Having grown up around desert racing, I have always loved the idea of being able to mix a go fast suspension design with the open top fun of Jeeps. IFS/IRS is typically more nimble in the corners (Class 1) than a solid rear/IFS setup, which it typically faster on the long stretches and straightaways (Trophy truck/Trick Truck). Both have been adapted to crawl successfully on the rocks as well at the KOH. Although I will agree that it will be a bit more expensive to modify, there are plenty of aftermarket long travel kits for other platforms (i.e. Raptor, FJ, etc.) that are not out of reach of most. Hopefully if this happens the aftermarket will jump on it with the same support. I personally think IFS will be more than enough for the way 90% of Wrangler owners use their Jeeps and offer a more comfortable on road ride. For those who wheel the serious big boy rocks out west, I feel it would still be more affordable to build their rigs to Moby/EVO Jeep status. You would have to get into big buck custom setups to get the same performance of those Jeeps out of IFS. I guess its a wait and see.

StrizzyChris

I don't think any of us WANT an IFS wrangler...what most are (well at least what I am) saying is that its a no brainer move for a company trying to push a highly successful vehicle out into the mass market to soccer moms even more by improving mpg and on road handling and comfort.

Zstairlessone

This^^. I have always believed that there is a market ceiling for what most people will be willing to pay for a Wrangler. Part of the appeal of Wranglers, at least in my opinion, has always been that they are obtainable for a younger buyer who can then spend a little bit of money at a time to make it something special and unique to the buyer. The lower price point gets them in, and gets them to look past some of the Wrangler's quirks (e.g. minimal interior, slow, leaky, squeaky, etc.)

Once the purchase price climbs above $50k, I believe the market as a whole expects a completely different level of finish and road performance from their "SUV". I'm sorry, but the Wrangler just isn't there in terms of performance and comfort. We may not care as Wayalifers, but there might be a huge segment of the population who takes a pass on the idea of spending $50k+ on a box with removable doors and drain plugs.

Yep, Price goes to $50K -$60K and elevated build costs involved with IFS starts looking like a $80K - $100K investment for a high capable machine really quick

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think any of us WANT an IFS wrangler...what most are (well at least what I am) saying is that its a no brainer move for a company trying to push a highly successful vehicle out into the mass market to soccer moms even more by improving mpg and on road handling and comfort.

Agreed, I think most of us would still prefer solid axles if for no other reason than the fact that they are easier to mod and perform well on the rock. Having said that, I'm not opposed to the idea IFS and if I still wanted solid axles, that can still be arranged of course, I have no doubts that companies like Dynatrac will have other options available for us as well. It'll just cost a hell of a lot more to get what we want.

David1tontj

^and how much cooler will that make the jeeps that get solid axle conversions!!! I would totally do a solid axle swap on one.. Most of us end up swapping our axles out anyway- so this way we would just have to design some control arms also, and voila! I Wouldn't even think twice about rolling a set of one tons under it and making it work!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

dahreno

Banned
If I wanted to haul a#$ through the desert, I could get a Raptor or some thing else. I like rocks. I'm sure I will never own a IFS/IRS Jeep with unit body construction. As far as I am concerned, it's just ruining the Jeep heritage, and I am old school. I'll just keep my Wrangler and my other toy and that's it for me. When the wrangler gets beyond repair, I'll get rid of it and keep my old school Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I wanted to haul a#$ through the desert, I could get a Raptor or some thing else. I like rocks. I'm sure I will never own a IFS/IRS Jeep with unit body construction. As far as I am concerned, it's just ruining the Jeep heritage, and I am old school. I'll just keep my Wrangler and my other toy and that's it for me. When the wrangler gets beyond repair, I'll get rid of it and keep my old school Jeep.

In all fairness, if you really were old school, you'd still be driving a 2-door with leaf springs. Maybe you don't remember but the idea of "coils" under a Jeep was heresy back when the TJ was about to come out and the same was true with 4-doors when the JK was about to come out. Just trying to put things into perspective.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
In all fairness, if you really were old school, you'd still be driving a 2-door with leaf springs. Maybe you don't remember but the idea of "coils" under a Jeep was heresy back when the TJ was about to come out and the same was true with 4-doors when the JK was about to come out. Just trying to put things into perspective.

So true. That's ruining the jeep heritage but the 4 door didn't? If someone thinks the new one will ruin it they must think the 4 door ruined it as well. Otherwise they just aren't ready for a change. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom