What was done to your rig this week?

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
After the JWSpeaker headlights put in the the tail lights......nice and finally get to see where i'm backing up....:rolleyes2:

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
New Armor, Cross Member

Even while taking care, our outing to SMORR left us with damage I needed to attend to. I'll post an update regarding sliders separately.

One of the first things I did was install some armor under Stitch. Basic oil pan, cross member, transmission skid. And, for what we tended to use it for, it worked fine.

However after going to SMORR in Missouri, we ended up taking a few hits that took a toll on the armor and cross member. Driving home, immediately noticed I'd picked up engine vibration, especially around 3,250 RPM. Could feel it in the gas pedal as well.

Getting home, could see the cross member had been deflected upward about 3/4 to 1", along with the armor that had been attached to it. Evap canister got deformed about the max amount it could have been w/o damaging evap canister.

Where arrows show, armor deformed, in 2 key places, right up against the exhaust.
1.jpg

Shopping around, found a junkyard replacement would be in the $75 range, plus shipping, if I could even find one. Only ones I could find, the yards didn't want to get into removing. So, I started looking for aftermarket.

Decided to go with Metalcloak's Undercloak solution, plus evap relocation kit.

Here, you can see the difference between stamped steel about 3/32" thick and plate steel at 3/16" thick.
2.jpg
Just wrapping on them, or setting them on concrete, tells you there's a world of difference between them. I think I'll have to replace Stitch before I replace this crossmember. Very confidence inspiring.

It's worth noting, I was concerned about swapping out cross member on my own, and dealing with the weight of these things, again, on my own. The cross member, turned out to be incredibly easy to swap out. Just loosened trans mount, used floor jack to lift powertrain ~1". There are 4 bolts that hold the crossmember in, designed so that it drops out of the mounts. Putting the new one in, easy-peazy. Basically lifted it, got one bolt in one end, did the other, then finished putting the 4 bolts in and tightening. It was my first hint this might be an easier-than-most install. As for the plates, I just used the floor jack to lift/support things as I moved around. With Stitch up on jackstands with plenty of space underneath, moving around wasn't 'too' bad.

In this next image, you can see where the cross member actually buckled the worst.
3.jpg
you'd think we were wreckless. All that happened here, we were in a rocky riverbed, when a front wheel slipped off the rock we were going over. Unseen in the water beneath us was another rock. We hit, the entire jeep reverberated for a moment. (Ugh, sh(t, that's not good).

This closeup gives you an idea of the build quality.
4.jpg

They say install (tank armor, cross member, trans, oil pan) is a 3-4 hour job. Perhaps if you have a lift, unmodified jeep, and did it once before. Having to remove armor, deal with other customizations (interferences), and being on my back on a creeper on my own? Well, let's say a multiple of that number<g>.

Overall, with years of doing work with aftermarket stuff on my vehicles, this is the most impressive kit of it's type that I've installed. Fit, finish, installation, could not have possibly gone better. Everything fit together perfectly. Fasteners worked perfectly, everything lined up. And, being 3/16" plate? Nice. Really pleased.

Of course, with nothing touching the exhaust now, no more engine vibration :).

Ruvicon

So last Xmas I built a set of rock rails for the New Years Run, but didn’t have time to finish fabbing or installing additional bracing. So before I head to the Rubicon on 8/5, figured I’d better pull them off and finish the job before the Rubicon or Fordyce wipes them out. So last weekend I made all the braces.
IMG_9437.jpg
IMG_9438.jpg
IMG_9440.jpg
IMG_9441.jpg

And took today off to weld them in before it got Africa hot.
58585930829__447AB1AB-F8E2-4F02-A9EF-42A554078070.jpg
IMG_9450.jpg

Now letting the paint dry to reinstall probably in the morning.
IMG_9452.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
So last Xmas I built a set of rock rails for the New Years Run, but didn’t have time to finish fabbing or installing additional bracing. So before I head to the Rubicon on 8/5, figured I’d better pull them off and finish the job before the Rubicon or Fordyce wipes them out. So last weekend I made all the braces.
View attachment 331513
View attachment 331514
View attachment 331515
View attachment 331516

View attachment 331517
View attachment 331518

View attachment 331519

Sweet looking forward to seeing them on the Jeep

Lojo

View attachment 331513
View attachment 331514
View attachment 331515
View attachment 331516

View attachment 331517
View attachment 331518

View attachment 331519

Looks great! Nice welds!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
View attachment 331513
View attachment 331514
View attachment 331515
View attachment 331516

View attachment 331517
View attachment 331518

View attachment 331519

Those are looking really good! Reminds me that I need to finish mine one of these days.

Brute

Hooked
View attachment 331513
View attachment 331514
View attachment 331515
View attachment 331516

View attachment 331517
View attachment 331518

View attachment 331519

Looking good Vic...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Shame shame shame, poor 2door

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I know. I’m gonna take it to the dealer in a couple weeks and have them fix it. I can’t get this evap leak figured out so I haven’t been able to register it in two years. Then I think I’m gonna lower it an inch and fix some stuff with it so I can at least drive it. It’s either stretch that or LS the four door. Thinking probably more the latter.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I know. I’m gonna take it to the dealer in a couple weeks and have them fix it. I can’t get this evap leak figured out so I haven’t been able to register it in two years. Then I think I’m gonna lower it an inch and fix some stuff with it so I can at least drive it. It’s either stretch that or LS the four door. Thinking probably more the latter.

How much lift are you running? The last thing I remember seeing, was a write up, swapping Teraflex coils for Rock Krawler, I think it was.

Top Bottom