Where to start

Hello, of course I'm new here. I have a 71 cj5 v6 225 . All original as far as I can tell. It sat for a long time. Previous owner purchased it new but sadly went blind. His wife left it under a tarp hoping one of his sons would bring it back to life one day but they had no interest in it and here we are. I cleaned the tank and lines changed the oil got a set of points and it runs fine. But 2nd gear pops out. I pulled tranny took it to trsnny shop 1,300.00 to rebuild. Cheap enouph but put it back in. Drive a mile and the rear drive shaft comes loose internally from transfer case. That brake and all . Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also what kit is suggested for replacing the points to electronic?

Solution
Thanks for the responses. Output shaft moving around so much cant be good. So what would you all do find someone to rebuild it buy a refurbished ( saw one on ebay from company on east coast with 90 days warranty for $530.00) buy whole new unit tranny and all and upgrade to 4speed. Or non of the above? I appreciate any and all input!
Is that oil from the T case?

Take a long screwdriver and use to see if there's play in the u-joints. Even if there isn't, I think you should rebuild both driveshafts. U-joints look old and dry.

Then remove the drive shaft and brake drum and inspect everything.
Okay drum off and yes a ton of play from output shaft.here are some pics

Attachments

• 20221022_135836.jpg
    20221022_135836.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221022_135827.jpg
    20221022_135827.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221022_134828.jpg
    20221022_134828.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. Output shaft moving around so much cant be good. So what would you all do find someone to rebuild it buy a refurbished ( saw one on ebay from company on east coast with 90 days warranty for $530.00) buy whole new unit tranny and all and upgrade to 4speed. Or non of the above? I appreciate any and all input!

Upvote 0
Solution

CalSgt

Hooked
When you said the shop that rebuilt it said to bring it back did you ask them if its their fault if they'll fix it free?

Upvote 0

GP NOIR

Hooked
First thing is find out what you have- what transmission and t-case is in your Jeep.

Second is identify your problem. From what i understand, the transmission is freshly built, but the t-case has play at the output shaft.

Third, research options.

Fourth is to set short and long term goals. Your short term goal might be to rebuild the t-case, brake and drive shaft so you can drive the Jeep.

Long term goal might be to install a more modern drive train, such as a 4 or 5 speed transmission and t-case to match. This will give you better drivability, but is more involved. The driveshaft parking brake would need to be deleted and replaced with a parking brake at the rear wheels.

What you should do is what you want. Do you want to keep the original drive train? Or do you want to update?

Myself, if I wanted to off-road this Jeep, I’d go for the more modern drive train. But that doesn’t mean that’s the best choice for you. Listen to your heart and follow it.

Upvote 0
I really had figured on restoring it to the original jeep it was. I would like to take it back to show the lady who'd husband owned it. She seemed disappointed that her sons had no interest in it. After all she only wanted me to give her 400$ for it. After that I can start modifications and set it up for my liking. Thanks alot for that answer is was a great answer and it reminded me what my intentions were from the start. Sorry I have no more to offer you in return other than a pile of gratitude. I will be posting more pics as I progress and probably have more questions. Thanks again, Marvin.

Upvote 0
When you said the shop that rebuilt it said to bring it back did you ask them if its their fault if they'll fix it free?
The shop owner said that they rebuilt the tranny not the t
He said that they rebuilt tranny and not t case. See I bought the tranny rebuild kit on line and it didnt have rebuild parts for t case in it. I didnt look at it as 2 separate parts I wont make that mistake twice. But oh well people pay to go to school every day. Guess I paid some of my dues.lol
case

Upvote 0
The shop owner said that they rebuilt the tranny not the t

He said that they rebuilt tranny and not t case. See I bought the tranny rebuild kit on line and it didnt have rebuild parts for t case in it. I didnt look at it as 2 separate parts I wont make that mistake twice. But oh well people pay to go to school every day. Guess I paid some of my dues.lol
case

Attachments

• 20221101_035656.jpg
    20221101_035656.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221101_035648.jpg
    20221101_035648.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
Do you believe that shop owner that rebuilt tranny could have someway known condition of tcase from rebuilding tranny? Also the tcase had as much water in it as oil. Any ideas on how water gets in a tcase. I have had the jeep under a roof so kinda weird shouldnt that case be sealed?I decided to to do the rebuild on tcase myself at least I know what I have that way. Thanks A LOT for your help!!

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
Do you believe that shop owner that rebuilt tranny could have someway known condition of tcase from rebuilding tranny? Also the tcase had as much water in it as oil. Any ideas on how water gets in a tcase. I have had the jeep under a roof so kinda weird shouldnt that case be sealed?I decided to to do the rebuild on tcase myself at least I know what I have that way. Thanks A LOT for your help!!
Probably not... If they were paid to build the trans only they probably wouldn't have even looked at the transfer case. No idea on the water issue.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom