Wheel Protection ideas?

Breer

Caught the Bug
Just wondering if anyone had any luck with a ceramic or any other coating to protect their wheels long term? Was thinking about coating my new wheels before installing them. Current wheels have a white film or something and tons of water spots probably from my sprinklers. I'm not super concerned but having new wheels in the garage and comparing them to my current wheels that are around 5 years old, it is a big difference. I understand things age and these new rings will get scratched but still, the mall crawler in me wants to know if anyone thinks it's worth it or if it's just a waste.. here is what I'm looking at.. TIA 🍻
PXL_20230916_222638175.jpg

PXL_20230916_222730931.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I think wheel fade/wear is inevitable whether it's a Honda Civic or Spinners on a gangstermobile. Unless it's a garaged show car, wear and tear just happens. You can spend tons of time and money and the end result is what is.

onlyone

Yes. Ceramic coat will be a good sacrificial layer for contaminants but obviously not rash. It’s easy and fast to use, so I say go for it. It will last about 2 months or so on wheels.

Breer

Caught the Bug
I think wheel fade/wear is inevitable whether it's a Honda Civic or Spinners on a gangstermobile. Unless it's a garaged show car, wear and tear just happens. You can spend tons of time and money and the end result is what is.
Honestly I feel the same way. But I still use wax on my vehicles... Thought maybe some new fancy stuff might stand the test of time lol.

Breer

Caught the Bug
Yes. Ceramic coat will be a good sacrificial layer for contaminants but obviously not rash. It’s easy and fast to use, so I say go for it. It will last about 2 months or so on wheels.
Thanks for the info. I have never used ceramic coatings so that is great to know. I am determined but 2 months is pretty frequent, at least to me it is. While typing this makes me feel like I'm super lazy, but diligent as I am, I still only manage to wax my vehicles every 6 months and even then I seem to fall behind... the wife's "permanent" tire shine I use manages to fade about every month and that's hard enough to keep up with. Hmmmmm 🤔

WJCO

Meme King
Honestly I feel the same way. But I still use wax on my vehicles... Thought maybe some new fancy stuff might stand the test of time lol.
I'm not against attempting to protect, but with brake dust and hard water, it's near impossible to keep up with. Chrome seems to have more aftermarket support for protection but it's not as common nowadays.

onlyone

Thanks for the info. I have never used ceramic coatings so that is great to know. I am determined but 2 months is pretty frequent, at least to me it is. While typing this makes me feel like I'm super lazy, but diligent as I am, I still only manage to wax my vehicles every 6 months and even then I seem to fall behind... the wife's "permanent" tire shine I use manages to fade about every month and that's hard enough to keep up with. Hmmmmm 🤔
Yes but ceramic coating is so fast and easy to apply and remove you can do your whole car in 15-20 minutes. After prep obviously. It also makes it so easy to clean afterward as well. You can also use it on everything. Rubber, trim, windows, plastic, hell I’ve tried it on tires and it works fine. Lol

The fanatic on one of the YouTube channels I watch frequently does ceramic coat her wheels (and everything else). However, it comes to mind that the lead balancing weights might not stay glued very well on ceramic coating.

Breer

Caught the Bug
Yes but ceramic coating is so fast and easy to apply and remove you can do your whole car in 15-20 minutes. After prep obviously. It also makes it so easy to clean afterward as well. You can also use it on everything. Rubber, trim, windows, plastic, hell I’ve tried it on tires and it works fine. Lol
What prep is there? Does it have to be stripped before putting a new coat on or just a simple wash? Would car wash soap with all the "wax" added into it be a problem for the ceramic coat? Never used the stuff like I mentioned but I like the idea of being able to use it on trim/plastic, or my winch and bumpers.
I think you just need to get more rock rash on the wheels… then you don’t need to worry about it anymore.
I think your right! They look better with some character anyways!

onlyone

What prep is there? Does it have to be stripped before putting a new coat on or just a simple wash? Would car wash soap with all the "wax" added into it be a problem for the ceramic coat? Never used the stuff like I mentioned but I like the idea of being able to use it on trim/plastic, or my winch and bumpers.

I think your right! They look better with some character anyways!
Just a wash, clay bar and alcohol wipe down. Then apply 2’x2’ sections, wait 90 seconds give or take, then wipe off. Try to keep it dry for 24 hours if possible. You’ll wonder why you ever used wax. Never again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom