Where did your Jeep take You this Week?

p38

Caught the Bug
Such a fun event to spectate as you can see different areas of the course pretty easy. I always wondered how to get out onto the course. It just takes a $25,000 camera and the ability to use it........ Looks like I will continue to see it from the sidelines. Beautify Jeep by the way!!!!!!!!
We do get a front row seat! The places for spectators to view the race are limited. I only know the start/finish infield course and that section out in Jean. The majority of the 100 miles is closed to the public. There are a few utility access roads which cross the course, and those all have people in place to insure nobody gets on the course. The paved road from Jean is blocked by the airport.

Typically I arrive on the Sunday when the course is being set up, load the course info into my Lowrance on Monday, and drive the course for the next couple days. Usually there's a cameraman with me, sometimes I drive it by myself. While the overall area of the course stays the same, the actual course and direction change. We know the general areas, but we scout the actual course for specific shots, angles, background, etc.

I have Google Earth imagery on my Lowrance which I can turn on or off so I can "see" the course overlaid onto the terrain. This allows me to determine which, if any, of those utility roads or trails provide the best access on or off the course.

Usually I drive the course; my rig has race lights, and is capable of decent speed. I can actually outrun some of the classes on Friday, but if I see someone coming up behind me I pull over and they pass like they would any other slower vehicle.

The challenge is getting back off the course. The filming stops when it gets dark but the race continues on into the night, the data needs to get back to the media center for processing, and the best place to shoot have the least amount of access. Following a pre-planned exit route, I move on the course when clear and get to one of those utility roads. I have enough lights to reproduce daylight, but I don't want to distract the racers so I use low lighting and FLIR.

Yes, those cameras carry a big price tag. We used one in Dec that was about double your estimate. We had a much smaller one mounted to the jeep on a rotating base so it could shoot 360°. I got up to about 75 on that dry lake bed and the base on the camera broke - above the safety line. We did find the camera.

The Calif 300 will be held this Oct in Barstow, we will be there in the same capacity.

steveb san diego

Caught the Bug
We do get a front row seat! The places for spectators to view the race are limited. I only know the start/finish infield course and that section out in Jean. The majority of the 100 miles is closed to the public. There are a few utility access roads which cross the course, and those all have people in place to insure nobody gets on the course. The paved road from Jean is blocked by the airport.

Typically I arrive on the Sunday when the course is being set up, load the course info into my Lowrance on Monday, and drive the course for the next couple days. Usually there's a cameraman with me, sometimes I drive it by myself. While the overall area of the course stays the same, the actual course and direction change. We know the general areas, but we scout the actual course for specific shots, angles, background, etc.

I have Google Earth imagery on my Lowrance which I can turn on or off so I can "see" the course overlaid onto the terrain. This allows me to determine which, if any, of those utility roads or trails provide the best access on or off the course.

Usually I drive the course; my rig has race lights, and is capable of decent speed. I can actually outrun some of the classes on Friday, but if I see someone coming up behind me I pull over and they pass like they would any other slower vehicle.

The challenge is getting back off the course. The filming stops when it gets dark but the race continues on into the night, the data needs to get back to the media center for processing, and the best place to shoot have the least amount of access. Following a pre-planned exit route, I move on the course when clear and get to one of those utility roads. I have enough lights to reproduce daylight, but I don't want to distract the racers so I use low lighting and FLIR.

Yes, those cameras carry a big price tag. We used one in Dec that was about double your estimate. We had a much smaller one mounted to the jeep on a rotating base so it could shoot 360°. I got up to about 75 on that dry lake bed and the base on the camera broke - above the safety line. We did find the camera.

The Calif 300 will be held this Oct in Barstow, we will be there in the same capacity.
That is so sad about the mount breaking....... So cool to get to drive the whole course and see it all. When those trophy trucks come up from behind that has to be a bit unnerving....... Well it would be for me!!! :)

Sgt_USMC

took the wife and pupper for a nice drive. Found a nice little hole in the wall joint to have tacos and look at classic cars.
Seeing all the green was such a surprise, we expected it to be like most of SD (brown), but nothing but beautiful fresh green growth everywhere for miles and miles! Great way to spend a Saturday morning!

Attachments

• D59ED8BC-B4BB-4E7A-B4DE-E11A2732C9EA.jpeg
    D59ED8BC-B4BB-4E7A-B4DE-E11A2732C9EA.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 5B4B5F06-20E4-4810-93EC-F5BEB04E5C5F.jpeg
    5B4B5F06-20E4-4810-93EC-F5BEB04E5C5F.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 308909C1-1BA1-4DDA-8143-9F330EEFDD4C.jpeg
    308909C1-1BA1-4DDA-8143-9F330EEFDD4C.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 7

JimLee

Hooked
Made a little day trip out into the El Paso range this weekend, works been a bastard and we haven't gotten out in a couple of months. Nothing hardcore, sandy wash, couple of rocks to wheel over here and there, mostly a sightseeing trip. Didn't get a lot of photos, but got a few. This area has a long mining history and some pretty cool geographical features. Good day all around.

20220318_103030.jpg
20220318_104654.jpg
20220318_112325.jpg
20220318_114954.jpg
"The Narrows", not dat ass but the rocks. Surprisingly it gets a bit narrow in there...

20220318_121600.jpg 20220318_122039.jpg 20220318_122054.jpg 20220318_122248.jpg 20220318_122904.jpg 20220318_124941.jpg
ET phone home...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Made a little day trip out into the El Paso range this weekend, works been a bastard and we haven't gotten out in a couple of months. Nothing hardcore, sandy wash, couple of rocks to wheel over here and there, mostly a sightseeing trip. Didn't get a lot of photos, but got a few. This area has a long mining history and some pretty cool geographical features. Good day all around.

View attachment 373462
View attachment 373463
View attachment 373464
View attachment 373472
"The Narrows", not dat ass but the rocks. Surprisingly it gets a bit narrow in there...

View attachment 373466 View attachment 373467 View attachment 373468 View attachment 373469 View attachment 373470 View attachment 373471
ET phone home...
Very cool - I love it out there. Nice to see some flowers coming up too.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Yesterday, we took our first trip to 5 Mile Pass Recreation Area. It's only about an hour from our house.
5mile.jpg

GP5MILE.jpg

GYPSYSKY003.jpg

After a few hours of wandering, we found ourselves on the Pony Express Trail
PONYEX.jpg

Link to a short video-
master.m3u8

I'll be returning to 5 Mile with a friend and his young son. He'll be bringing his stock Range Rover

Attachments

• GP5MILE.jpg
    GP5MILE.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 5

Tixslam

We are in Llano Texas for Jeep Adventure Academy and rode around a bit .
My wife has a weird thing for old cemeteries so we had to go here.
Baby Head C.jpg
From there we went to the Regency Bridge.
It dates to 1939 and is the only suspension bridge in Texas that is still used for automobile traffic
Regency Bridge.jpg

Tixslam

I'll find out tomorrow😁, will post a review and a pic or two.
We had a good time here. It was basically a Jeep 101 class, you may or not enjoy it or get much out of it if you are fairly experienced. My wife does not drive off road much and she drove both sessions and she had the time of her life. The food was great and we met a lot of nice people, from 18 to 70's and everyone seemed to have fun. big hill 01.jpg crawl2.jpg

DMF

Nice! Mansons Hideout is cool. Did you find the Car graveyard next to it?... and holy crap, I know that gas station... that's insane.
I didn't know there was a car graveyard, totally missed it. But I peed in his back yard and as soon as I left, got my first check engine light!

Attachments

• 20220401_191032218_iOS.jpeg
    20220401_191032218_iOS.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom