Who votes for WOL to make an Expedition Video?

JKBANDIT55

I know he makes a lot of awesome wheeling videos. I think him and his wife could make a killer expedition video! The only expedition videos I know of are the AEV one on dangerous drives and the ones in expedition one.

JKBANDIT55

Give some detail about the history of the trail, the challenges you come by, gas, food, camping, landscape shots, some winching action, jokes, old mines or cool things they find and the remoteness of where they are at. Show how exploration plays a big part in our way of life, and how not knowing what getting your self into is why we do what we do!

Just a thought I had!

JKBANDIT55

Wow great thread just read 12 pages lol..

I get what Eddie is saying here. And I agree that his rig is built well for overland as well as rock crawling. And yes I know he has done these before, but you wouldn't know it from his videos because it only shows the action. Which is awesome!!! But how about the behind the scenes footage, the footage showing its a long trail run. Showing the viewers that our way of life is more than just crawling rocks, but also adventure, exploration, survival, and the skills it takes!

I guess when I think of overland and an overland build. I think of a trip and build that's ready to handle a 1-2 week or more excursion in remote areas. An overland rig is a rig capable of living off that rig through this experience without having to to count on a gas station 20 miles from the trail head. I would say eddies rig is jack of all trades. He has built his to handle both 1 day hardcore Rock crawling and week long wheeling trips.

What applies to The majority of us and what the majority calls a rock crawling rig is a rig that is built, to handle a 1-2 day trail. And most of these people aren't equipped with the things to go longer without extra gas tanks, cookware, recovery gear, water, fire wood, fire starters, a device to store and keep food fresh (arb fridge), sleeping equipment, etc...

So to me, an over landing build is a rig equipped with all things necessary to do an extra long wheeling trip rather than a 1-2 day trail run. It's what I call not just the mods to take on a trail, and to me this is what make an overland rig different from a rock crawler build is mods to also live off the rig during these long expeditions. Its not suspension, bumpers, snorkels, etc that separate the two different builds, its the mods that make your vehicle capable of taking on longer adventures.See the whole point of an expedition to me is to explore, not knowing what lies ahead, but you know that you are equipped with everything you need to keep going and conquer this exploration through the wild for a longer period of time than your normal 1 day trail run.

It's just another style of wheeling.

I hope I can help Eddie understand the little difference between the two, and hopefully we get a video of it!!!

Last edited:

TrailBear

Sounds like you got a good handle on it and its the part of jeeping you enjoy, so pick up a video camera to tape your adventures. Then share it with everyone, we build or jeeps to do the type of off road we enjoy, but we love to learn how others build their rigs and why, and really enjoy a good vid of said adventure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know he makes a lot of awesome wheeling videos. I think him and his wife could make a killer expedition video! The only expedition videos I know of are the AEV one on dangerous drives and the ones in expedition one.

LOL!! Our big white JK acutally has a brief cameo in the AEV Dangerous Drives :yup:

I guess when I think of overland and an overland build. I think of a trip and build that's ready to handle a 1-2 week or more excursion in remote areas.

Just out of curiosity, where in the continental United States of America have you been where it's so remote that you're required to handle a 1-2 week long excursion?

An overland rig is a rig capable of living off that rig through this experience without having to to count on a gas station 20 miles from the trail head.

But, this is America, not the frozen wastelands of Siberia, thick jungles of South America or the wide open desert plains of the Australian outback. It is sad but, with a little planning, you'll always have a place to tank up here.

What applies to The majority of us and what the majority calls a rock crawling rig is a rig that is built, to handle a 1-2 day trail. And most of these people aren't equipped with the things to go longer without extra gas tanks, cookware, recovery gear, water, fire wood, fire starters, a device to store and keep food fresh (arb fridge), sleeping equipment, etc...

With the exception of extra fuel, we carry all that and more and yes, that even includes an ARB fridge. :yup: I should note that we've only recently ditched the extra fuel after years and years of carrying it and only because we have found that with simple planning, it's just not needed.

So to me, an over landing build is a rig equipped with all things necessary to do an extra long wheeling trip rather than a 1-2 day trail run. It's what I call not just the mods to take on a trail, and to me this is what make an overland rig different from a rock crawler build is mods to also live off the rig during these long expeditions. Its not suspension, bumpers, snorkels, etc that separate the two different builds, its the mods that make your vehicle capable of taking on longer adventures.See the whole point of an expedition to me is to explore, not knowing what lies ahead, but you know that you are equipped with everything you need to keep going and conquer this exploration through the wild for a longer period of time than your normal 1 day trail run.

It's just another style of wheeling.

I hope I can help Eddie understand the little difference between the two, and hopefully we get a video of it!!!

I don't know, I guess for me, the minute you're off pavement, you're wheeling. All the lables that people like to throw around are just that - labels. I know people like to call our Jeeps "rock crawlers" but, I prefer to call them "built to handle whatever comes our way."

