Wii/Playstation/XBox...what should I buy?

MTG

Caught the Bug
...and why?

I haven't been good at video games since they got rid of the joystick and one button! :crazyeyes:

Played a little Wii with the kids over vacation and they loved it.

I don't know anything about gaming...which platform is the best and why?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I was a playstation guy until I bought my xbox 360. Which is what I have now. I don't play it all that often but I prefer it over the others.

The wii is more geared to kids in my opinion. My parents have one which is good for them I think or younger kids. The Xbox you have to pay yearly to play online and the PS3 you get free. But I think the Xbox platform is better online then the PS3. Just my opinion.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I hear NES is a good platform. I've personally played such titles as Super Mario Brothers, RC Pro-Am, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, and a couple of my favorites, Contra and Zelda. I highly recommend these.

I know a couple of startup codes if you need them too... ;)

StrizzyChris

Overlander is spot on with some big points.

PS3 is the only system that can also function as your blueray player also.

Wii is much more kid friendly and enjoyable for young kids. Adults like it too, but mostly only when playing with the young kids.

Xbox 360 has a more cultish fallowing and consumer loyalty, but I have played it and ps3 and personally, I dont get it.

If you want to play games like call of duty or other online games then as stated it is free for PlayStation and Xbox makes you pay yearly (something like $30) to be online.

All systems have their own games that are exclusive to that system only.

Lastly it has been widely spoken that this year both PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo will all come out with their new system. The current systems have been out for 3+ years with only little tweaks in-between.

JethroJK

Everyone has some good points here. I have had all platforms and it is really up to personal preference. One thing about the Xbox 360 is the Kinect system. It is really nice. Hands free gaming. My daughter and me do the Nike + Kinect fitness training and we really like it. Really nice when it is cold out and I don't want to go anywhere to get some fitness.

Also the controllers are different in some ways, ergonomics type stuff. My hands like the Xbox controllers vice playstation are a little smaller.

For the kids and myself sometimes we really enjoy the Wii. But it is far different than the Xbox or Playstation. Hope this helps.
:standing wave:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the replies! I should specify this will be for my kids (2 and 5). My daughter played some dancing game on the wii at the Grandparents house and loved it.

So it looks like wii for them might be best. Need to research Xbox 360 more.

Any other opinions?

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks for the replies! I should specify this will be for my kids (2 and 5). My daughter played some dancing game at the Grandparents house and loved it.

Any other opinions?

If you are planning to play it at all get the Xbox 360 Connect. They can play dancing games and the like on there and you can play Call of Duty if you want. Connect is similar to the wii so with the 360 you get the best of both worlds.

Also just to make it clear, Xbox 360 is $59.99 a year but you can find deals for it sometimes on ebay and right now bestbuy has a special for $39.99.

MTG

Caught the Bug
If you are planning to play it at all get the Xbox 360 Connect. They can play dancing games and the like on there and you can play Call of Duty if you want. Connect is similar to the wii so with the 360 you get the best of both worlds.

Also just to make it clear, Xbox 360 is $59.99 a year but you can find deals for it sometimes on ebay and right now bestbuy has a special for $39.99.

Thanks. But I'm too busy getting my post count up on this forum to have time to play. :cheesy:

I honestly don't think I'll play it much. They got too complicated for me once they switched from this controller...

image-4234666251.jpg

Thanks for the replies! I should specify this will be for my kids (2 and 5). My daughter played some dancing game on the wii at the Grandparents house and loved it.

Any other opinions?

I'd say the Wii. I have owned all three consoles at some point or another. I kept the Wii... and I won't admit it here, but those dancing games are quite fun and challenging after 10-13 beers :drinks::drunkbuds:... oh wait :doh:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
um... at this point, maybe a Wii U. or XBOX360 w/Kinect. Just know the successor to the XBOX is coming very soon.

The PS3 shouldn't even be in the discussion. Wii U or XBX w/Kinect since you're talking about the kiddos.

I'm on my Xbox 360 almost every day playing NHL. :D

LoPo

Caught the Bug

Xbox Live is $60/year. You can still have an Xbox without the online subscription, you just don't get online play and access to certains apps in stuff. For local play with Kinect and the dancing games with the family, it's not required.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Xbox Live is $60/year. You can still have an Xbox without the online subscription, you just don't get online play and access to certains apps in stuff. For local play with Kinect and the dancing games with the family, it's not required.

