Zeon winch question

Sharkey

Word Ninja
What are you guys using for spacers, and do you have any clue as to whether the bolts should be long enough as is or do they have to be replaced with some longer, grade 8 hardware?

benatc1

Hooked
What are you guys using for spacers, and do you have any clue as to whether the bolts should be long enough as is or do they have to be replaced with some longer, grade 8 hardware?
When I installed the quarter pounder with zeon and mid hoop on my JL I had about 2 threads on the bolts when using enough spacers to keep the winch off the grill, which you could probably only fit a hair between. Spacers were the Evo provided ones and my plan to was to eventually get longer bolts to better balance it all out.

vxskaxv

To the OP, what vehicle specifically are you putting this on. Just make sure you’re buying a winch for the right reasons. A 2dr Sport/Sahara/Rubicon only need an 8k winch. Where as a 4dr in the same models only need a 10k. Like with the rubicon hardrock front bumper it was designed for a Warn Zeon 8k, yes a 10k will fit with some sorcery and elbow grease but not what it was specifically designed for.

You just have to understand what too many fail to understand, a winch is a tool designed to pull you out of a mess not pull someone else out of their mess. So point being “don’t be one of the weekend road warriors that says he has to have a 15k minimum so that he can pull his buddies Chevy 3500 diesel dually out of a mud pit. That’s asking for serious trouble.

Only buy the size based on your vehicle weight that will one day get you out of a bind.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Um, get off the drugs. First, it’s Rock Hard, not hard rock. I’d love to see the spec from
Rock Hard wherein they make different front bumpers for the JL and JLU, much less where they state that you can only run an 8K winch on the JL version. Will an 8K winch work for a JL? Of course. But, so will a 10K.

vxskaxv

Oh and in regards to you being all hyped up over a “ZEON”…

I personally killed two “ZEON Platinums” in a 3 year period living in an extremely harsh saltwater environment. And I had WARNs head technical designers tell me on 4 different occasions that “our platinum Zeon is 100% water proof in most fresh water situations but not guaranteed in salt water”

Seahawkfan

Hooked

I personally killed two “ZEON Platinums” in a 3 year period living in an extremely harsh saltwater environment. And I had WARNs head technical designers tell me on 4 different occasions that “our platinum Zeon is 100% water proof in most fresh water situations but not guaranteed in salt water”
Nothing is going to stand up to driving it in to the fucking surf like an idiot. And don't say don't. I live in California and we have salt water the entire length of the state.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Pics or gtfo

Canvasback

To the OP, what vehicle specifically are you putting this on. Just make sure you’re buying a winch for the right reasons. A 2dr Sport/Sahara/Rubicon only need an 8k winch. Where as a 4dr in the same models only need a 10k. Like with the rubicon hardrock front bumper it was designed for a Warn Zeon 8k, yes a 10k will fit with some sorcery and elbow grease but not what it was specifically designed for.

You just have to understand what too many fail to understand, a winch is a tool designed to pull you out of a mess not pull someone else out of their mess. So point being “don’t be one of the weekend road warriors that says he has to have a 15k minimum so that he can pull his buddies Chevy 3500 diesel dually out of a mud pit. That’s asking for serious trouble.

Only buy the size based on your vehicle weight that will one day get you out of a bind.
First, I bought a bumper from Rock Hard. I have a JLUR and I don't see any where in the Rock Hard specs where it is says the bumper is specifically designed for a Warn Zeon 8. As mentioned, I was told by them over the phone to not order the zeon but instead the Evo. According to them, the zeon would be really tight or rub. That was the genesis for my question here. Unfortunately, I work full time during the week so I have no choice but to be a weekend warrior. And I am not purchasing the winch to pull out vehicles larger than mine. I am not sure what the salt water comment has to do with anything.

Brute

Hooked
First, I bought a bumper from Rock Hard. I have a JLUR and I don't see any where in the Rock Hard specs where it is says the bumper is specifically designed for a Warn Zeon 8. As mentioned, I was told by them over the phone to not order the zeon but instead the Evo. According to them, the zeon would be really tight or rub. That was the genesis for my question here. Unfortunately, I work full time during the week so I have no choice but to be a weekend warrior. And I am not purchasing the winch to pull out vehicles larger than mine. I am not sure what the salt water comment has to do with anything.
When shark fishing with your winch, I'd go with a cheap ass winch so you can change them out before each surf session...

I would not want you on the trail with me. I would only want people willing to offer a helping hand. People who give a shit about others.

Winches are rated with the line almost fully extended and the pulling power is only a half with the line most of the way in because the diameter increases and so more torque is required.

A 10k winch is not excessive for a JL two door.

Tell that to a tow truck driver.

kevman65

Hooked
I am assuming there will be no spacers coming with my mid width since they advised against the Zeon. Do you know what size spacers they provided with your full width RH?
There was a 1/2" thick and a 1" thick steel spacer included for each bolt passing through the bumper to the frame. Makes it a bit of a pain trying to hold the bumper, slide the bolt in, line up the spacers, then hit the frame hole with a bolt. I installed just a bolt to hold one side, then went to other side to assemble everything.

Little hint, upper right hole on driver side (as looking at bumper) I had to ream out the bolt hole on the frame a touch. Overlapping stamped steel was covering part of bolt hole.

In an afterthought, try emailing Rock Hard and see if you can get a set of their spacers. As I said, mine is full width steel Patriot.

Canvasback

There was a 1/2" thick and a 1" thick steel spacer included for each bolt passing through the bumper to the frame. Makes it a bit of a pain trying to hold the bumper, slide the bolt in, line up the spacers, then hit the frame hole with a bolt. I installed just a bolt to hold one side, then went to other side to assemble everything.

Little hint, upper right hole on driver side (as looking at bumper) I had to ream out the bolt hole on the frame a touch. Overlapping stamped steel was covering part of bolt hole.

In an afterthought, try emailing Rock Hard and see if you can get a set of their spacers. As I said, mine is full width steel Patriot.
Thank you very much! Appreciate it.

CalSgt

Hooked

I used random extra bolts inserted from the backside to get everything lined up (frame, spacer, bumper, and D-ring mount) then used the bumper bolts to push out the mock up bolts from the front side.

Canvasback

So, here is the update. The Rock Hard mid aluminum bumper and Zeon found there way on to my Jeep. Could not have done this without Sharkey’s help. So, a tip of my hat to him and his continued support throughout my first build.
Rock Hard did end up including 2 diff size of spacers of which we used both. This provided the space needed, front to back, set to the winch. For all the negative input I received from the RH rep about using a Zeon instead of the Evo, I was confused that the only specifically referenced winch in the install directions was the Zeon. Makes me question what the real motive might have been. At the end of the day, the challenge with setting the zeon was not a result of the RH bumper but instead was a result of the frame mount plates being too wide and not providing the clearance distance, side to side, needed to set the winch. Took some cutting and modification on the plates but in the end it worked and now the zeon has a happy home on the bumper. Need to pick up some black D rings but overall I am happy with everything. Especially, the weight savings on the bumper.
thanks to all who weighed in. 721546C7-9CFB-40BA-9285-D1930D06254A.jpeg

Attachments

• 9E541EF7-80D0-4046-8B0A-B9A17FF899BD.jpeg
    9E541EF7-80D0-4046-8B0A-B9A17FF899BD.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 11

We really should start a “wrong info” thread.

Top Bottom