Where to start?

JakeB

Thanks for the warm welcomes. As I mentioned in my intro, we're just getting started in the off road lifestyle, and I'm sure there are MANY opinions on this......

But where should we start. Mostly looking to do moderate trails to get started, nothing too crazy yet, and just enjoy all the nature Colorado and surrounding states have to offer. Do I start with a lift, tires, something else? There are lots of things I've seen that I like, but want to take it one reasonable step at a time.

Ddays

Hooked
Before you do anything too crazy, get to know what your Jeep will do as-is. You'll be surprised at how capable it is. Get comfortable in different situations and get a feel for what you want to do in the long run. You've got so many awesome trails in Colorado that you can do it's crazy. It's a shame throwing good money after bad when you start out. Lots of us have and regret it - ask me how I know.

Upvote 0

BaddestCross

Recovery gear for sure. Run it stock for awhile until you see what your Jeep can do. As you tackle harder stuff you'll find out what needs to be upgraded for what you want to do.

Upvote 0

Jkratt

Exactly what MericaMade said. Next advice. Go out and enjoy what a Jeep gives you. Freedom to go out Anywhere you want. I can’t explain it, but money just flys out of the wallet as you chase your upgrade wants. They never end. Everybody on this site has great advice and all of us have made mistakes on our choices.

Upvote 0

Elroy231

As everyone above has mentioned, recovery gear and getting a feel for your jeep. Even on a stock jeep a winch can sure come in handy.
Learning what your jeep will and won't do is probably more beneficial than jumping into a lift and tires right away. It doesn't take long to become one with your jeep.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As has been mentioned already, recovery gear is where you should start. Really, just a strap is all you need and make sure to wheel with a friend. If you don't have a Rubicon or don't have them already, rocker guards is what I would recommend next. Those two things alone will take you far. From there, I would say to use your Jeep and have fun with it and you'll learn what it is what you need next.

Upvote 0

TonyT

Caught the Bug
You will certainly be surprised how capable your jeep is as it sits right now, but if I was starting over I would start looking at lift/wheels/tires. That's assuming you already have basic tools, recovery equipment, a high-lift jack, and recovery points on your vehicle in front and back since those are not always standard.

Upvote 0

Bierpower

Hooked
I'm a little harder on the skid plates than some but you can do a majority of trails around the state with a Rubicon at stock ride height.

As stated a couple times, always go with somebody.

As for mods I kinda go backwards so not much good advice from me.

Upvote 0

JakeB

Thanks for the warm welcomes. As I mentioned in my intro, we're just getting started in the off road lifestyle, and I'm sure there are MANY opinions on this......

But where should we start. Mostly looking to do moderate trails to get started, nothing too crazy yet, and just enjoy all the nature Colorado and surrounding states have to offer. Do I start with a lift, tires, something else? There are lots of things I've seen that I like, but want to take it one reasonable step at a time.
First trip out yesterday into Roosevelt National Forest. Took a 12 mile route, nothing too crazy, but was definitely amazed at the ability of the stock JL. Great advice from this group, can't wait for the next drive!

Upvote 0

TrailHunter

Hooked
Congrats on your first Jeep... I went 2 years on stock suspension and tires.... Had a Blast! After Tools & Recovery Gear, an on board compressor was my immediate upgrade... Airing down makes a Huge difference when stock or lifted, in the comfort & capability... Skids & sliders got installed when I got more adventurous... Then Lift, Wheels & Tires. I never felt rushed... just Truly enjoyed being in the Jeep and exploring.

Upvote 0

LarryB

Before you do anything too crazy, get to know what your Jeep will do as-is. You'll be surprised at how capable it is. Get comfortable in different situations and get a feel for what you want to do in the long run. You've got so many awesome trails in Colorado that you can do it's crazy. It's a shame throwing good money after bad when you start out. Lots of us have and regret it - ask me how I know.
I live in Calgary (“Colorado North”), so I am somewhat familiar with the terrain. Don’t discount what a stock Jeep can do. If you have decent AT or MT tires, you can get through some tough terrain with no issues. I volunteered at an ultramarathon and was shocked at how easily I got up to 10K feet for an aid station, even in the mud. Buying some good recovery gear / tools is a great idea. I had bad ATs on it and upgraded … that will be a good idea in any driving environment. But, unless you are really doing some rough terrain, you may be able to skip the lifts and other major upgrades.

Upvote 0

kevman65

Hooked
First major investment, get a front bumper and winch along with the recovery gear.

You're going to want to go out when no one else has time and with that bumper, winch, and recovery gear you can get yourself out
of a whole lot of stupid.

I agree with the sliders/rock rails too. Will help keep you out of some of that stupid.

Stupid gets expensive fast 🤣 been there, done that.

Upvote 0

JakeB

I live in Calgary (“Colorado North”), so I am somewhat familiar with the terrain. Don’t discount what a stock Jeep can do. If you have decent AT or MT tires, you can get through some tough terrain with no issues. I volunteered at an ultramarathon and was shocked at how easily I got up to 10K feet for an aid station, even in the mud. Buying some good recovery gear / tools is a great idea. I had bad ATs on it and upgraded … that will be a good idea in any driving environment. But, unless you are really doing some rough terrain, you may be able to skip the lifts and other major upgrades.
We've gotten out the last couple of weekends and definitely started to play around. I have been surprised/impressed so far, but certainly haven't pushed our luck. Definitely seeing some things we need, but taking our time as many of you have suggested!

Upvote 0
Top Bottom