Wheel/ Tire combo

JRoc

Would appreciate some feedback from other krawlers...

New JKUR with an Evo Enforcer 4", plus a 1" body lift. I want to run no smaller than 37's. My questions:

20" rims with 37" tires? Will there be enough of a side wall for proper performance on the difficult trails or should I stick with a 17" rim?

Will a total of 5" lift and skinny fenders be enough clearance to run 40's with spyder lock wheel spacers? Can a 40" go where a 37" can't?

I think that a 20" rim / 37" tire combo would look nice, this is my first choice...if it's going to work.

Thanks for all of your wisdom. :thinking:

prices are higher for a 20" tire, example, a 37x12.5x20 tire is around 500 bucks each. a 37x12.5x17 is 380 bucks. i'd prefer a 17" rim and tire, but it's not my jeep or nor am i buying them. if you like the look and want to spend 500 dollars more for tires, it's up to you.:yup:

prices are higher for a 20" tire, example, a 37x12.5x20 tire is around 500 bucks each. a 37x12.5x17 is 380 bucks. i'd prefer a 17" rim and tire, but it's not my jeep or nor am i buying them. if you like the look and want to spend 500 dollars more for tires, it's up to you.:yup:

Would one tire behave differently then the other on the trails? Any opinions on the 40" vs 37"

Thanks.

Would one tire behave differently then the other on the trails? Any opinions on the 40" vs 37"

Thanks.

well, 40" would do better on the trail, but it's going to cost you. it isn't cheap to run 40's. if you can afford it, go for it.

well, 40" would do better on the trail, but it's going to cost you. it isn't cheap to run 40's. if you can afford it, go for it.

In your opinion, do you think that a 4" Evo Enforcer lift, plus a 1" body lift with skinny fender flares will be enough clearance? I'm not as concerned about cost as I am performance...

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.

In your opinion, do you think that a 4" Evo Enforcer lift, plus a 1" body lift with skinny fender flares will be enough clearance? I'm not as concerned about cost as I am performance...

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.

Should be plenty. What axles are you going with? Plus hydro assist steering?

Should be plenty. What axles are you going with? Plus hydro assist steering?

My intention is to stick with the D44 that come on the Rubicon. I would like to reinforce them but I was going to put the miles on them and do a D60 swap a few years down the road. Steering suggestions? I hadn't considered yet.

My intention is to stick with the D44 that come on the Rubicon. I would like to reinforce them but I was going to put the miles on them and do a D60 swap a few years down the road. Steering suggestions? I hadn't considered yet.

Most run PSC for steering.

Don't forget ball joints and axle shafts. Your going to dump a lot of money into stock axles just to replace them. include 1350 drive shafts also..

Just a thought, but if you don't plan on changing out axles for a few years maybe run 37's on the stock 44's until it's time to do the axle swap. You can get by with the 4.10 gears. Gussets would be a must have tho. :twocents:

Just a thought, but if you don't plan on changing out axles for a few years maybe run 37's on the stock 44's until it's time to do the axle swap. You can get by with the 4.10 gears. Gussets would be a must have tho. :twocents:

That's great advice! :thumbup:

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is my exact setup and the plan I've been on since I bought my Jeep. 4.10's aren't great, but they do the job!

Every one has been so helpful. Thanks guys. It looks like I should stock with 37's and spend a few extra bucks on putting 5.38 gears in. Gussets and a 1350 front drive shaft. Obviously skid plates as well... back to my original question, will a shorter side wall on 37's on 20's have a more difficult time on the trail than if I were to go with a common 17" rim?

Down the road do the D60 swap and bead locks with 40s...

A good rule of thumb is a 2 to 1 ration on tire height vs rim size. For a 37" tire I would personally recommend a 17" wheel as it will give you enough sidewall when aired down to flatten out a little and give you a wider footprint.

A good rule of thumb is a 2 to 1 ration on tire height vs rim size. For a 37" tire I would personally recommend a 17" wheel as it will give you enough sidewall when aired down to flatten out a little and give you a wider footprint.

That sounds like proper advice. Happen to know anyone familiar with Spyderlock wheels? Reviews seem good, from what I can read...would like to know from someone with firsthand experience.

....Someday in the near future, I look forward to being able to pay all of this excellent advice forward. WAL members are the best out there. I'm proud to be a part of this family.

Shiny side up fellas.

That sounds like proper advice. Happen to know anyone familiar with Spyderlock wheels? Reviews seem good, from what I can read...would like to know from someone with firsthand experience.

....Someday in the near future, I look forward to being able to pay all of this excellent advice forward. WAL members are the best out there. I'm proud to be a part of this family.

Shiny side up fellas.

I know SmokinV10 ran them on his rig before the rebuild. Maybe he'll chime in.

Top Bottom