Having said all that, I will admit that we haven't done many videos highlighting all the exploration we do in fact do and I suppose a lot of that is because we've always assumed people would find it to be boring. On trips like that, we tend to just take a lot of photographs but, perhaps we can try to work on something in the future. Thanks for the suggestion :yup:

Serg5000

I'm with Eddie on this one as far a fuel goes. I carried fuel for around a year each and every time we would go out. We found that we really never used much out on the trail. we stopped carrying fuel because of that.
We carry most mentioned above. Food is the easiest to carry. Having invested in an ARB it makes everything easy. We we prep every thing then freeze it. Meats and chicken that is. Moving tomorrows meal to the top of the fridge allows it to de-frost. Along with sandwich stuff, one can go on for days without food issues. The rest mentioned are basic camping needs.

After about the fourth day my girl kind of likes to sleep on a real bed. So that's been the max we have stayed out camping. It's funny because I make sure we have showers every day. I guess there just isn't any substitute for a real bed. Lol.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
With the exception of extra fuel, we carry all that and more and yes, that even includes an ARB fridge. :yup: I should note that we've only recently ditched the extra fuel after years and years of carrying it and only because we have found that with simple planning, it's just not needed.

Doesn't always work out though.:cheesy::thumb:

JKBANDIT55

Lol. I just think it would be cool to highlight the exploration aspect of wheeling as well as the insane wheeling action. Kind of like a documentary type video? It's hard to explain what I'm getting at. I really enjoy Eddies photos and write ups about his explorations, just haven't seen that side in video! I'm sure you will get a great turn out in views as a lot of us originally got into jeeping by exploring and got the crazy obstacle bug after!!!!

And yes I seen a few clips of Moby in te AEV dangerous drives!!! Very great show! I think Eddie can top that though in making that style of video! Heck his videos already top that episode!

JKBANDIT55

Check out this video!

Not jeep. But kind of the route I think a jeep video will really turn out awesome from wayalife. Not that his videos already dont:yup: They pretty much sum up and explain my favorite kind of off roading!

Its a 6 episode series. This first one kind of introduces the people in their group and explains why they do overlanding.
The other 5 episodes are all action! Its a slow start but bare with me. Its not as extreme and blood pumping as Eddies videos. Which brings up my point. A style of this video from Eddie and his fellow rigs would make it an EPIC trip!!!!!
http://vimeo.com/31391457

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Check out that overlanding thread and report back. I think that will answer your questions of the expedition vehicle.

Serg5000

Hey Eddie. Would it be possible for you to show or explain to the Jeepers that are new to this Wayalife how you plan for the kinds of trips you take?
What I mean is, lots of new comer are dealing with having a jeep for the first time. Now they have to try and anticipate what may or may not be needed.

For example. How to determine if extra fuel is needed or not. I notice one of the first things us new people buy is Jerry cans and a means to carry it. I have to tell you I was one of them. But after seeing picture after picture of you and Cindy out in the middle of nowhere without fuel, I took a closer look at the last time I actually used the extra fuel I carried. I think it was once.
Out in Death Valley. But that's another story.

You and Cindy have a lot of experience doing this. Your experience could really help others. Just a thought.

JKBANDIT55

Hey Eddie. Would it be possible for you to show or explain to the Jeepers that are new to this Wayalife how you plan for the kinds of trips you take?
What I mean is, lots of new comer are dealing with having a jeep for the first time. Now they have to try and anticipate what may or may not be needed.

For example. How to determine if extra fuel is needed or not. I notice one of the first things us new people buy is Jerry cans and a means to carry it. I have to tell you I was one of them. But after seeing picture after picture of you and Cindy out in the middle of nowhere without fuel, I took a closer look at the last time I actually used the extra fuel I carried. I think it was once.
Out in Death Valley. But that's another story.

You and Cindy have a lot of experience doing this. Your experience could really help others. Just a thought.

I used to think Jerry cans weren't needed as well. Then I found myself turning around on trails just to be able to make it back into town. If I had extra gas I would be able to explore further in the colorado back country. These old mine roads go for miles and miles, and lots of the time you find your self in deep river crossings and areas with some rocks a stock vehicle will struggle on.

So Jerry cans are on the list. But something easily removable so I don't have to carry them every day.

And I agree, a thread with things people need in trails would help lots of new comers!

Last edited:

RFBIII

I used to think Jerry cans weren't needed as well. Then I found myself turning around on trails just to be able to make it back into town. If I had extra gas I would be able to explore further in the colorado back country. These old mine roads go for miles and miles, and lots of the time you find your self in deep river crossings and areas with some rocks a stock vehicle will struggle on.

So Jerry cans are on the list. But something easily removable so I don't have to carry them every day.

And I agree, a thread with things people need in trails would help lots of new comers!

Agreed. I carry extra fuel, just so that when I am up in the mountains I don't have to drive down the trail an hour or two and then another 45 minutes to the station. Yes, I can plan for it. Just don't want to take the time for it. I can get back to the fuel, I don't want to leave the wilderness in order to do so.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Over the years, I've owned a CJ7, a TJ, 2 XJ's, 4 JK's and yes, god forbid - even an Isuzu Rodeo at one point and time. I may not have been doing this as long as some of you here but, during that time, I've made it a habbit to always carry gas and here are a few pics of the rigs I've had with them on...

DSC00521.jpg

main.php

main.php

main.php

After re-evaluating my actual use of them over the years (or should I say, lack of it), I realized that I've never really needed them. Needless to say, I no longer carry them on any of my Jeeps. Of course, that's just me. :yup:

Top Bottom