What was done to your rig this week?

Moochie

Well spent the weekend chasing down squeaky rear brakes and once that was done I went for a short ride and on the way to a friend’s house they started squeaking again! Dam it! So while everything was still warm I put the rear end on jack stands and spun the tires, guess what? No squeak. So I then put the front end on stands and spun the wheels and there was my squeak, except that it was under the middle of the Jeep! :shock:

So I crawl under it and spin a wheel and the squeak was in the front driveshaft! It’s the cordon (sp?) u-joint at the transfer case. After an hour I get it out and the seal is blown in the middle of the u-joints. Looks like it’s time for new u-joints on that driveshaft. Oh joy!

So what did you do to your rig this weekend? LOL

This is a problem with these double cardans. It's impossible to grease the centering ball with the shaft on the Jeep. It can be very expensive if the centering ball area gets severely damaged. Ask me how I know.
I take the shaft off and use a needle adapter on a grease gun to inject grease around the ball.

jeff_in_rc

This is a problem with these double cardans. It's impossible to grease the centering ball with the shaft on the Jeep. It can be very expensive if the centering ball area gets severely damaged. Ask me how I know.
I take the shaft off and use a needle adapter on a grease gun to inject grease around the ball.

Question for you, when you use the needle does any grease get to the ball thru the front most u-joint? The one that mounts to the t-case. It is a huge PITA to remove the damn thing to grease it, I wonder if anyone has found a better solution?

I know that there are full CV joints for the front axles, what about a full CV joint for the driveshaft(s)? Just thinking out loud here.

Moochie

My front shaft u-joints are non serviceable so there is no greasing them. Even if I could, the grease won't get to the centering ball.

KPM171

New SOLID rear diff cover installed this weekend. I am now ready for a trip to the mall or possibly the grocery store.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384892679.781450.jpg

I ordered Inspired Engineering Rock Lights!:D They will be here in a couple weeks due to supply/demad backorder!

That's all for this week...:beer:

I guess I can re-update when the come and I install them...

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I ordered Inspired Engineering Rock Lights!:D They will be here in a couple weeks due to supply/demad backorder!

That's all for this week...:beer:

I guess I can re-update when the come and I install them...

cant wait to see where you install them, ive had 8 sitting around for months now since I have no space for any extra switches to actually run them .

Last edited:

H8MUD

Gotta love brown santa! Friday my son flies in from school and we'll be spending some time installing the sPod, D2's and steel grab handles. Looking forward to some father and son time!

jeff_in_rc

My front shaft u-joints are non serviceable so there is no greasing them. Even if I could, the grease won't get to the centering ball.

OK after I got my driveshaft back from the machine shop it was very clear. I got greasable u-joints all around and the guy showed me the grease port for the centering ball, it's a low profile needle type and it is between the first joint and the ball on the base where the ball mounts to the first joint. More than likely you have to pull the shaft to get to it. I will know more on Friday when I put it back in.

If I remember I will try to get some pics Moochie.

Top Bottom