WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Any updates?

"Sua Sponte"

I'm going to attempt to flush the cooling system in the next week or so. If that doesn't work, I'm going to buy a set of AC gauges just to see where the pressures are at. If high side ends up being too high, then I'll have to diagnose that.

So when the A/C and/or defroster is off you don't have any issues?

Nope. No issues with AC off. But then again, there may be an issue I don't know about and as soon as the AC condensor gets hot up there, the issue appears. So it still could be a cooling system issue that only shows itself when AC is on.

There's definitely something between the 2 systems, because AC works completely normal UNTIL the temp gauge gets about 215F. Then all of the sudden, air blows hot, and compressor kicks on and off. If I rev up engine to get mechanical fan spinning faster, all problems go away. Fan clutch is new, electric fan is new, and electric fan working well. But both fans still won't pull enough air to solve the problem at idle, driving down the road works great. I can put a paper towel anywhere on the front of the Jeep and it sticks, so I know the fans are sucking like Monica Lewinsky. But still something isn't working right.

Nope. No issues with AC off. But then again, there may be an issue I don't know about and as soon as the AC condensor gets hot up there, the issue appears. So it still could be a cooling system issue that only shows itself when AC is on.

There's definitely something between the 2 systems, because AC works completely normal UNTIL the temp gauge gets about 215F. Then all of the sudden, air blows hot, and compressor kicks on and off. If I rev up engine to get mechanical fan spinning faster, all problems go away. Fan clutch is new, electric fan is new, and electric fan working well. But both fans still won't pull enough air to solve the problem at idle, driving down the road works great. I can put a paper towel anywhere on the front of the Jeep and it sticks, so I know the fans are sucking like Monica Lewinsky. But still something isn't working right.

Man, what a pain in the ass problem. Sorry to hear you still haven't got this one figured out.

Does lower radiator hose collapse? I know some years had issues with the lower hose.

"Sua Sponte"

I'll double check later today, but I doubt it because it has the metal spring inside. I remember that from when I did the thermostat.

Man, what a pain in the ass problem. Sorry to hear you still haven't got this one figured out.

No kidding. I hope to have it figured out soon. If not, I'll just embrace it.

I'll double check later today, but I doubt it because it has the metal spring inside. I remember that from when I did the thermostat.

That's what I was checking on. Apparently, some non-OEM hoses don't have the spring and the user has to swap it over.

"Sua Sponte"

That's what I was checking on. Apparently, some non-OEM hoses don't have the spring and the user has to swap it over.

"Sua Sponte"

A quick tire rotation today turned into a nightmare. One of the studs on my Zone spacer on my tire carrier snapped. It was too short to use, but the stud can't be changed, the whole assembly needs to be replaced. So I decided to take it off. I had welded it on, so it was very time-consuming. Because I had welded the nuts to the original tire carrier studs, those got fucked up too. Luckily at the end of the day, I was able to clean the threads up and save the studs on the original carrier and now the tire is closer to the vehicle, and I like the look a lot better. One thing that's cool though, I got to use my trail vice for the first time getting a nut out of a socket. The vice is beefy and works well.

IMG_20170825_161655_347.jpg

IMG_20170825_161719_370.jpg

IMG_20170825_161915_395.jpg

IMG_20170825_161620_133.jpg

A quick tire rotation today turned into a nightmare. One of the studs on my Zone spacer on my tire carrier snapped. It was too short to use, but the stud can't be changed, the whole assembly needs to be replaced. So I decided to take it off. I had welded it on, so it was very time-consuming. Because I had welded the nuts to the original tire carrier studs, those got fucked up too. Luckily at the end of the day, I was able to clean the threads up and save the studs on the original carrier and now the tire is closer to the vehicle, and I like the look a lot better. One thing that's cool though, I got to use my trail vice for the first time getting a nut out of a socket. The vice is beefy and works well.

View attachment 274038

View attachment 274039

View attachment 274040

View attachment 274041

Did you get IPA after that?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did you get IPA after that?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Indeed. Like six of them.

Cooling system update. Ran a chemical flush. Did 2 drain and refills afterwards, then used a hose and flushed everything manually, including the heater core. No debris came out and plenty of flow. Put it back together and refilled with a 50/50 mixture. Same shit, with ac on, gauge creeps up and ac blows warm. I am fairly confident that the cooling system is fine and this is an issue related to the AC system. I went ahead and used a UV light to check for leaks, none seen. I'm likely going to let this issue be ignored for now and deal with it next spring. I'll buy a set of gauges then and start diagnosing it.

Crap! I'm scrounging through every tech manual I have laying around for a solution.

"Sua Sponte"

I appreciate the help.I'm stumped. The hardest thing for me to overcome is that it happened so suddenly. One day everything was fine, next day there was an issue and been that way ever since.

Top Bottom