Wheel spec question

When shopping wheels for a JK, what should i be looking for in terms of bore size? Im not very familiar with what will work and what wont...

Jern26

As long as it's the oem bore or bigger then you're good. Lug nuts will center it when you tighten them!

Edit: I think a right-er way for me to explain that was "lug centric" vs "hub centric"

Last edited:
As long as it's the oem bore or bigger then you're good. Lug nuts will center it when you tighten them!

Edit: I think a right-er way for me to explain that was "lug centric" vs "hub centric"
Gotcha. Thats the part i wasnt sure about.

Jern26

Gotcha. Thats the part i wasnt sure about.

In all technicality IIRC the jk factory wheels are hub-centric. But, if you look for aftermarkets, you'll notice there's like 3 brands that actually market JK HC wheels - one I remember is aev.

The other thousands of wheels out there are lug centric. Engineers and racecar builders will defend HC over LC till they're blue in the face...

but, as far as I've researched when I bought my wheels, I couldn't find any reported lug stud failures on jeeps that was actually the rims fault. Some people complain about balancing issues, but from my experience if you tighten your lug nuts in the right order it'll find center just fine.

Just my .02! 👍

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
In Australia it's actually illegal to fit a wheel with an oversize centre bore without fitting an appropriately sized spacer to take up the slack. This is because on very corrugated roads which are all to common here fatigue cracking of the studs is a real possibility if the centre bore isn't matched. I've seen this firsthand on a number of vehicles including jk's.

Top Bottom