Wild Wild West : 2013 JK-Experience Mega Thread

Love the pics. Do you know if anyone was running the Trail Grapplers on non beadlock ATX wheels?

Almost positive any ATX wheels were slabs. Actually everyone had beadlocks including some Methods, pointless, and Walker Evans as far as I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No I was asking if any one was running "normal" ATX wheels, or if everyone on JKX was running beadlocks.

I ran TG on non-beadlocks but they weren't ATX wheels, and it was during the 2012 JKX and for several months after. Not sure if that helps you out or not. :idontknow:

It does thanks. Not wanting to go to beadlocks yet because it's still going to be a daily driver. Had no complaints at all about my KM2's, but seriously thinking about getting Trail Grapplers this time, only thing that worries me is that they might not mold around rocks as well as the KM2 unless you have beadlocks due to the thicker sidewalls.

It does thanks. Not wanting to go to beadlocks yet because it's still going to be a daily driver. Had no complaints at all about my KM2's, but seriously thinking about getting Trail Grapplers this time, only thing that worries me is that they might not mold around rocks as well as the KM2 unless you have beadlocks due to the thicker sidewalls.

I never had any trouble. I would typically air down to anywhere between 15 and 12 psi for most runs. In fact I actually found myself at 4 psi one time after a run. :eek: But I never lost a bead. This was running several trails in Las Vegas and in Reno as well, not just the mud we had in the midwest. I probably have some pictures of the trails on here somewhere.

I never had any trouble. I would typically air down to anywhere between 15 and 12 psi for most runs. In fact I actually found myself at 4 psi one time after a run. :eek: But I never lost a bead. This was running several trails in Las Vegas and in Reno as well, not just the mud we had in the midwest. I probably have some pictures of the trails on here somewhere.

Ok stupid question time. How do you lose a bead if you aren't running bead locks? I thought beads where all the bolts that run around the rim of bead locks.

Ok stupid question time. How do you lose a bead if you aren't running bead locks? I thought beads where all the bolts that run around the rim of bead locks.

The bead is where the rim and tire connect. Losing a bead means the rim comes apart from the tire.

I run mud grapplers without Beadlocks and air down anywhere between 8-12 PSI on almost very trail.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378705094.425395.jpg

Tire flexes fine.

Last edited:

Not a stupid question.

Nutshell version...
The tire bead is the part of the tire that makes contact with the wheel. Sometimes the bead slips off the wheel (generally when running very low pressure and over rocky terrain). Obviously this is a problem and requires the bead to be reset on the wheel. Beadlocks actually clamp the wheel to the tire and prevent this from happening.

Basically, the bead is the part of the tire that seats on the edge of the wheel. A beadlock wheel has the ring to lock the bead of the tire.

Top Bottom