2011 Grand Cherokee lift?

jesse3638

Hooked
Seriously find a shop that’ll change out the strut. We had a compressor let loose. The coil went one way and the wrench went straight through the ceiling insulation.

It’s a little to sketchy if you ask me.

I did mine on my old Titan. The person I borrowed them from "modified" them so they'd work better. There were no safety pins and I thought for sure it was going to let loose. He suggested using an impact gun and that made it smooth and quick, but I still kept it pointing away from my face, body, or anything else I didn't want to lose until I could get the nuts in to secure it. I rented the next coil compressor from Autozone. It was for a UTv strut, wasn't modified, and had the pins so I felt a little safer..haha

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Seriously find a shop that’ll change out the strut. We had a compressor let loose. The coil went one way and the wrench went straight through the ceiling insulation.

It’s a little to sketchy if you ask me.

With the Rocky Road Outfitters kit, RRO told me that I don’t need spring compressors, because their kit is a spacer. It bolts to the top of the existing assembly. They sell the OME kit, too, but said theirs is easier to assemble. He also warned me the OME kit would sit, nose down.

IMG_1656.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
With the Rocky Road Outfitters kit, RRO told me that I don’t need spring compressors, because their kit is a spacer. It bolts to the top of the existing assembly. They sell the OME kit, too, but said theirs is easier to assemble. He also warned me the OME kit would sit, nose down.

View attachment 300646

The soft OME offered no lift. The HD ones lifted it up perfect. I’m not even sure why they sell the light ones.

notnalc68

The soft OME offered no lift. The HD ones lifted it up perfect. I’m not even sure why they sell the light ones.

So, you don’t have to compress the spring, to get the strut off the vehicle? I’ve found some crappy videos, but most aren’t well edited, and skip parts.

WJCO

Meme King
So, you don’t have to compress the spring, to get the strut off the vehicle? I’ve found some crappy videos, but most aren’t well edited, and skip parts.

The strut/coil assembly comes off of the vehicle together. No compression needed. The big center nut on top is what removes the coil, don't touch that one.

The 3 nuts on those top studs is what holds the strut assembly to the body of the Jeep. Once the strut assembly is removed from the vehicle it looks like you just add the spacer onto the 3 top studs.

notnalc68

The strut/coil assembly comes off of the vehicle together. No compression needed. The big center nut on top is what removes the coil, don't touch that one.

The 3 nuts on those top studs is what holds the strut assembly to the body of the Jeep. Once the strut assembly is removed from the vehicle it looks like you just add the spacer onto the 3 top studs.

That’s what I was thinking it looked like, but I’ve never mucked around with a McPhearson strut. Thanks, Doug.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

This

, we installed new struts that needs assembled using the factory parts.

notnalc68

This

, we installed new struts that needs assembled using the factory parts.

Thanks. I may buy the RRO kit. It’s only $409.00. I’ve got wheels and tires on the way. I’m ditching the 20’s for 18’s.

IMG_1642.JPG

Top Bottom