What's your view like at work?

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
You could definitely get a standard 2500 Rebel and build it up to this level of capability for less.

View attachment 402240
The Rebel IIRC doesn't have the disconnecting swaybar like the powerwagon or the front locker - but almost everything else - correct ? Did they ever fix the lifter issue and are they finally adding the differential sensors to the dpf now (so they aren't regenerating at static intervals - i think 400 miles or so).

*EDIT* - if i remember they were only available on 2500 - not 3500 (so no 1 ton rebels). Also when I was at the dealer was told payload and towing is greatly diminished on rebels.

The Rebel IIRC doesn't have the disconnecting swaybar like the powerwagon or the front locker - but almost everything else - correct ? Did they ever fix the lifter issue and are they finally adding the differential sensors to the dpf now (so they aren't regenerating at static intervals - i think 400 miles or so).

*EDIT* - if i remember they were only available on 2500 - not 3500 (so no 1 ton rebels). Also when I was at the dealer was told payload and towing is greatly diminished on rebels.
Correct - The Rebel doesn’t have the sway bar disconnect or the front locker like the Power Wagon.

As far as the lifters go, this really has always been a Hemi trait for both the 5.7 and 6.4 and sometimes ticking very soon. The lack of oil pressure that typically causes it has no official fix yet - and it’s different case by case since I’ve seen crazy reliable Hemi engines and also ones that fail immediately after purchase.

After talking to service it seems DPF sensors are a common failure still too in the current Rams. 2024s are just really starting to get to dealers (here at least) so time will tell if anything will change.

And for towing, (comparing 2500 Rebel vs 2500 Power Wagon) they are actually identical. Don't know why they told you that.

Last edited:

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
Correct - The Rebel doesn’t have the sway bar disconnect or the front locker like the Power Wagon.

As far as the lifters go, this really has always been a Hemi trait for both the 5.7 and 6.4 and sometimes ticking very soon. The lack of oil pressure that typically causes it has no official fix yet - and it’s different case by case since I’ve seen crazy reliable Hemi engines and also ones that fail immediately after purchase.

After talking to service it seems DPF sensors are a common failure still too in the current Rams. 2024s are just really starting to get to dealers (here at least) so time will tell if anything will change.

And for towing, (comparing 2500 Rebel vs 2500 Power Wagon) are actually identical.
I've seen high mileage hemi's that have been through hell and back and other ones that are sitting in service lots waiting for a new longblock. I will say of the big 3 v8's for some reason the hemi's just sound a little more badass.

I had lifter failure on my '22 2500 and prior to that i had an issue with the DPF/SCR system multiple times - some parts fell off of it and it got pretty awesome for like 10k miles or so then the lifters started getting pretty chatty and i lost well north of $35k (i stopped counting after that). If i was going to go this route again i'd probably pick a power wagon with the 6.4 over the rebel with the Cummins - even if the whole engine fails on a 6.4 and you have to go out of pocket it is FAR cheaper than replacing a 6.7 Cummins. Not to mention the emissions equipment alone can mechanically total a truck out.

jeeeep

Hooked
Well got the loader back to the plant. And I went and weighted the truck empty, and I'm really close to the same amount of fuel as I was when the IL scales got me Saturday. Here's both weights.
I thought it was some federal requirement that all scales be calibrated, how can they be so far off from each other?

is it placement of the tires on the scale? I would think placement on the scales would also have some standard... maybe each state wants it different since it does seem like a pretty good cash cow in fines.

jeeeep

Hooked

AEV markup math:
34zidx.jpg

Dale72

Hooked
I thought it was some federal requirement that all scales be calibrated, how can they be so far off from each other?

is it placement of the tires on the scale? I would think placement on the scales would also have some standard... maybe each state wants it different since it does seem like a pretty good cash cow in fines.
Only if a fee is charged for using the scale. One of the truck stops in Ontario Cal has 2 cat scales right next to each other and the gross weight is never the same for both. But they are normally not off by more than 60 lbs. Most of the state scales are pretty much the same. There is a few that have different types of platforms

Dale72

Hooked

There has been a few states that have gotten busted by the federal dot because of they were caught with the scales having been rigged. But it's been over 20 years since I've heard about it happening

black pearl

Hooked
Had this fun project come into the shop today. The ram for the dump bed broke free and wreaked havoc on the fuel system. When they tried to dump the ram buried itself into the fuel filter housing. This will keep me busy for a minute.

Attachments

• IMG_6372.jpeg
    IMG_6372.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6367.jpeg
    IMG_6367.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6369.jpeg
    IMG_6369.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6370.jpeg
    IMG_6370.jpeg