What was done to your rig this week?

It stopped raining so I thought I'd take a quick 30 minutes and replace the PCV valve on the 2015 JK 3.6.... 2 hours later ...what a PIA....
Well I'm right behind you on similar work. I went a bought a new PCV valve because of your post though. It just seemed like too much fun to NOT do while I'm in there. 😂 Wish me luck on swapping that thing out today along with the oil cooler! 😭1000004200.jpg

Did you win?
I did! Spark plugs, coils, oil cooler, PCV valve, and drilled/tapped my steering box since I was staring at it! It was definitely a pain to get those 2 screws out of the PCV valve... The hex bolts were much better like you said. I cut the top of the plastic on battery tray off just to make life easier, it was definitely in the way along with the metal bracket that holds those coolant lines up... 1000004276.jpg

I did! Spark plugs, coils, oil cooler, PCV valve, and drilled/tapped my steering box since I was staring at it! It was definitely a pain to get those 2 screws out of the PCV valve... The hex bolts were much better like you said. I cut the top of the plastic on battery tray off just to make life easier, it was definitely in the way along with the metal bracket that holds those coolant lines up... View attachment 398357
I thought about cutting the battery tray; I think the engineers designed it to be larger than necessary just to be in the way.

I tried to rig up a funnel and a 5 gallon bucket and still made a mess.

Hosed everything down for like 10 minutes straight ..
The radiator hose turned loose and it was just a downpour. Then, like an idiot, I didn't put the cap back on all the way so when it started getting to temp I dumped more everywhere. So yay for vehicle maintenance 🤣

I tried to rig up a funnel and a 5 gallon bucket and still made a mess.

Hosed everything down for like 10 minutes straight ..
The radiator hose turned loose and it was just a downpour. Then, like an idiot, I didn't put the cap back on all the way so when it started getting to temp I dumped more everywhere. So yay for vehicle maintenance 🤣
you know there is a petcock on the radiator that avoids the mess. On the passenger side, it's plastic, counterclockwise turn and pull out slightly, drain points straight down (you could attach a hose to it). Dorman brand petcock replacement costs about $8.
RadiatorPlug.jpgPetcocklocation.JPG

you know there is a petcock on the radiator that avoids the mess. On the passenger side, it's plastic, counterclockwise turn and pull out slightly, drain points straight down (you could attach a hose to it). Dorman brand petcock replacement costs about $8.
When I was draining the coolant down to change the oil cooler, I couldn't get the petcock to work well to save my life. Maybe I needed to pull it out more? It was a leaky mess and most didn't even come out the down spout... Just out of the threads. No matter what I did it wouldn't improve. Is there a trick to that thing?

View attachment 398409View attachment 398410

Yea I know all about the ol pet cock.
But I do appreciate the cock pics anyway.

Will it drain the block tho if the thermostat is closed? I feel like most of my mess was the block puking out coolant.

When I was draining the coolant down to change the oil cooler, I couldn't get the petcock to work well to save my life. Maybe I needed to pull it out more? It was a leaky mess and most didn't even come out the down spout... Just out of the threads. No matter what I did it wouldn't improve. Is there a trick to that thing?
you have to pull out while twisting, I think it's a full 180* turn, the o-ring seats tight

Yea I know all about the ol pet cock.
But I do appreciate the cock pics anyway.

Will it drain the block tho if the thermostat is closed? I feel like most of my mess was the block puking out coolant.
once it starts, open the thermostat and it'll drain most of the block, there was very little mess when I changed out the water pump on the '10 JKU

Was having temp issues so invested a whole $20 in a no spill funnel to burp the system. Worth every penny. I can't believe how many bubbles have come out. Been going for around 30 min now. Still see some every so often but it has slowed down a lot.

Was having temp issues so invested a whole $20 in a no spill funnel to burp the system. Worth every penny. I can't believe how many bubbles have come out. Been going for around 30 min now. Still see some every so often but it has slowed down a lot.
have you raised the front end of the Jeep?

I've found jacking up the front end and using one of those no-spill funnels works great to get all the air out after doing work that loses most of the radiator fluid.
Does a quick job of getting it burped.

have you raised the front end of the Jeep?

I've found jacking up the front end and using one of those no-spill funnels works great to get all the air out after doing work that loses most of the radiator fluid.
Does a quick job of getting it burped.
I didn't lift the front but it did great anyway. Let it run for 45 minutes to an hour and the bubbles stopped. The first time the thermostat opened I thought it was going to boil over from all the air. I'm definitely a believer.

Long story short, it looks like the Jeep needs cam phasers after almost 160,000 miles. While I’m in there
IMG_7711.jpeg
I’m gonna replace the rockers & lifters.

Finally got everything installed in Bank 2. (Didn’t take a photo. It was too dark and I was too tired.) Just need to torque everything, replace all the valve cover gaskets before finishing up.

PRO TIP: Replace the gaskets around the spark plug wells and the cam position sensors before they become old and brittle. They’re needed to seal out debris and will drop bits & pieces on the cams and rockers as they deteriorate.

Inspected each rocker and cams. Everything was in good shape except 3 or 4 rockers had a tiny bit of radial play. They probably would have lasted another 30 or 40 thousand miles, but I’m glad to catch them now.

After buttoning up Bank 2, I’ll tackle Bank 1.

PRO TIP: The YouTube guys always leave out something when posting videos about “How Easy It Is To Do It Yourself”. Like how the specialty tool for relieving spring tension may not push far enough to install the pin to hold the tensioner out of the way.

Long story short, it looks like the Jeep needs cam phasers after almost 160,000 miles. While I’m in there

I’m gonna replace the rockers & lifters.

Finally got everything installed in Bank 2. (Didn’t take a photo. It was too dark and I was too tired.) Just need to torque everything, replace all the valve cover gaskets before finishing up.

PRO TIP: Replace the gaskets around the spark plug wells and the cam position sensors before they become old and brittle. They’re needed to seal out debris and will drop bits & pieces on the cams and rockers as they deteriorate.

Inspected each rocker and cams. Everything was in good shape except 3 or 4 rockers had a tiny bit of radial play. They probably would have lasted another 30 or 40 thousand miles, but I’m glad to catch them now.

After buttoning up Bank 2, I’ll tackle Bank 1.

PRO TIP: The YouTube guys always leave out something when posting videos about “How Easy It Is To Do It Yourself”. Like how the specialty tool for relieving spring tension may not push far enough to install the pin to hold the tensioner out of the way.
Very nice! That is a lot of work!

Yes. Yes, it is! I’m taking it slow because I’ve never performed this job before. It’s not difficult, it’s just there are a lot of details to attend to and quite a bit of disassembly required just to get to the cams. I should have thoroughly cleaned the engine before starting. I didn’t realize just how insidious Utah Moon Dust and mud is.

Top Bottom