2012 Rubicon- Removed Doors, Now Won't Crank

GP NOIR

Hooked
I removed the doors from my 2012 Rubicon 2-door w/ manual transmission for the first time since I bought it in in February. Now, the engine won't crank. I can bump start it, but the engine won't crank when I turn the key.

Could this have something to do with removing the doors? Or is it a coincidence and I need to look elsewhere? I haven't read the codes yet because it's time to have something to eat. Will read the codes after lunch.

Thanks!

GP NOIR

Hooked
I don't think the seat belts have to be put on first. I'm not certain because I put my seat belts on automatically.

Ran for codes. Got the usual GASCAP and a new code- Left and Right Low Beam Circuit High. LED lamps have been installed, but this is the first time this code has shown up.

Reinstalled the doors. Still doesn't crank. Tried a jump start in case battery is going bad. Didn't crank. Tapped starter with hammer. Nothing. Heard a faint click when key was turned and again when key was released. Battery terminals look clean and they are tight. Put T case in 4 lo in case it's the clutch safety switch. Still nothing. Swapped starter & E85 fuses (both are 40 amps). Nada.

I think the Jeep not cranking has nothing to do with the doors, but don't want to take anything for granted.

I suspect it's the starter/starter solenoid. Bad news is that means a new starter. Good news is, the starter went out today in my backyard, not Friday while running The Top Of The World.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Try a jump start again. Have had a bad cell in a battery keep the vehicle from cranking. Have had to put multiple jump box’s on to get it to crank over

bmkrinne

I’ve got a 2012 JKUR and can confirm the Jeep will start without seatbelts fastened and doors off.
I think the Jeep has a low voltage cutout that doesn’t allow the starter to engage upon a bad battery. Everything else still works just won’t turn over at all. Happened to me a while back but did start when jumper cables were connected.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Charging system is putting out 14 volts. Pulled the starter relay and jumpered it. Got a click but the starter didn't engage. Pulled the starter (very easy job and the starter is soooo tiny and lightweight!) and tested the starter again. It's dead. Off to Auto Zone!

GP NOIR

Hooked
SUCCESS! The new starter works!

On inspection, the old starter looked like it was on its last legs and the added stress of starting the Jeep with the clutch engaged after stalling on the trail last week was the coup de grâce.

Can’t complain. It got me home and it saved unneeded wear and tear on the clutch.

Top Bottom