Yukon Free Spin Hub Conversion Kit for 2001 TJ Dana 30

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with this hub conversion kit. yukon (ya wu-07) It uses a 27 spline outer and keeps the 5X4.5 bolt pattern.

Would like to know how it worked for you.

Does anyone know of any other options out there?

If anyone is curious, I reached out to Yukon and they have a hardcore locking hub assembly that is much stronger than this kit. It also upgrades the outer stub shafts to 30 spline and a 5 on 5.5 wheel bolt pattern. The Currie 44 axle uses the same size U joint so this would work with the stock TJ outer knuckle. With this wheel bolt pattern, there are a few awesome brake upgrades available, I believe from wilwood and maybe brembo. Now I just have to decide what I want to do first. 4.5" Evo overlander + for my gladiator, or all this for the TJ...

Serious question. Why?

Seems like for the money and then ending up changing lug patterns anyways, why would you not just swap a beefier axle. I’ve seen first hand the abuse a Dana 30 in a tj can handle, but you’re still talking about polishing a turd.

I would be upgrading the front axle to a Currie 44 down the road. I could do the yukon hubs now and it would work with my current 30 and I could still use it on the new 44. A plus is I have a Currie 9 inch in the rear already. The rear axle is pre drilled already for a 5 on 5.5 wheel on top of the 5 on 4.5. Just need to press in new studs. The alternative would be just get a 60 and pay for everything at once. I could just drive on my current set up and if I don't break anything until I can afford a 60 plus everything else I need for it to work, steering, suspension, hydro assist, 40s, stretch, that would be one way to go.

Again, I just don’t see the value here. You’re looking at getting $1500+ hubs. That goes along way towards something that’s actually worth it.

Sounds like you need to decide what you actually want first. If you’re just trying to get into a 44 you can get a complete rubicon 44 under what you’d spend on those hubs.

You got me thinking just now, and I had to go check ebay for an axle. They have a TJ Rubicon 44 on there for $3150. What draws me to the Currie 44 is it's a High Pinion 44. 1/2" axle tubes, larger C's, etc... perhaps I should hold off on doing hubs and the axle until I can do it all at once.

I'm going to pick your brain. If you wanted to run 37s on a TJ and run it in Moab, what front axle would you feel comfortable with?

Yeah check Craigslist or Facebook, they’re regularly 1000-1500 around here, just find a part out.
I know plenty of guys that run 37s on d30 without issue, a 44 would be fine for peace of mind for me (and they both use the same size u joints anyways) I wouldn’t shell out thousands for it, I also wouldn’t spend 1500 for those hubs, If you’re gonna throw cash at something and want a full float get one tons no need for an “in between” axle. But your money your build, do what you want.

jdofmemi

I would not trust a Dana 30 for anything other than driving down a snow packed road with 37s.

It has a smaller ring and pinion than the Toyota IFS, and I broke 5 ring and pinion sets in a little over a year, running 31s.

Spending any money to "upgrade" one is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Yeah check Craigslist or Facebook, they’re regularly 1000-1500 around here, just find a part out.
I know plenty of guys that run 37s on d30 without issue, a 44 would be fine for peace of mind for me (and they both use the same size u joints anyways) I wouldn’t shell out thousands for it, I also wouldn’t spend 1500 for those hubs, If you’re gonna throw cash at something and want a full float get one tons no need for an “in between” axle. But your money your build, do what you want.
I see the reasoning behind you recommending 1 tons. Not so much worth it to spend so much upgrading to a Currie 44 and the Yukon hubs when 1 tons are just another few months or so of saving up. Plus, its a whole package deal all the way out to the wheel mount surface. You may have persuaded me to hold out. However, maybe If I come across a sub $1500 TJ 44 before then, it wouldn't be a horrible upgrade.

I would not trust a Dana 30 for anything other than driving down a snow packed road with 37s.

It has a smaller ring and pinion than the Toyota IFS, and I broke 5 ring and pinion sets in a little over a year, running 31s.

Spending any money to "upgrade" one is like putting lipstick on a pig.
I think I will be holding out doing any upgrades to this axle, and holding out for a 1 ton upgrade. You and Snboarder13 are convincing me not to go to the dark side. All this talk about pigs is making me crave Lechon.

Top Bottom