Yankum Ropes, anyone using them?

kevman65

Hooked
I have an opportunity to purchase some at a decent discount.

Are these things any good or just more of the same over priced stuff?

Looks sturdy and I like that they’re made in the US, but definitely overpriced IMO. I have been using a $40 Tuff Stuff recovery strap/tree saver for years now and hasn’t failed me yet. Most recently I used it to pull out my buddy’s Tundra in the desert.
IMG_3045.png
There’s gotta be a more affordable but dependable option still.

kevman65

Hooked
Looks sturdy and I like that they’re made in the US, but definitely overpriced IMO. I have been using a $40 Tuff Stuff recovery strap/tree saver for years now and hasn’t failed me yet. Most recently I used it to pull out my buddy’s Tundra in the desert.
View attachment 395438
There’s gotta be a more affordable but dependable option still.
Yeah, unfortunately everything I'm seeing with U.S.A. tags looks more expensive than what it should be.

Even straps that are advertised as "Recovery Gear" are more expensive than industrial rigging straps of same size and length.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah, unfortunately everything I'm seeing with U.S.A. tags looks more expensive than what it should be.

Even straps that are advertised as "Recovery Gear" are more expensive than industrial rigging straps of same size and length.
Quality parts, quality labor, trucking, gas, dealing with bidenomics, it is what it is. Don't cheap put on recovery gear though, that's for sure.

I bought Bubba Rope. It is made in the USA, and I think it costs less than (overpriced) Yankum. No reason to believe it is not just as good or better. It has done well in YouTube comparison reviews such as "Project Farm". Sells to the government for military use.

GP NOIR

Hooked
The Bubba Rope costs more than the over priced Yankum Rope. Specs for both look the same.

I use the red recovery straps from Harbor Freight. They are not made for kinetic recoveries, just steady pulls. So far, they work great.

kevman65

Hooked
The Bubba Rope costs more than the over priced Yankum Rope. Specs for both look the same.

I use the red recovery straps from Harbor Freight. They are not made for kinetic recoveries, just steady pulls. So far, they work great.
I'm wanting to have one of each, snatch (kinetic) and tow/drag strap. I can get a 4" triple layer 20' nylon strap from work.
It's the kinetic that I don't like the prices. Even the discounted price on the Yankum I can get is a little steep.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I got an ARB snatch strap on Amazon, I got the one rated for 33,000 Lbs breaking.

Half the price of a Yankum and it’s ARB…

ARB ARB715LB 4-1/3" x 30' Recovery Strap - 33000 lbs Capacity https://a.co/d/92Dz33j
Apples and oranges. The snatch strap has a limited number of kinetic pulls before they lose elasticity. In my experience, straps are best when used for steady pulls. After too many hits, they start to stretch in spots and when that happens, they should be replaced.

That doesn’t make straps inferior. I did a recovery on Golden Spike where a strap worked better than a stretchy rope would have.

I got an ARB snatch strap on Amazon, I got the one rated for 33,000 Lbs breaking.

Half the price of a Yankum and it’s ARB…

ARB ARB715LB 4-1/3" x 30' Recovery Strap - 33000 lbs Capacity https://a.co/d/92Dz33j
That is good for a *really* heavy Jeep. Most jeeps are maybe 5000 pounds. Not sure what static bresking strength has to do with elastic recovery. The goal should be to transfer the energy from one vehicle to another with minimal shock load and maximum energy transfer.

CalSgt

Hooked
That is good for a *really* heavy Jeep. Most jeeps are maybe 5000 pounds. Not sure what static bresking strength has to do with elastic recovery. The goal should be to transfer the energy from one vehicle to another with minimal shock load and maximum energy transfer.
I bought all HD recovery gear and I pack it in my diesel when I go out with the 5th wheel…. I figured it would be better to have way higher rated gear and just deal with the extra space it takes up.

CalSgt

Hooked
Apples and oranges. The snatch strap has a limited number of kinetic pulls before they lose elasticity. In my experience, straps are best when used for steady pulls. After too many hits, they start to stretch in spots and when that happens, they should be replaced.

That doesn’t make straps inferior. I did a recovery on Golden Spike where a strap worked better than a stretchy rope would have.
Eh…. Straps roll up nicely and this one hasn’t failed me yet. It’s not like I’m using it for professional work, I’ve only ever had to get it out 4-5 times. I guess when it starts to show wear I’ll buy another and still have less money invested than a single rope.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Eh…. Straps roll up nicely and this one hasn’t failed me yet. It’s not like I’m using it for professional work, I’ve only ever had to get it out 4-5 times. I guess when it starts to show wear I’ll buy another and still have less money invested than a single rope.
(y)

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
As eluded to above there’s a difference between a kinetic recovery rope and a tow strap. Each have their place. I carry both. My recovery rope is by ASR offroad which my brother started but subsequently sold his share. It’s a quality rope. A few years ago when Brute and I were on the Dusy we yanked out a stuck Forest Ranger in a 3/4 ton Chevy with it and it was incredibly smooth.

Top Bottom