What was done to your rig this week?

mattfl

Friend wanted one of the roll bar mounts i recently printed so I printed up another one for him. Thought you guys might like to see some clearer pics of it.

The velcro on the inside of the mount is to protect the roll cage and gives it a tighter fit.

Attachments

• FF0BBBEA-4786-4A33-8A63-FAA7B84DEA1C.jpg
    FF0BBBEA-4786-4A33-8A63-FAA7B84DEA1C.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 158
  • A4D58B15-CED8-48B3-977C-9BDADF3983AE.jpg
    A4D58B15-CED8-48B3-977C-9BDADF3983AE.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 0BB0530F-FF56-4385-8091-FDBB9655CDB5.jpg
    0BB0530F-FF56-4385-8091-FDBB9655CDB5.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 135
  • F3FEE129-CEFE-4371-B4FE-66D6AEB25D8F.jpg
    F3FEE129-CEFE-4371-B4FE-66D6AEB25D8F.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 64E377FE-F728-42E9-9E04-835257F30318.jpg
    64E377FE-F728-42E9-9E04-835257F30318.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 18CA3196-197A-47E0-8576-31C59A6DFBF5.jpg
    18CA3196-197A-47E0-8576-31C59A6DFBF5.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 177

Brute

Hooked
Friend wanted one of the roll bar mounts i recently printed so I printed up another one for him. Thought you guys might like to see some clearer pics of it.

The velcro on the inside of the mount is to protect the roll cage and gives it a tighter fit.

When you say "printed", does that mean they were cad designed , then sent to a machine that makes them from a solid block of some composite material (Delrin maybe?)...

JKbrick

Do you select the type of material used to print from, for strength as an example? Not sure how printing works as far as what all you can make with a printer

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mattfl

When you say "printed", does that mean they were cad designed , then sent to a machine that makes them from a solid block of some composite material (Delrin maybe?)...

No, I have a 3D printer and printed it out of PLA, which is a type of plastic. The original design was CAD designed and I modified it to fit the rock hard cage. It was originally designed for the cage on a side by side so it was a little smaller.

Jsouder53

Hooked
No, I have a 3D printer and printed it out of PLA, which is a type of plastic. The original design was CAD designed and I modified it to fit the rock hard cage. It was originally designed for the cage on a side by side so it was a little smaller.

That’s awesome! Glad it worked out [emoji106]

mattfl

Do you select the type of material used to print from, for strength as an example? Not sure how printing works as far as what all you can make with a printer

I print mainly in PLA plastic. There’s quite a few different materials you can print from, mostly plastics, ABS is another popular material you can print with.

As far as strength goes, you can make things extremely strong. You can print with 100% infill, which basically means it’s a solid piece of plastic. Since this guy is just sitting on the roll cage and should be pretty static as far as movement, I didn’t quite print it at 100% but you’d be hard pressed to be able to break the individual pieces of it.

If you can design it, you can print it, probably lol

I’ve got a printable area of about 12”x12”x12” so that’s about the only thing limiting me as far as what I can print. If I want to go bigger I have to cut the model up into multiple parts and then combine them after printing.

JKbrick

I print mainly in PLA plastic. There’s quite a few different materials you can print from, mostly plastics, ABS is another popular material you can print with.

As far as strength goes, you can make things extremely strong. You can print with 100% infill, which basically means it’s a solid piece of plastic. Since this guy is just sitting on the roll cage and should be pretty static as far as movement, I didn’t quite print it at 100% but you’d be hard pressed to be able to break the individual pieces of it.

I’ve got a printable area of about 12”x12”x12” so that’s about the only thing limiting me as far as what I can print. If I want to go bigger I have to cut the model up into multiple parts and then combine them after printing.

Wow that is very cool, I’d love to see that print something sometime. Was this like a 3 hour deal or how long does it take?

Brute

Hooked

That is very cool...

Seahawkfan

Hooked
You’re luck is like mine. I waited a year to replace mine because I knew I’d get another crack right away. So I replaced it then two weeks later got a small one which I repaired, then two weeks later got another one. Crap!

The repair you are talking about is this something you did? Or had done? If you did it how and what? I got 2 rock chips last time I was in Phoenix , both within an hour of each other. Thanks

BaddestCross

Well, what WASN'T done was my front shock relocation brackets... Ended up replacing the front axle seals in my son's XJ instead. That was a 3 hour project that ended up being an all-day affair. 🙄

At least I don't have to worry about oil on his brake rotors though.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom