Wheel sizes & tires

BR3

Question for the class. What's the voodoo regarding putting a tire that, "Should be used on a rim width of 8-10" on a 7.5" rim?

Lot of people do it, including myself. I air down to 15 psi or so usually with my 35s on Hard Rock Rubicon Wheels, have had no issues. The only trouble would be finding who will mount them given they are outside the approved rim range. Give your local Discount Tire a call.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Lot of people do it, including myself. I air down to 15 psi or so usually with my 35s on Hard Rock Rubicon Wheels, have had no issues. The only trouble would be finding who will mount them given they are outside the approved rim range. Give your local Discount Tire a call.
I would be shocked if any tire/wheel place out there looked at that and even if they did, turned someone away for half an inch difference. Unless it’s a 10” wide wheel on a 10.5 tire, nobody is going to notice that difference.

kevman65

Hooked
If it's a corporate store and the manager is anal, they probably will balk because of "liability" issues.

Generally it's not difficult to find a place to mount them. Until you get into the larger diameter tires and then some of them are not equipped to handle mounting and balancing them.

duktrx

The only place I have had issues regularly is Costco; they will only deal in stock configuration. Discount Tire is in the business to keep its customers happy; I equate them to the old fashion full-service gas stations.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Poor mans beadlock or at least, that's what we used to call it back in the day.

GEPFan

I have a 2021 JT Rubicon with the AccuAir suspension installed. Now time for wheels and tires. AccuAir said: “Wheel setup with a minimum of 4.5" of backspacing is required with a maximum 9" wide wheel”.

Thinking of KMC wheels, possibly 5x127 17” x 9” -15mm OS “Tank” beadlocks and Nitto Ridge Graplers 37” (but may do 38”) x12.5x17. These wheels meet the minimum recommendation correct? I believe a 9”
Wheel with 0 offset would be 4.5 Backspace and -15mm gives about 1/2” more inside clearance or a 4” backspace, correct?

I need Some advice on specs so I don’t blow a bunch of cash and waste time! Have a Moab trip mid June so we need to get this sorted out soon and appreciate any advice!
Thanks! Greg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2021 JT Rubicon with the AccuAir suspension installed. Now time for wheels and tires. AccuAir said: “Wheel setup with a minimum of 4.5" of backspacing is required with a maximum 9" wide wheel”.

Thinking of KMC wheels, possibly 5x127 17” x 9” -15mm OS “Tank” beadlocks and Nitto Ridge Graplers 37” (but may do 38”) x12.5x17. These wheels meet the minimum recommendation correct? I believe a 9”
Wheel with 0 offset would be 4.5 Backspace and -15mm gives about 1/2” more inside clearance or a 4” backspace, correct?

I need Some advice on specs so I don’t blow a bunch of cash and waste time! Have a Moab trip mid June so we need to get this sorted out soon and appreciate any advice!
Thanks! Greg
I think it should be clarified that the 4.5" of back spacing was a maximum. Any more than than and your tires may rub suspension components. Less is fine.

GEPFan

I think it should be clarified that the 4.5" of back spacing was a maximum. Any more than than and your tires may rub suspension components. Less is fine.
Thanks. So that set up would work fine? Should I look for a wheel with more negative offset or less backspace?

Top Bottom