WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Did the 500 mile rear fluid change after the gear swap. Planning on doing the front tomorrow.. What a pain in the ass without a lift, even with jacking it up, the fuel tank is really in the way. Got the sway bar back on with the spacers I built so the sway bar would clear the new diff cover. Look how close it is even with the spacers I built. This is after I ground down some of the sway bar too. It's not hitting, I may leave it. If it starts rubbing, I will build spacers 1/4" thicker.

View attachment 187503View attachment 187504

awesome WJ!, thats pretty dam tight clearance lol

Sweet WJ! I so miss mine, wheeling in comfort and heated seats aint bad at all :) One mod I recommend is to raise your gas tank if you have not considered yet. Since you have the spare outside, you can raise the tank on the WJ by cutting the spare tire area (yes, big hole required, but can you can build a box to cover it up), but the clearance gain is huge by raising the gas tank. I will try digging my pics if you are interested in any info but plenty of write-ups out there.

Sweet WJ! I so miss mine, wheeling in comfort and heated seats aint bad at all :) One mod I recommend is to raise your gas tank if you have not considered yet. Since you have the spare outside, you can raise the tank on the WJ by cutting the spare tire area (yes, big hole required, but can you can build a box to cover it up), but the clearance gain is huge by raising the gas tank. I will try digging my pics if you are interested in any info but plenty of write-ups out there.

Thanks. We really do enjoy this thing. I am well aware of that mod but in my case, my spare tire well is filled with tools which are used regularly. Truthfully, we don't rock crawl hard, ours is more for overlanding/exploring/getting out of the city. We have taken it on trails that were about as rocky as we would ever want as far as obstacles with no issues, so I think we're good there. Thanks for the suggestion though. Our tank has a factory skid on it though which helps.

Last edited:
Looking good all cleaned up. That's Patriot Blue, isn't it? I had a Dakota a while ago and it was that color. Loved it.

Well-built WJ's (like this one) just look badass. I've seen some junker builds around town but haven't seen any like this one where they actually put time and effort into the build. Nice work. :clap2:

Well-built WJ's (like this one) just look badass. I've seen some junker builds around town but haven't seen any like this one where they actually put time and effort into the build. Nice work. :clap2:

Thanks. I appreciate it. It has been a fun project. I'm in the same boat, I love seeing builds where you can tell some one put a lot of time into it.

Just read your build thread start to finish...nice looking rig. I really like the clean look of your rocker sliders...

Just read your build thread start to finish...nice looking rig. I really like the clean look of your rocker sliders...

Thank you. I've been following your Hellcat build too, lookin good. I got these sliders for 250 bucks from a guy who builds them locally. I really like them and for the price, I couldn't pass em up. They're 3/16" thick. I've had to do some TLC on them, but they sure serve the purpose.

This idea comes from GraniteCrystal. Now I have a way to keep my tie downs organized and stored. Perfect fit.

DSC03024.jpg

Top Bottom