winch line abrasion guard questions

el_chupo_

Got the winch. Got a Spydura winch line to go on it. Looks like it has a heat guard built into the first few feet that go on the drum, and in the box was about 3ft of what appears to be a basic nylon webbing sleeve for an abrasion guard.

Do I need to worry about this being enough?

I have found a few places that sell abrasion guards (like MasterPull 3ft velcro guard), but I was thinking about getting something else. I was considering Aramid (Kevlar) braided sleeving, I have found 3/4" of this for fairly inexpensive, and I was thinking about buying 12 ft or so, to slide over the rope as the abrasion guard. This should be more than enough to cover a large rock or something in the path of the winch line.

Or am I just looking for ways to waste money, and the 3' is all I will really need?

If I do buy this, should I get an extra 10ft to use as a heat guard for the winch line on the drum on the power plant as well? I see that Masterpull uses this as a heat guard on their Superline XD lines.

Thanks!

Matt

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the most part, I think you'll find that you really don't need an additional abrasion guard. But, having one is nice just in case you need to pull another rig toward you and with the line wrapping over a rock. Again, most of the time, there are a lot of things you can do to prevent the need for this but, if you really think you may need it, it will come in handy. I have one made by ORO but have never needed to use it for as long as I've had it.

el_chupo_

Do you have the typical sleeve type on your rope all the time, or just the add on for when it is needed? It does not appear that ORO offers that any more (or any winch line stuff), but on the 4x4Xplor.com site it looks like velcro add on type.

I was kicking around the idea of the 10-12ft on the line in place of the 3ft section included, as it would not really get in they way or take up space in the recovery bag, but I have never used a winch for anything but loading a car on a trailer, so save me the $30 if its not needed!

Thanks

David1tontj

I used to have a 10' piece on my line.. Pretty much don't need it when winching yourself. The line doesn't move wen you are winching yourself.... Your jeep moves toward the stationary line. So it doesn't really need anything. I don't have mine anymore- that's how little I used it!

el_chupo_

I never thought of that, I guess I was thinking about pulling another to me, or using a block, but for most situations I see how it wouldnt be used.

Thanks to you both!

Top Bottom