Would you rather buy stock or modded

A Jeep (or another project vehicle or project) is an extension of you, build it yourself make it your own. :crazyeyes:

oh I see what your saying. I wasnt looking at it as a extension of someone. For me a rig is a tool to get from point a to point b on the trail and have fun doing it.

oh I see what your saying. I wasnt looking at it as a extension of someone. For me a rig is a tool to get from point a to point b on the trail and have fun doing it.

I don't know if I would want to drive an extension of myself....it would probably stop mid-way through a trail and just take a nap, being over 40 makes me sleepy just thinking about doing things. :)

I don't know that i would feel comfortable buying a built up rig off of a complete stranger. I would fear the quality of work and parts used might not meet my expectations. As I would worry about the abuse put on it by the previous owner.

However, I have seen well respected off road manufacturers selling off their project vehicles. Now this is a case where I would consider such a purchase because I would imagine said company would stand behind their work.

The build process is fun, but waiting for cash to pile up between purchases is painful! I have had to put together a 5 year plan to get my rig built up just the way I want it. I'm sure it would be nice to have it all done and ready to go on day 1.

I don't know if I would want to drive an extension of myself....it would probably stop mid-way through a trail and just take a nap, being over 40 makes me sleepy just thinking about doing things. :)

LOL thats funny as hell. So what does that say about me at 57??? :crazyeyes:

I would feel more comfortable buying a stock rig and going from there so I could be confident that is was done "correctly." That said, you can spot the rigs that have quality parts and look to be put together by someone who knows what they are doing. In that case, you can save some money buying that way as you never get the price of the mods back.

As to the other point. I don't see building a rig as some big thing that makes it "mine" or "unique." I plan to put mine together for what I want it to accomplish in regards to the trails I want to do. As another poster said, I see it more as a fun tool to get me places I want to go, while having a whole lot of fun getting there. I don't need it to "stand out" in the crowd.

Different strokes! ;)

I'm actually kind of surprised at the answers. I know I learned my lesson on buying a modded Jeep but I half expected people to say its much cheaper to buy a modded one, just buy one with the work done. I know there are some people out there like me that like to do the work and make it their own but I'm surprised at the answers :thumb:

I agree with you and most others on buying stock. Thats what I have always done, with the exception of an older YJ and my brother got a steal of a deal on his 350 V8 LJ

now that right there's funny :cheesy:

Top Bottom