I said that in an earlier post. Just clearing up the price point as another member said it was $30 a year. And if you look on bestbuy right now they have a special for $39.99. :thumb:

JeepJK4832

I won't get into the details of each like everyone else because they pretty much have it covered. I would say that if it is specifically for your kids who are 2 and 5, then the Wii or Wii U (newest wii console) would be the best bet. Most of their games are already tailored for kids and they are easy to play. It also has a lot of Mario games that may take you back lol. I've owned them all and I prefer the Xbox 360, but the Wii or Wii U is probably the best option to get your kids.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Personally I like the Xbox 360 with Kinect. We have owned all three systems including the PlayStation3 Move. The great thing about the Xbox with Kinect is that you don't need a controller for a lot of games. You don't even need a controller to work the menu system and it has voice control.

You can buy games like fruit Ninja for pretty cheap. The apps are superior to the Wii and PS3 and my kids enjoy not having to look for batteries to play their favorite kinect games. You can purchase inexpensive rechargeable battery packs with a charger for the controllers online. The kids never want to play the Wii anymore and we will probably trade it in for some new games.

One other thing is you get a whole lot more excessive than with the Wii. With the Wii you only use your arms when playing motion games, with the Xbox you use your whole body.

One of my favorite games is the Star Wars Kinect. You get to play a Rancor and it is like you ARE the Rancor! It's so cool!

There are a lot of very neat Kinect games for kids!

As a final note I will say that the Xbox is the only system with a true HD HDMI connection. PS3 is pretty good but Xbox is superb! :twocents:

Edit: My kids are 8 and 5. Even the 5 year old can work the Kinect, but has trouble with the Wii buttons and wandlike controller.

StrizzyChris

Personally I like the Xbox 360 with Kinect. We have owned all three systems including the PlayStation3 Move.

You've obviously heard tons of people's preferences. Like I said, Xbox is like a cult(just like Jeeps) and they'll die before they switch to something else, but my personal preference is PS3. I will say that the PlayStation Move controllers to compete with wii and Xbox connect are complete crap and dont even compare! If its body interaction you're wanting for your kids, then dont do PS3

FoxC

We are a PS3 house. Blue-ray capability and for online gaming...its the way to go. As mentioned above, if its for the little ones, then get the wii. Our girls 10 and 4 love it. I like playing golf on the wii, but also like getting online with the ps3 and playing call of duty with justin and his buddies. I can survive for about 2 minutes online...getting slow with age::sigh:

MTG

Caught the Bug
So Xbox is made by microsoft? Does it lock up and need rebooted all the time like every POS computer I've owned that wasn't made by Apple? :there is no duck emoticon:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I'm telling you all... No one listens....

THIS is where it's at:

image-2446813411.jpg

:Thumbs up: <- because I can't use emoticons on the iPhone app.

htweelz

You've obviously heard tons of people's preferences. Like I said, Xbox is like a cult(just like Jeeps) and they'll die before they switch to something else, but my personal preference is PS3. I will say that the PlayStation Move controllers to compete with wii and Xbox connect are complete crap and dont even compare! If its body interaction you're wanting for your kids, then dont do PS3

I would say they are all like a cult not just the X-Box. Everyone thats a fan of one usually hates on the others. I've had people I don't even know jump on me for not having a PS3. I'm like who the heck are you and I don't even care. I used my PS2 until I played the original Halo on the first X-Box. I loved the game so much that I made the switch and bought an X-box and Halo and joined Live when it first came around. However, I still have my PS2, my original X-box, a Nintendo 64, a Super Nintendo, Wii and my old Atari 2600. My son (13) and I play them all. I love them all. However I have the most invested in my X-Box and all of my friends have X-Boxes so that makes it easy to hook up and play games.

I have the Kinect for the 360 and that made the Wii leave the living room for the basement TV. Its nice to not hold a controller while you play. The sport and dance games are fun on Kinect. We are also on X-Box Live but we do a family plan which is $100/year and you get 4 gamer tags and I save $20. So everyone in my family has a gamer tag. We also have Netflix and watch lots of movies and TV shows right from the X-Box.

Top Bottom