Choosing next set of tires.

With all other things being equal, which tire would you choose?

• 15 pounds lighter per tire

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • $70 cheaper per tire

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
One reason that IFS vehicles provide better handling is that they do not have a heavy axel, differential, and steering components underneath the springs. The IFS design adds more of the weight to the chassis of the vehicle, and the unsprung parts are lighter.

One reason that IFS vehicles provide better handling is that they do not have a heavy axel, differential, and steering components underneath the springs. The IFS design adds more of the weight to the chassis of the vehicle, and the unsprung parts are lighter.
Holy hell Bob then why did you buy a Jeep? Trade it in for a Bronco or 4Runner and talk about this on those forums... They'd care a whole lot more.

I
Holy hell Bob then why did you buy a Jeep? Trade it in for a Bronco or 4Runner and talk about this on those forums... They'd care a whole lot more.
Did not think my Toyota MR-2 would make it over the rocks in Arizona. 🤣

I like the Wrangler, the 4Runner not so much, and the Bronco, not much at all. I had a Jeep before, and wanted to enjoy a jeep again.

I only responded to the question that was asked. I did not expect so much blow-back about basic physics.

I have to say, things like rubber compound, durability/sidewall strength and tread wear have always been way more important to me than weight. In fact, I don't think I've ever given weight a thought when selecting tires. That said, cost is legit especially being that tires are so much more expensive than they've ever been. Sucks that the cheap ones are also cheap pieces of shit.

I don’t know shit about shit, but I always thought having more weight really low was good for lowering center of gravity and keeping the wheel side down (as opposed to the roof). Either way, it’s hard for me to ever conclude that “all things are equal” between two tire brands.
All of that said, I’d save the money. I carry more than 75 lbs of tools so weight concerns have never been my thing.

I have to say, things like rubber compound, durability/sidewall strength and tread wear have always been way more important to me than weight. In fact, I don't think I've ever given weight a thought when selecting tires. That said, cost is legit especially being that tires are so much more expensive than they've ever been. Sucks that the cheap ones are also cheap pieces of shit.
Yes, but kevman65 said "all other things being equal". So only weight (or $70 cheaper) is the consideration for his question.

Yes, but kevman65 said "all other things being equal". So only weight (or $70 cheaper) is the consideration for his question.
I have been lucky enough to test out a lot of tires, in different sizes, ratings, rubber compounds, tread pattern and of course, make and from what I have seen, all other things are rarely equal. But of course, that's just me.

You guys crack me up. I didn't list the brands because everyone is fixed on their personal favorite. This isn't about brand wars.

Neither of the ones I've narrowed it down to are cheap. They're both American made tires and well known brands.

I just wanted your opinions on whether you'd stress weight savings or dollar savings.

The lighter weight C wall is more expensive. To me that's odd because of more material in the E wall.

Not deciding my choice on JUST these two items. These two items are the BIG differences between the two.

I know for our vehicles, weight on tires isn't that big of a deal. BUT, it's stated everywhere, taller heavier tires are rough on certain parts. So looking at a tire that is 15 pounds lighter per tire than most 37's out there.

Still not going to get into a brand debate, I already know what the consensus for most on here is and it's not mine, so be it.

All I wanted to know, would you rather save the weight, or save the money. 60 pounds on the ground versus $350 in the pocket.

Umm, maybe I missed it but I could have sworn that more than a few people stated you should go for price over weight.

As far as brands go, MOST make a decent tire or decent enough and I personally couldn't give two shits which you'd choose. Your money, your Jeep and you should do what you want with both. The most I would ever hope to do is give you an honest opinion on whatever you're looking at and only if I have personal experience with them. But, I digress. Best of luck to you in getting the answer you're looking for (y)

Act
Umm, maybe I missed it but I could have sworn that more than a few people stated you should go for price over weight.

As far as brands go, MOST make a decent tire or decent enough and I personally couldn't give two shits which you'd choose. Your money, your Jeep and you should do what you want with both. The most I would ever hope to do is give you an honest opinion on whatever you're looking at and only if I have personal experience with them. But, I digress. Best of luck to you in getting the answer you're looking for (y)
Actually, if you go back and read, no not really.

The actual poll is 2 to 2.

A couple of people supported their thoughts both ways. A couple of people were definitive one direction or the other.
The rest of them want to argue physics of a rolling chassis. But no, not many came right out on one side or the other and said a thing.

As for "Risky for Wheeling" I clearly stated these tires are AT's, "Wheeling" isn't high on my list when driving.

Umm, okay. Never even looked at the poll, just went off of what I read or thought I read.

Like I said, best of luck to you in getting the answer you're wanting to hear (y)

M
Act

Actually, if you go back and read, no not really.

The actual poll is 2 to 2.

A couple of people supported their thoughts both ways. A couple of people were definitive one direction or the other.
The rest of them want to argue physics of a rolling chassis. But no, not many came right out on one side or the other and said a thing.

As for "Risky for Wheeling" I clearly stated these tires are AT's, "Wheeling" isn't high on my list when driving.

Man, I’d just stick to a D or E rated AT tire that you like the look of.

Top Bottom