What was NOT done to your rig this week

CaliCrusher

After four hours of floundering I was unable to complete the installation of my Evo rear fascia and D ring mounts.

Those f'ing wing nuts, damn they are a bitch. I couldn't get past the first one. I read where drew says ORE uses vice grips, but I couldn't even get the thread started, despite feeling the bolt on the nut.

Any tips would be appreciated...

I used orange reflective tape because my JK is crush colored and that turned out sick.

1400460641964.jpg 1400460657821.jpg 1400460671198.jpg

Last edited:

newtdog

That looks pretty sick! I had the same problem and I even broke one of the flanges off on one of the nuts. I finally gave in and bought some different bolts and nuts at Home Depot. Also, I had to use a dremel to make the hole a little bigger to get the nuts to fit. It turned out good but I thought the install was going to be a lot easier.

2010 MANGO TANGO SPORT JKU🇺🇸

CaliCrusher

That looks pretty sick! I had the same problem and I even broke one of the flanges off on one of the nuts. I finally gave in and bought some different bolts and nuts at Home Depot. Also, I had to use a dremel to make the hole a little bigger to get the nuts to fit. It turned out good but I thought the install was going to be a lot easier.

That's a good idea, trying different hardware. One big issue for me is that the fascia holes and frame holes don't quite line up, so I'm hitting the wing nut at an angle, making it tougher to get the thread started.

I'll just lick my wounds, buy more beer, and try again this weekend to get the main bolt installed.

pvanweelden

I would try taking all the other bolts out, and start with just the difficult one (frame rail one) first, since it is not lined up in your pic.
Push the 2 bolts thru the frame and d ring tabs on each side before you tighten anything down.

I like the tape behind the logo :thumb:

CaliCrusher

I would try taking all the other bolts out, and start with just the difficult one (frame rail one) first, since it is not lined up in your pic.
Push the 2 bolts thru the frame and d ring tabs on each side before you tighten anything down.

I like the tape behind the logo :thumb:

Thanks, that's what I was doing towards the end. I even considered super gluing the hex nut in place, but I figured some 'play' was needed to get the bolt started.
Even when I tried screwing the bolt into the wing nut outside the bumper it wasn't that easy. Maybe alternate hardware is an option.

If I can't get it to work I'll just head to ORE

After four hours of floundering I was unable to complete the installation of my Evo rear fascia and D ring mounts.

Those f'ing wing nuts, damn they are a bitch. I couldn't get past the first one. I read where drew says ORE uses vice grips, but I couldn't even get the thread started, despite feeling the bolt on the nut.

I used orange reflective tape because my JK is crush colored and that turned out sick.

View attachment 83831 View attachment 83832 View attachment 83833

If you're referring to the wing nuts that go inside the frame rail, I used a magnet to position the nut and then needle-nose pliers to hold it in place from there. I only installed the d ring mounts, rear facia install may be different

CaliCrusher

If you're referring to the wing nuts that go inside the frame rail, I used a magnet to position the nut and then needle-nose pliers to hold it in place from there. I only installed the d ring mounts, rear facia install may be different

The fascia is pretty much the same as d ring mount, just adding 3/16" more material to the equation. I'll use the pliers/vice grips and give her another go this weekend. Thanks!

13gecko

I ended up cutting a small hole on the jeep side of the rear crossmember on each side. Then used some small needle nose vice grips. Went decently smooth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SaddleTramp

Let's keep this one going, my antenna and CB we're NOT installed this weekend after the PSC antenna mount won't work with the PSC bumper that it was intended for, ;-), unless Firestick has a flexible dogleg shaped antenna I'm not aware of...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400551357.672802.jpg

Rccrwlr

Didn't get a chance to install a replacement WOL windshield sticker on the replacement windshield

--rccrwlr

newtdog

I started to put on my new Bushwackers but did NOT finish the rear. I'll finish up tomorrow and post it up in the OTHER thread....haha!

Jersey_Devil

Have had
Evo gussets
Evo Rockstars
Evo front cntrl arm skids
Artec axle truss
Daystar 3/4 coil spacers
Jet stage 2 chip

All this had been under my bed for over a year and a half now :(

sent from my obama monitoring device

newtdog

I also have NOT installed a JE REEL rear 1350 driveshaft that is in my garage!

Angry Aussie

I've had my evo rockstars and front control skids and the tranny skid and haven't put them on in a few months! I'll try to get it all done this week. :(

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

I used a magnet to hold the wing nut in place close against the frame rail. This gave me just enough play to adjust it when threading the bolt in, yet keep it firmly in place. In fact, I just did it again when I added the EVO side plates to it, no issues whatsoever. Once I got the wingnuts in, I started the rest of the bolts, then tightened everything down. Good luck! Reflective tape looks sweet, now I might be doing it for a 3rd time!

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Dang it! I wish I would have thought of that. The reflective tape is awesome.

budmanm3

I want to pull my exhaust off to paint it black.. but after trying to work it off for 2 or 3 minutes I said f it..

Top Bottom