Winch Disconnect Switch

mr.travo

So my "amazon special" winch is causing a slow drain on my battery. I would like to run a battery disconnect to the winch and was looking at the one pictured. They say it's rated at 500a. It also disconnects the ground side. Would this be an issue? Just trying to keep things simple and budget friendly right now.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Image 8.jpeg
    Image 8.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 9

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Are you sure it’s the winch that’s causing the drain? I would guess it’s a radio that’s causing the draw. How often are you using the winch? Just disconnect it from the battery altogether until you need it.

Solving a cheap China problem with another cheap China problem doesn’t seem like a great answer.

Last edited:

mr.travo

Yes I have unbolted the ground and problem was solved. Only noticeable during winter when it’s cold outside. Being that it’s starting to snow and stay icy I would like to have an easier way to connect it than breaking out socket and wrench every time I need to use it.

DManuel

I’d say it’s worth a try. Much easier than having to reconnect the winch if you have a sudden need for it - especially if you’re in snowy conditions. Something like that on Amazon probably doesn’t cost much and install will be easy. Try it. Worst case, you can always scrap it if there are any new issues. In the meantime, you can start saving for a Warn or at least a Smittybilt winch.

mr.travo

I’d say it’s worth a try. Much easier than having to reconnect the winch if you have a sudden need for it - especially if you’re in snowy conditions. Something like that on Amazon probably doesn’t cost much and install will be easy. Try it. Worst case, you can always scrap it if there are any new issues. In the meantime, you can start saving for a Warn or at least a Smittybilt winch.
Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Right now I am focusing on clearing up debt and paying off some things so a new winch won't be until 2025. I entered in the giveaway for the winch on here so wish me luck, LOL! If I win I will be giving my winch to someone else that doesn't have one. It will also include a battery disconnect switch too, LMAO!!!!

We are going to have some nice low 40's weather for the next few days so I am going to open up the winch control box to ensure everything is correct in there too. I might even buy a new relay if it's not fully opening or closing causing the slow draw.

Spazbyt

Hooked
Are sure that the "500" amp rating isn't actually a surge rating? That switch is not weatherproof at all so any corrosion will severely decrease the conductivity also arcing will occur every time it opens and closes further decreasing its conductivity. That switch will be the weakest link in the chain for sure. I would test your battery and check your winch control box for corrosion or possibly stuck solenoid before anything.

Spazbyt

Hooked
I'm no electrical engineer but those numbers seem way off to me. I would first compare it to some name brand battery disconnects if I were you. Just know winches pull a tremendous amount of amps, especially for the automotive industry. I would look to the Rv or marine industry for a trusted disconnect that can reliably handle that amperage.

mr.travo

Yes that was the plan. I didn’t want to cut power to the entire Jeep. I just wanted to isolate the winch.

I’m going to take the advice and search for a good quality cutoff from an RV dealership. Something weatherproof as it will live under my hood until I can afford a good quality winch or *cough cough* win the winch giveaway *cough cough* LOL!!!!

jal

When I installed my winch I used the WARN 62132 Power Interrupt Kit with Battery Lead, Hardware, Solenoid, Switch and Wiring https://a.co/d/f0gSp00
and wired that to the LASFIT Auxiliary Switch Bank Kit

Attachments

• IMG_2618.jpg
    IMG_2618.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2638.jpg
    IMG_2638.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 8

mr.travo

When I installed my winch I used the WARN 62132 Power Interrupt Kit with Battery Lead, Hardware, Solenoid, Switch and Wiring https://a.co/d/f0gSp00
and wired that to the LASFIT Auxiliary Switch Bank Kit
Yes Sir! I saw this one several days ago but was wondering if it would conflict with anything that this Rugcel winch had in it already. What would you think? Would it be acting as its own cutoff system and have nothing to do with the winch itself?

Thank you Jerry

EDIT: This is VERY similar to the glow plug setup on my older military M1009's and M1008 CUCV's. So if I remember how this solenoid works, it just turns on remotely and completes the connection from the battery to device "X". Am I following that correctly? If that's all it is, I know how to rig that up as I have repaired many of those older Chevy glow plug systems.

Reactions: jal
Top Bottom