Choosing next set of tires.

With all other things being equal, which tire would you choose?

• 15 pounds lighter per tire

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • $70 cheaper per tire

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

kevman65

Hooked
I've narrowed down my choice of 37's for after the lift is done to 2 tires.

No I'm not going to name the brands, don't want that as part of the choice.

Yes, one is an E and the other a C. So there's the difference in weight.

These are AT's, going with the driving conditions I face for majority of driving.

What Ddays said. Sounds like you've narrowed it down pretty well if load rating is all that remains. E is a stronger sidewall, but heavier and with a slightly stiffer ride. C is a softer sidewall, so a slightly softer ride with a slightly weaker sidewall. I went E since I do quite a lot of wheeling.

I have never chosen a tire based on price or weight. It always seems to come down to availability for me when the time comes.

Neither of those are a deciding factor. It’s unsprung weight so 15 pounds is not a lot. Brand, tire type and true size would be deciding factors to me.
Those ARE the final deciding factors. As I said everything else being equal.

I have used both brands and am comfortable with either. I listed the tire type, AT's.

Those ARE the final deciding factors. As I said everything else being equal.

I have used both brands and am comfortable with either. I listed the tire type, AT's.
Well your question states with all things being equal. They aren’t. It’s a different brand and a different tire.

Neither of those are a deciding factor. It’s unsprung weight so 15 pounds is not a lot. Brand, tire type and true size would be deciding factors to me.
Minimizing unsprung weight is important for good handling while on normal roads at normal speeds. Not very important while crawling off-road or moving slowly.

Minimizing unsprung weight is important for good handling while on normal roads at normal speeds. Not very important while crawling off-road or moving slowly.
Weird……my heavy ATX beadlocks and 37’s/38’s have handled and drivin perfectly smooth for me for over 100k miles.
I've narrowed down my choice of 37's for after the lift is done to 2 tires.

No I'm not going to name the brands, don't want that as part of the choice.

Yes, one is an E and the other a C. So there's the difference in weight.

These are AT's, going with the driving conditions I face for majority of driving.
IF we are just going off your two deciding factors, I guess I’d just save the money? I’ve never payed much attention to weight.

Unsprung weight definitely affects acceleration, braking and even the suspension. Why would we bother with big brake kits & whatnot if it didn't? Now we can argue as to how much it really affects all of these, but it's not really the 15# per tire difference that matters, it's the increase from whatever size tires are on the vehicle now. If you're going from say, 33's to 37's what is that weight increase? Then add or subtract another 15# depending on the tire. It can affect braking & acceleration performance significantly.

75 pounds in your vehicle affects performance that much? Do you not go grocery shopping or pack in a bag/suitcase, other passengers? You literally just drive your Jeep with you only?
Anyone with knowledge of automotive suspensions knows that minimizing unsprung mass is important for handling. The reason should be pretty obvious. The spring needs to push the tire down when there is a dip, and the heavier the tire/wheel the more sluggish it will be. The more stiff spring and shocks needed to control the heavier tire/wheel will also apply more force on the chassis when hitting a bump, leading to a rougher ride.

A key element of handling is to keep the rubber uniformly on the road at all times.

Jeeps are not particularly known for good handling but choices do make a difference.

Anyone with knowledge of automotive suspensions knows that minimizing unsprung mass is important for handling. The reason should be pretty obvious. The spring needs to push the tire down when there is a dip, and the heavier the tire/wheel the more sluggish it will be. The more stiff spring and shocks needed to control the heavier tire/wheel will also apply more force on the chassis when hitting a bump, leading to a rougher ride.

A key element of handling is to keep the rubber uniformly on the road at all times.

Jeeps are not particularly known for good handling but choices do make a difference.
Clearly you have ZERO knowledge of suspension. Unsprung weight is below the spring and does not affect the suspension. Sometimes you say things and this is all I can think of.

1715898467121.png

You also didn't answer any of my questions.

Top Bottom